to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

'Ambassador program will get Wii users online' - Braben

Your comments on our articles.

LostWinds man "wouldn't be surprised" if Sony and MS copy Nintendo scheme

Nintendo's new 'Connection Ambassador Program' will help encourage Wii users to go online, says LostWinds and Elite creator, David Braben.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

'Ambassador program will get Wii users online' - Braben

Postby originalbadboy » 17 Sep 2009, 15:50

Stop worrying about what Ninty, M$ and $ony are doing Braben and give us Elite 4 god damn it!
originalbadboy 47

Xbox Live: originalbadboy

Postby lordirongut » 17 Sep 2009, 16:06

It's a good idea, but what would get even more people online would be if they dropped friend codes, I mean, what sort of myopic idea was that? It pretty much prevents any kind of linking up with people online.
"Our world cannot be viewed through the glasses of common sense" - Masato Arai.

Twitter: @hyakushiki1234
JRPG/Japanese Culture blog: http://shrinetoamaterasu.blogspot.com/
lordirongut 66

PSN ID: lordirongut

Re: 'Ambassador program will get Wii users online' - Braben

Postby kimoak » 17 Sep 2009, 16:06

originalbadboy wrote:Stop worrying about what Ninty, M$ and $ony are doing Braben and give us Elite 4 god damn it!

Oh, how cool would that be! My life would be over as I know it :)
kimoak 57

Postby altitude2k » 17 Sep 2009, 16:22

lordirongut wrote:It's a good idea, but what would get even more people online would be if they dropped friend codes, I mean, what sort of myopic idea was that? It pretty much prevents any kind of linking up with people online.

How many times did I swap friend codes since having my Wii at launch? Once. How long did it take to get it right? At least 3 attempts. Have I ever used it as a way to play games? Never.
altitude2k 64

Xbox Live: aLTiTuDe
PSN ID: altitude2k
Steam: altitude2k

Postby Hobophobik » 17 Sep 2009, 17:19

altitude2k wrote:
lordirongut wrote:It's a good idea, but what would get even more people online would be if they dropped friend codes, I mean, what sort of myopic idea was that? It pretty much prevents any kind of linking up with people online.

How many times did I swap friend codes since having my Wii at launch? Once. How long did it take to get it right? At least 3 attempts. Have I ever used it as a way to play games? Never.

I'm going to be really surprised if they ever abandon the friend codes system. I believe they'd already been using it on the DS before the Wii, so had ample opportunity to figured out it's utterly irritating. Oh well :(
Hobophobik 37

Postby YCshinobi » 17 Sep 2009, 18:57

People thought that the Wii number code would be the improvement over the DS's friend code system, having one code for every game, but nope, they didn't figure it out, every single online game still comes with its own seperate friend code, rendering the Wii code completely useless.

Nintendo can keep the friend code system, just make sure we only need one for every game next time, have an accept/decline request system instead of both people having to add eachother, and let us interact more with people, besides sending emails, pics, and mii's, see who's online for instance, and what games they own and what they're currently playing, and being able to invite them or join their game session. That would be a good start to improving Nintendo's online community. Basically, just rip-off Xbox Live, Nintendo.
YCshinobi 65

Xbox Live: ycshinobi
PSN ID: ycshinobi
Wii Code: Wii U... YCshinobi
Steam: ycshinobi

Postby ei8hty5ive » 17 Sep 2009, 22:53

altitude2k wrote:

Snap!
ei8hty5ive 34

Postby ei8hty5ive » 17 Sep 2009, 22:57

A bit off topic...I wonder if Braben made a new Elite game, would you still be able to click on a ship and choose autopilot and keep following and blasting until he blows up like previous?!?! Love it! please make a new Elite! Please!!!
ei8hty5ive 34

Postby Asinine » 18 Sep 2009, 07:50

altitude2k wrote:
lordirongut wrote:
It's a good idea, but what would get even more people online would be if they dropped friend codes, I mean, what sort of myopic idea was that? It pretty much prevents any kind of linking up with people online.

Snap!

Snap!!

Absolutely terrible way to link up, I connected to one friend and it's next to useless anyway and the Wii shop and all those dead-end points are also one of the worst conceived things going too and it's all so friggin' slow. I've steered clear ever since.
Sony and MS have it covered... thank god.
Asinine 49

Postby quintus » 18 Sep 2009, 08:46

Asinine wrote:
altitude2k wrote:
lordirongut wrote:

Snap!

Snap!!

Absolutely terrible way to link up, I connected to one friend and it's next to useless anyway and the Wii shop and all those dead-end points are also one of the worst conceived things going too and it's all so friggin' slow. I've steered clear ever since.
Sony and MS have it covered... thank god.

half snap!

the friend code system has actually prevented me from linking up to people I know with a wii.Although the wii shop is actually alright with all the retro and new stuff

PS. MS also use 'dead end points', so I guess only Sony have it covered for you lol
quintus 45