Hydrophobia Hands-On Preview

Your comments on our articles.

Hands-on with the watery romp...

By the year 2051 the world's population will have hit a staggering total of 9.8 billion. Mankind's resources will be unable to cope with the demands. Clean water will be hard to source. Food supplies are projected to be even tougher to maintain. Space shortages will give rise to housing problems. For many the world will not end in a bang - rather it will wither away slowly as its inhabitants are starved and left without the basics needed for life.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Hydrophobia Hands-On Preview

Postby WHERESMYMONKEY » 28 Sep 2009, 16:58

f**king AY!!!!!
I thought this had been canned. Can't wait!!!
Comedy. gaming. Lemmings? You do the math www.laserlemming.com
WHERESMYMONKEY 66

Postby jonbwfc » 28 Sep 2009, 17:27

Does this mean this is now a 360 exclusive, or is there going to be a PSN version as well?
jonbwfc 58

Postby ted1138 » 28 Sep 2009, 17:44

:? But why call it "Hydrophobia"? Surely it should be "Aquaphobia"(unless maybe there's a secret sub-plot involving Rabid dolphins? :wink:
"People mistake the past for the present and they also mistake the present for the future"
Ken Levine
ted1138 61

Postby StonecoldMC » 28 Sep 2009, 18:29

Summer of Games 2010 anyone?

MS said they wanted to lift the quality of titles being released on XBLA, this would seem to fit that pefrectly.

Another little bit of DLC to download then (I really need to get a bigger hard drive!).
"Nintendo want to make money by supplying fun, Sony want to make money by supplying Art, MS want to make money."

INTERNET, APRIL 2014
StonecoldMC 82
Global Moderator

Postby The_KFD_Case » 28 Sep 2009, 18:43

The good news: This sounds interesting and looks good.

The bad news: Why, why, why must it be episodic content?! FFS! That sh*t always gets old! I'm glad I didn't buy any of the episodic content for HL2 until a few months back. I enjoyed both episodes yet five years on and the third episode is still nowhere to be seen. I'll buy this game if and when it is released on a retail disc providing it rates favourably. Episodic content = No thanks!
"Unfounded optimism is no worse than relentless pessimism."
The_KFD_Case 65

Postby sonic_uk » 28 Sep 2009, 20:49

The_KFD_Case wrote:The good news: This sounds interesting and looks good.

The bad news: Why, why, why must it be episodic content?! FFS! That sh*t always gets old! I'm glad I didn't buy any of the episodic content for HL2 until a few months back. I enjoyed both episodes yet five years on and the third episode is still nowhere to be seen. I'll buy this game if and when it is released on a retail disc providing it rates favourably. Episodic content = No thanks!
Couldn't agree more. As you rightly pointed out using HL2 as a classic example, havn't they learnt from Valves mistake? I too wouldn't consider buying it until I saw a complete game on a disc.
Own...360(Slim), Ps4, Ps3(SuperSlim), Ps2, Ps1, PsVita, XperiaPlay, Gamecube, Snes, Dreamcast, Megadrive, MegaCd 2, Saturn, Gamegear, PC

Owned...Acorn Electron, Atari 2600, Gameboy, Master System, 32x, GBA SP, Xbox, Psp, 360(Premium), Ps3(BC), Wii(BC)
sonic_uk 56

To Ted1138

Postby SweetSynaa » 28 Sep 2009, 20:50

Ok Smarty-Pants. When you go to correct someone (or a bunch of people as is the case) at least to try to be correct.

Hydrophobia is the correct and proper way (i.e., Greek) to refer to the fear of water. Only in English usage do we use the term to describe a symptom of rabies.

Some dummy with no knowledge of language or etymology made up the term Aquaphobia. It's not even a real word. Look it up, it's not in the dictionary. It's not even an accepted term outside of the US.
SweetSynaa 1

Postby The_KFD_Case » 28 Sep 2009, 23:24

On a side-note, as the author of this article noted, the hypothetical scenario presented in this game is being taken very seriously by some of the most recognized and influential scientific circles (ex. the UN climate change committee). Past political articles have also alluded to this scenario, although in one case it was/is predicted to be a clash of cultures. However, once the resource strain grows greater things will get uglier. A lot uglier and I truly do worry, even dread, what may transpire over the next 50 years barring some sort of technological revolution in the energy and agricultural industries, similar to the "green revolution" of the 1960s that saw the mass use of fertilizers and pesticides that led to an explosion in crop yields. On the agricultural front genetic modification of crops and food products may allow for a second revolution in the agricultural industry, but there are the very real risks of diminished biodiversity and all the long term damage and destruction that path potentially exposes us to. As for energy...fusion technology can not come quickly enough, but I do not know how far along any such developments may, or may not, be at present time.

The developed nations should prepare to help it's own people first, then assist as many foreigners as it can without sinking the proverbial "life boat" that is each individual nation - this will likely (and unfortunately,) lead to the denial of tens of millions, if not hundreds of millions of people to starve to death or otherwise suffer/perish under brutal and violent environs. Each country should be prepared to defend themselves rigorously from what could escalate into a global uprising from the poverty stricken masses and desperate authoritarian governments looking both for resources and an external focus for their peoples' plight. All of this presumes that there will be countries that can more or less sustain their own societies food, water and energy wise. Just as we are now seeing the first "downward mobile" generations (meaning that we could end up worse off than our parents despite coming from well educated backgrounds,)it is conceivable that we may find ourselves going back to simpler ways of living out of sheer necessity - then again, there are certain energy sources (i.e. coal for 1 to 3 centuries at current consumption globally, nuclear power, etc.) that could provide energy to power electrical grids and industries to some extent (plastics are oil based products so that could become a problem, although oil can be created from charcoal - it's an extremely expensive and inefficient process that the Germans considered during WWII). It could turn very ugly indeed.

Some scientists and analysts have ventured forward with the view that in the future wars may be fought over access to water, the way wars are fought over oil today. Desalination plants may offset this to some extent but they are complex creations and they are expensive (but if the alternative is dying from thirst then I suppose the price is almost irrelevant).
"Unfounded optimism is no worse than relentless pessimism."
The_KFD_Case 65

Re: To Ted1138

Postby ted1138 » 29 Sep 2009, 02:56

SweetSynaa wrote:Ok Smarty-Pants. When you go to correct someone (or a bunch of people as is the case) at least to try to be correct.

Hydrophobia is the correct and proper way (i.e., Greek) to refer to the fear of water. Only in English usage do we use the term to describe a symptom of rabies.

Some dummy with no knowledge of language or etymology made up the term Aquaphobia. It's not even a real word. Look it up, it's not in the dictionary. It's not even an accepted term outside of the US.

Relax, no need to get yer panties in a bunch, didn't the cheeky little :wink: indicate to you I'm not taking this seriously? :|

The correct Greek-derived term for ‘water-fear’ is hydrophobia. However, this word has long been used in English[7] to refer specifically to a symptom of later-stage rabies, which manifests itself in humans as difficulty in swallowing, fear when presented with liquids to drink and an inability to quench one's thirst.

In order to have an unambiguous term to refer to a general phobia about water or drowning, the term ‘aquaphobia’ has been coined, by jamming the Latin word aqua (which normally ought to have the form aqui- when used as a prefix) onto the front of the Greek word ‘phobia’.
"People mistake the past for the present and they also mistake the present for the future"
Ken Levine
ted1138 61

Postby WHERESMYMONKEY » 29 Sep 2009, 09:15

i think its been cut in three due to the limitations of XBLA. Its only got a 2 Gb limit. therefore a game of this size will probably be the same as a full retail disc eg, 6gbish. Unless they released it all in one on games on demand (which wouldn't be a bad move for larger games) it needs to be cut in three.

Its more a hardware issue than anything else i think.

the fact that they can charge you 3 times for it too probably factors in there somewhere as well no doubt.
Comedy. gaming. Lemmings? You do the math www.laserlemming.com
WHERESMYMONKEY 66

Postby NEOnburN9 » 29 Sep 2009, 10:11

Im not one for episodic content and yes where the F*** is HL episode3( i hate waiting just a week for the next episode of your fav tv series i just usually wait for the whole series to finish then watch it all in one go) but anyway im thinking that this might actually work with this game and looking forward to see how this turns out...
NEOnburN9 49

Postby MPH » 29 Sep 2009, 13:00

Until this is released on a disc, I too will not be getting it. Maybe after a year (if after that time they did release it on a disc) I won't bother though unless it's really good.
MPH 54

Postby Masterspy » 30 Sep 2009, 00:45

So Hydrophobia eh? Can we argue about that again please :D
Masterspy 28