to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games

Your comments on our articles.

Playing it safe

2007's Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games has sold more than ten million copies. Ten million. When the sequel inevitably came sliding down the slopes then, there was always the risk we'd end up with a 'playing it safe' rehash, in an attempt by Sega to replicate the phenomenal sales figures of the first game. And who could blame them?... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games

Postby carterlink » 16 Oct 2009, 19:52

I suppose Sega are not to be blamed for playing it safe. Any developer would after the mammoth sales of the first game.

That said, I would have expected something of a far better and more polished quality from a joint venture between Ninty and Sega. - I borrowed the original from a friend and was shocked at how rough and shoddy it all looked and played. Apparently, this is more of the same and riddled with frame-rate issues.

As much as I'm a fan of well-implemented motion and pointer controlled gameplay, there is just way too much aimless flailing about in these games for me to enjoy them.
carterlink 44

Postby slatters » 17 Oct 2009, 17:08

I never played the first game but then i've always been more of a winter games fan.

Although at times I feel the need to grab a 'proper' controller to play, i'm quite impressed thus far.

IF YOU@RE GETTING IT, IT'S IN MORRISONS FOR £18.99!
A STEAL :D
slatters 46

Postby kimoak » 21 Oct 2009, 20:07

slatters wrote:I never played the first game but then i've always been more of a winter games fan.

Although at times I feel the need to grab a 'proper' controller to play, i'm quite impressed thus far.

IF YOU@RE GETTING IT, IT'S IN MORRISONS FOR £18.99!
A STEAL :D

At that price, it's definitely worth it. Ta for the heads up. I may pop into Morrisons on the way home from work :)

I guess this type of game has always been a button basher. From as far back as Hyper Sports and Daley Thompsons Decathlon.
kimoak 57