to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

PES 2010

Your comments on our articles.

A disappointing result...

For years now EA has strived to bring FIFA up to the same standard as PES, often mimicking Konami's masterpiece or (ahem) 'borrowing' gameplay elements in the process. PES, meanwhile, has procrastinated, barely changing for each iteration until - finally - it finds the boot's on the other foot; FIFA's the champ and Konami are looking to EA for inspiration.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

PES 2010

Postby Last Ninja » 15 Oct 2009, 10:42

rubbish talk cvg have played bout demos fifa is still as muck as it was ten years ago who cares about game modes and real players an all pro evo still plays a far superior game of ball fifa plays lightweight players run like fairy princesses the ball floats wen kicked plus EA suck wat do canadians know about our sport i know which one i will be gettin
Last Ninja 8
 
Posts: 17
Joined: 30 Jul 2009, 23:46
Location: Ireland

Postby FiltyMonkey » 15 Oct 2009, 10:49

To Last Ninja - a hearty nelson muntz 'Ha ha'
Currently playing -

Castlevania IV
Wave Race 64
Mass Effect 3
FiltyMonkey 45
 
Posts: 437
Joined: 20 Jul 2007, 20:57
Location: United Kingdom
Xbox Live: FiltyMonkey
PSN ID: MegaMunky

PES 2010

Postby Shabozi » 15 Oct 2009, 10:50

Deja vu anyone?
User avatar
Shabozi 49
 
Posts: 354
Joined: 12 Mar 2009, 18:26
Location: United Kingdom

Postby The_KFD_Case » 15 Oct 2009, 11:21

My ego is stroked after reading this review since I already purchased FIFA 10. While FIFA 10 is tremendous fun when the plays go right, it can also induce game-controllor-throwing-desires levels of frustration with some of the less amicable "quirks" in that game. If PES 2010 is worse then I would strongly recommend renting it first, just as I recommend you rent FIFA 10 as well if you have any doubts whatsoever. I don't regret buying FIFA 10, yet I got it at half RRP price so that helps, and I do find it to be tremendously satisfying and fun as my skill has increased but there are still naggles. Oh yes, there most certainly are....
"Unfounded optimism is no worse than relentless pessimism."
User avatar
The_KFD_Case 65
 
Posts: 7957
Joined: 09 Sep 2008, 14:16
Location: Norway

Postby shiftymorgan » 15 Oct 2009, 11:34

The_KFD_Case wrote:My ego is stroked after reading this review since I already purchased FIFA 10. While FIFA 10 is tremendous fun when the plays go right, it can also induce game-controllor-throwing-desires levels of frustration with some of the less amicable "quirks" in that game. If PES 2010 is worse then I would strongly recommend renting it first, just as I recommend you rent FIFA 10 as well if you have any doubts whatsoever. I don't regret buying FIFA 10, yet I got it at half RRP price so that helps, and I do find it to be tremendously satisfying and fun as my skill has increased but there are still naggles. Oh yes, there most certainly are....


That is exactly how I feel about fifa,
didn't buy 09 and haven't played a football game for ages, and lept on fifa when it was £25 and am glad it was the right choice.
shiftymorgan 44
 
Posts: 112
Joined: 06 Dec 2002, 14:44
Location: United Kingdom

Postby milky_joe » 15 Oct 2009, 11:46

Interesting review, I'll still be picking PES up, the buggy mess that is FIFA's manager mode is forcing me back to the Master League, which you seem to suggest is the major plus point.

Actually, now that I mention FIFA's manager mode problems... why is it that not one single review anywhere mentioned the fact that it was a buggy mess? It can't have been that hard to miss...

That's seriously dented my confidence in a lot of reviewers.
Born to be a Wanderer...
User avatar
milky_joe 59
 
Posts: 1214
Joined: 07 Mar 2008, 02:27
Location: United Kingdom
PSN ID: MilkyJoe84
Wii Code: 1420-5183-0241-2476

Postby Eclipse Dj » 15 Oct 2009, 11:57

Whilst I'm not disputing the key facts such as PES 2010's poorer animation, commentary, goal keepers and control when compared to FIFA 10, it seems this and other reviews have barely gone into depth of the new Master League mode - which many still judge as superior to FIFA's Management mode.

Also no-one has reviewed online (which, although I understand is hard to judge until everyone is on the servers) it should certainly be quite a big part of a final review score. So yet again another large aspect of the game is overlooked.

PES 2010 may be disappointing in many ways but so are these short reviews. PES has made big strides to re-gain some ground, if Konami can sort out the above issues and continue to push forward as they did this last year, then PES 2011 will be a worthy competitor again!
Eclipse Dj 49
 
Posts: 727
Joined: 10 Sep 2007, 13:50
Location: United Kingdom

Postby fanboy » 15 Oct 2009, 12:35

milky_joe wrote:Interesting review, I'll still be picking PES up, the buggy mess that is FIFA's manager mode is forcing me back to the Master League, which you seem to suggest is the major plus point.

Actually, now that I mention FIFA's manager mode problems... why is it that not one single review anywhere mentioned the fact that it was a buggy mess? It can't have been that hard to miss...

That's seriously dented my confidence in a lot of reviewers.


I'll tell you why, well, my theory anyway.

The reviewers don't play a full season. In fact, I reckon most reviewers just have a few matches when it comes to footy games and then just score it.

I've been convinced of that ever since I saw a number of reviews of EAs Euro 2008 game where they said it was 'FIFA 08 with the European Championship license tagged on', when the actual truth was that it was unrecognisable from FIFA 08 and had much more in common with FIFA 09. It sounds daft, but the difference was so clear and apparent that I've never trusted a footy game review since.
Image
User avatar
fanboy 63
 
Posts: 4186
Joined: 15 Nov 2007, 21:21
Location: United Kingdom

Postby Black Mantis » 15 Oct 2009, 12:52

fanboy wrote:
milky_joe wrote:Interesting review, I'll still be picking PES up, the buggy mess that is FIFA's manager mode is forcing me back to the Master League, which you seem to suggest is the major plus point.

Actually, now that I mention FIFA's manager mode problems... why is it that not one single review anywhere mentioned the fact that it was a buggy mess? It can't have been that hard to miss...

That's seriously dented my confidence in a lot of reviewers.


I'll tell you why, well, my theory anyway.

The reviewers don't play a full season. In fact, I reckon most reviewers just have a few matches when it comes to footy games and then just score it.

I've been convinced of that ever since I saw a number of reviews of EAs Euro 2008 game where they said it was 'FIFA 08 with the European Championship license tagged on', when the actual truth was that it was unrecognisable from FIFA 08 and had much more in common with FIFA 09. It sounds daft, but the difference was so clear and apparent that I've never trusted a footy game review since.


100% spot-on there. I thought I was the only one who thought that, such was the difference IMO.
Black Mantis 67
 
Posts: 4782
Joined: 21 May 2008, 09:20
Location: United Kingdom

Postby palancas7 » 15 Oct 2009, 13:25

"Lacks the thrills of 2009"
PES 2009 was rubbish. What are these people on?
palancas7 57
 
Posts: 681
Joined: 17 Dec 2007, 11:22
Location: United Kingdom

Postby dahsif » 15 Oct 2009, 15:01

I'm glad I bought FIFA 10, but the reviewer doesn't always make sense. he seems to criticize PES for trying to be less arcadey and more true to its simulation roots.
The demo wasn't very good, and it was enough for me to give my money to EA for the first time in a decade.
User avatar
dahsif 32
 
Posts: 180
Joined: 20 May 2005, 15:09

Postby Parky92 » 15 Oct 2009, 15:41

This is a very poor review, who ever wrote this should be embarrased. He just moans about the game being not arcade enough when thats exactly why PES 2008 And 2009 were slated. Also
"Players are more evenly matched for speed, too, so attackers with genuine pace, such as Walcott, will struggle to shrug off the attentions of even the slowest defenders, making it tough to steal more than a yard".
Thats just lies!!
Parky92 31
 
Posts: 20
Joined: 12 Jun 2009, 18:08

Postby shellster2 » 15 Oct 2009, 15:56

well i finally bit the bullet and switched to fifa having played both demos and i now feel vindicated in my choice. sorry konami you actually need to try hard now, you cash cow is on its way to the abatoire!
Loving LCFC's surge to the top.
User avatar
shellster2 68
 
Posts: 3943
Joined: 06 Oct 2001, 22:34
Location: United Kingdom
Xbox Live: scootoss
PSN ID: scootoss
Wii Code: wiiu - scootoss
Steam: scootoss

Postby sweatyBallacks » 15 Oct 2009, 16:51

Well this review is unhelpful by the fact it doesn't even touch on what the improvements to the Master League actually are.

This is important info we're missing.

I've possibly spent more hours on PES 2008's (the good PS2 version) Master League mode than any game in recent memory.

The gameplay in that PS2 version is timeless I tell you, much like the legendary PES5. But no-one plays on the PS2 anymore so they've missed out.
User avatar
sweatyBallacks 45
 
Posts: 842
Joined: 14 Dec 2008, 01:23
Location: United Kingdom

Postby hull_boy22 » 15 Oct 2009, 21:02

What the crap is wrong with the PES people? How can they go from producing games that were so good it was unreal, to games of such a quality that make us want to check out dross like Fifa?! So disappointing. And kudos, to the reviewer, for managing to get as far as half-way through the second-to-last paragraph before mentioning the completely irrelevant aspects of the game, like the commentary :x
hull_boy22 10
 
Posts: 38
Joined: 07 Oct 2007, 13:00
Location: United Kingdom

Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Balladeer, budge, Google Adsense [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] and 8 guests

The forum teamDelete all forum cookiesAll times are UTC [ DST ]