to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Wolfenstein system specs released

Your comments on our articles.

Pen and pad at the ready

Raven Software has released the minimum system specs for Wolfenstein on PC via a post on its official forums.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Wolfenstein system specs released

Postby minignaz » 01 Jul 2009, 16:26

Not that bad looking, but it is using the old Doom 3 engine isn't it?

Might give it try, loved the over the top Return To when it was released, and this looks just as ott.
bebo | eBay | twitter | 360: minignaz | steam: minignaz
minignaz 59

Postby The_KFD_Case » 01 Jul 2009, 16:36

Barring some sort of ridiculous DRM or online activation scheme, I'm going to keep my pre-order for this little beauty on the PC. :)
"Unfounded optimism is no worse than relentless pessimism."
The_KFD_Case 65

Postby pishers » 01 Jul 2009, 17:31

I suspect what they really mean is c2d 2.66ghz, 2gb ram, and a 512 mb 4580 or geforce gts 250 to play it properly.it may use an older engine but they can still use more polygons and larger textures in it which require better specs.
Live: pishpashposh
pishers 49

Postby The_KFD_Case » 01 Jul 2009, 18:05

pishers wrote:I suspect what they really mean is c2d 2.66ghz, 2gb ram, and a 512 mb 4580 or geforce gts 250 to play it properly.it may use an older engine but they can still use more polygons and larger textures in it which require better specs.

Not a problem whatsoever on my end.
The_KFD_Case 65

Postby pp82 » 01 Jul 2009, 18:43

Even my laptop will run that
pp82 41

Postby Tonyb » 01 Jul 2009, 20:02

Very reasonable specs. so count me in, but I really would like to know the optimum spec., or at least what they consider to be "This is how it really should be played at!!"...

My PC config. is pretty high grunt-wise with a Core2 and 4GB RAM, but I'm still labouring with a 9800 which is starting to creak on the latest games at the top res'!

Any advice for an SLi card, less than £150, specifically for gaming including DX10 would be greatly appreciated! :D
Tonyb 58

Postby The_KFD_Case » 02 Jul 2009, 00:49

Tonyb wrote:Very reasonable specs. so count me in, but I really would like to know the optimum spec., or at least what they consider to be "This is how it really should be played at!!"...

My PC config. is pretty high grunt-wise with a Core2 and 4GB RAM, but I'm still labouring with a 9800 which is starting to creak on the latest games at the top res'!

Any advice for an SLi card, less than £150, specifically for gaming including DX10 would be greatly appreciated! :D

I think you might be able to find a deal around that price mark for either ATI's HD4890 or Nvidia's GTX 260 (216). Either of those cards will support DX10 although ATI tends to be first when it comes to pushing new tech. Between the two GPUs above I'd probably go for the HD4890 as it should outperform the GTX 260 both price vs. performance wise, as well as in terms of actual hard numbers.

Failing that you can almost certainly find a souped up version of ATI's HD4850 (maybe even the SLI version,) which should bury a single 9800 from Nvidia. Another alternative would be the HD4870 512MB or 1024MB version which is selling cheap as chips these days - it easily outperforms the HD4850 and leaves the 9800 eating dust while not costing all that much more than the HD4850.

All of that being said, it is expected that ATI will release a new generation GPU during autumn this year with Nvidia following suit a couple of months later. The new GPUs will undoubtedly command a premium price yet this could also lead to further reductions in the prices of the above mentioned GPUs. If you aren't in a hurry to upgrade I recommend waiting until then.

P.S. If you go the SLI route double check to see whether you have an Nvidia based motherboard. All non-Nvidia based motherboards that support SLI also support SLI for ATI and Nvidia, however Nvidia based boards only support Nvidia GPUs in SLI.
The_KFD_Case 65

Re: Wolfenstein system specs released

Postby altitude2k » 02 Jul 2009, 09:04

minignaz wrote:Not that bad looking, but it is using the old Doom 3 engine isn't it?

I thought it used the Rage engine...
altitude2k 64

Xbox Live: aLTiTuDe
PSN ID: altitude2k
Steam: altitude2k

Postby Giant_Crab » 02 Jul 2009, 09:45

Yeah I was under that impression too.
/wikipedias
Oh, apparently it's using id Tech 4, which is the Doom 3 and Quake 4 engine. Kudos to them, it's looking pretty sweet!
Giant_Crab 18

Postby will7476 » 02 Jul 2009, 13:43

No wonder people get put off PC gaming - all that talk about specs just puts me off instantly. I can understand the appeal, and I'm not knocking PC gamers, but isn't it just a never ending process of upgrades and cost?
will7476 45

Postby 360_Fan » 02 Jul 2009, 14:44

wow, its really nice over here. No fighting or abuse. Just people talking about what they are into.
360_Fan 61

Postby The_KFD_Case » 02 Jul 2009, 15:26

will7476 wrote:No wonder people get put off PC gaming - all that talk about specs just puts me off instantly. I can understand the appeal, and I'm not knocking PC gamers, but isn't it just a never ending process of upgrades and cost?

Depends on the individual. My personal experience is that if you leave the PC setup unchanged with a gaming rig it will play games for about 5 to 5 1/2 years before you are literally at a point where it will no longer run some of the latest, tech-heavy games. If you build your own PC you can save a good chunk of cash and if you are able to salvage parts from an old rig in to a new one, say your DVD drive for example, then that too can save you a good bit of change. That said, there are times when a whole new branch of tech is released (ex. going from DDR2 to DDR3 and switching from Duo and Quad cores to the i-core family) and such switches are going to be expensive although less so if you can wait a bit and if you don't demand the very best out there.

I prefer to go for a nicely balanced "price vs. performance". Buying the most expensive hardware isn't always the best setup, and it may very well fall short of serving your PC needs adequately at a price to your liking.

If you start out with a solid motherboard and a PSU that's above what you currently need and is of a quality brand then you are really only left with the CPU, GPU, memory as the main components left. Separate sound cards are often better then onboard sound but costs more and they are not a strict necessity if you want sound (if you want better sound then, yes, they are). Changing the HDD or the DVD/BR drive isn't that tough either and will be cheaper to replace than the CPU or the GPU. Those last two bits are the the really expensive parts that you are most likely to see immediate gaming gains in by upgrading.

It's worth noting that after you hit 60 FPS it's going to become increasingly difficult for the unaided human eye to see a difference beyond that. 30-40 FPS will look fantastic, so other than bragging rights there is little immediate need to max everything out (which is where the 3,000 GBP PC claims arise). As usual, if you take the time to realistically evaluate what your needs and demands of a PC rig are ahead of time, then you can often save a bundle when you finally decide to buy a new rig after shopping around and doing your homework on the parts.
The_KFD_Case 65