to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

No More Heroes needs "a new platform"

Your comments on our articles.

"I think this is the last NMH that is going to be developed on Wii," says Suda

Grasshopper Manufacture CEO Goichi Suda reckons his dev studio will need to look past Wii if it is to evolve No More Heroes into a major franchise.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Postby WHERESMYMONKEY » 02 Jul 2009, 11:30

I think the wii is the perfect platform for it. in terms of gameplay and audience. On the wii No More Heroes sticks out as a must have title. I think if it moved platforms to either the 360 or PS3 it'd just get lost under a sea of shooters and other trite crap.

Come on Suda you're one of the best creative minds in the industry, surely you can figure out how to grow a series in more ways than just graphically.
Comedy. gaming. Lemmings? You do the math www.laserlemming.com
WHERESMYMONKEY 66

Postby gothchild » 02 Jul 2009, 11:30

I'm not so sure that it is an amazing franchise tbh :\
Everyone sucks, just don't tell them
gothchild 55

Postby monkey_puncher » 02 Jul 2009, 11:32

Considering how badly the first game on Wii sold, is anyone really surprised?
monkey_puncher 50

Postby Eclipse Dj » 02 Jul 2009, 11:33

I hope that means implementing true 1:1 sword control into this final Wii game.

I understand the Wii has it's limitations, especially when it comes to creating a big sandbox world, and online modes are also a possibility for the series and maybe the Wii isn't quite upto fullfilling the ideas he has.

It is also a very stylised and mature game, so maybe taking it to the other consoles will see bigger sales for them. So no grudges at Suda 51, I'm just glad we got the first two games on Wii.
Eclipse Dj 49

Postby dannybuoy » 02 Jul 2009, 11:38

Callin all the heroes, shootin up the town boys
dannybuoy 36

Postby jazzy_p » 02 Jul 2009, 11:48

Come on...its awesome.
Ps3 and Xbox please...we need more crazy ass games like this and less CoD
jazzy_p 47

Postby Dajmin » 02 Jul 2009, 12:00

I think it's more likely he's just worried about doing the same thing too often and wants to move on before the franchise becomes "more of the same".

I'm sure the fanboys will say it's about hardware limitations and all that nonsense though :)

Better to leave on a high with a definitive version than to keep peddling the same stuff and have people get sick of it.
Xfire | Xbox Live | PSN: Dajmin
DAJMIN.COM - The Rock Star Gamer
Dajmin 63

Xbox Live: Dajmin
PSN ID: Dajmin
Steam: Dajmin
xFire: Dajmin

Re: No More Heroes needs "a new platform"

Postby ParmaViolet » 02 Jul 2009, 12:00

dannybuoy wrote:Callin all the heroes, shootin up the town boys

Ha Ha Ha - It Bites....thanks for the memories!

:)
ParmaViolet 66

Postby jimmygoogle84 » 02 Jul 2009, 12:17

I think the problem is audience limitations on the wii. That's the only reason he'll want to move to to grow the IP. If the audience was there he wouldn't need to.

If its not a party game and doesn't feature Mario then the ssales just aren't there for the wii. No more heroes needs a console(s) with more "traditional" gamers to grow the IP and many have already turned their back on the wii.
jimmygoogle84 8

Postby leefear1 » 02 Jul 2009, 12:25

jimmygoogle84 wrote:I think the problem is audience limitations on the wii. That's the only reason he'll want to move to to grow the IP. If the audience was there he wouldn't need to.

If its not a party game and doesn't feature Mario then the ssales just aren't there for the wii. No more heroes needs a console(s) with more "traditional" gamers to grow the IP and many have already turned their back on the wii.

I doubt it will sell on any of the other consoles either. It is too different and quirky. If it is not a generic FPS, large online bloodfest or uses licensed players etc then it is not going to do well on anything I am afraid. Look at little big planet, fantastic original game and very well received by the press but has not sold particularly well at all. ICO was the same on PS2, possibly the best game on the console but sold practically nothing due to its quirkiness. It is a shame as true gamers cry out for variety but when it comes along there are too few true gamers to make it a success. The vast majority of gamers will be too busy playing yet another version of COD, FIFA, Halo etc to notice.
leefear1 53

Postby milky_joe » 02 Jul 2009, 12:45

leefear1 wrote:
jimmygoogle84 wrote:I think the problem is audience limitations on the wii. That's the only reason he'll want to move to to grow the IP. If the audience was there he wouldn't need to.

I doubt it will sell on any of the other consoles either. It is too different and quirky. If it is not a generic FPS, large online bloodfest or uses licensed players etc then it is not going to do well on anything I am afraid. Look at little big planet, fantastic original game and very well received by the press but has not sold particularly well at all. ICO was the same on PS2, possibly the best game on the console but sold practically nothing due to its quirkiness. It is a shame as true gamers cry out for variety but when it comes along there are too few true gamers to make it a success. The vast majority of gamers will be too busy playing yet another version of COD, FIFA, Halo etc to notice.

Nail on the head my friend.
Born to be a Wanderer...
milky_joe 59

PSN ID: MilkyJoe84
Wii Code: 1420-5183-0241-2476

Postby YCshinobi » 02 Jul 2009, 13:07

milky_joe wrote:
leefear1 wrote:

Nail on the head my friend.
YCshinobi 65

Xbox Live: ycshinobi
PSN ID: ycshinobi
Wii Code: Wii U... YCshinobi
Steam: ycshinobi

Postby ricflair » 02 Jul 2009, 13:33

I so wanted to love the first one, but I thought it played like a dog. The sandbox elements were just bad IMO. The collision detection was among the worst I've ever seen, the jobs were repetitive, the bike handled like a block of concrete...

Shame as I got the feeling there was an awesome game in there, and lots of people on here have said how much they liked it. The art direction was very cool (as was the game in general) but overall it felt amateurish - I think that's the right word - to me.

And yeah, most wii owners didn't bother, so wouldn't be surprised if it went multi platform next time around.
ricflair 77

Xbox Live: Ric Flair78
PSN ID: RicFlair78
Steam: RicFlair78
Battle.net: Wii U: RicFlair

Re: No More Heroes needs "a new platform"

Postby falloutwarchief » 02 Jul 2009, 14:53

WHERESMYMONKEY wrote:I think the wii is the perfect platform for it. in terms of gameplay and audience.
What? As in, 'broken' and 'idiots'?

WHERESMYMONKEY wrote:I think if it moved platforms to either the 360 or PS3 it'd just get lost under a sea of shooters and other trite crap.
You sir, are a clown. How can you sit there happy with the Wii while badmouthing the proper games consoles? Trite crap? Were you even AWAKE for E3? To dismiss the entire library of quality games belonging to not one but two excellent systems is a shameless display of fanboyism. If you honestly think there is nothing on 360/PS3 but trite crap, then I'm afraid you have no business on a gaming website. Actually the mere fact that you find enjoyment in the Wii means you have no business on a gaming website.

No More Heroes may get lost on 360/PS3, but only due to the fact that owners of those consoles aren't starved for proper games. So you were right on one point, on the Wii No More Heroes does stand out as a must have title.

No More Heroes on Wii - Holy s**t finally a real game, buy buy buy!

No More Heroes on PS3/360 - Ah, another new game on the way. Might check it out.
falloutwarchief 58

Postby PTG » 02 Jul 2009, 15:12

I hate all this talk about only casual games selling on the Wii. Facts are, the majority of casual/party games dont sell, and havent sold well for about 10 months since every company jumped on the bandwagon. I thought most people would have noticed the increase in core games (The Conduit, Madworld, No More Heroes, Sin and Punishment 2, Kings Story, Another Code, World at war, Overkill, Warioland, Punch Out, DeBlod, Darkside Chronicles and on and on. Yet people still spout the same stuff despite the tides clearly changing. Did anyone here bother checking on the amount of core games available at E3 for the Wii?

Think about this, it was reported that only 1 game on the PS3 had sold over a million this year, and how much of that market is casual gamers? Not much. Whereas NMH, a niche game -even to a hardcore audience- has sold well over half a million making the company a tidy profit. They dont make sequels to games that dont sell you know, especially in todays market. Killer 7 btw, was available on the PS2 and Gamecube, and nobody bought that. It was just too abstract, much like NMH. As a result moving the NMH games to the 360 or PS3 wouldnt increase sales at all, especially when you consider it'd be up againt a wealth of other 3rd person games.
PTG 44

Next