to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Rare "no one knows who we are"

Your comments on our articles.

Peter Molyneux's new job will change all that though

Rare is looking forward to the extra attention it will receive under Peter Molyneux's new role as Microsoft Game Studios Europe's creative director, because currently "no one knows who we are," it told OXM.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Postby KMakawa » 30 Jun 2009, 11:12

Rare are legends.
KMakawa 65
Global Moderator

Xbox Live: T0TAL fps
Steam: T0TALfps
Battle.net: PMforit@
xFire: iArctic

Postby Guy_Muggsley » 30 Jun 2009, 11:18

The demise of Rare in recent years has been pretty sad, they used to be the business, with games like.. wait, what was it called? oh yeah, GOLDENEYE! but they have let themselves down a bit since being acquired by Microsoft back in 2002, with games like Perfect Dark Zero being a major letdown IMO. Lets hope this new attention from Molyneux could herald the dawning of the second coming for them.
Last edited by Guy_Muggsley on 30 Jun 2009, 11:21, edited 1 time in total.
Guy_Muggsley 22

Postby WHERESMYMONKEY » 30 Jun 2009, 11:20

shouldn't that read no one knows who we are anymore. During the N64 days everyone knew how brilliant rare were. they've seem to of lost a lot of face since joining MS.

IMO they are still one of the best devs on the planet.
Comedy. gaming. Lemmings? You do the math www.laserlemming.com
WHERESMYMONKEY 66

Postby JuiKuen » 30 Jun 2009, 11:21

Rare were legends. They've not produced anything to the levels of greatness as they did in the SNES and N64 days. Once they lost most of their team, they just started making mediocre games.

The other day we had Conker's Bad Fur Day on the N64 being played and it reminded me how funny it was. Its a shame M$hite made Rare edit the game, taking away its stupid hunour away. Yes, the jokes in eventuality get silly after a while but if you'e not played in since the time it came out (like we hadn't) then it seems fresh again.

But these days, Rare have nothing in them to rival what they used to be. Which is a shame really. I can't see Molynuex making things better. He's crap as it is
Last edited by JuiKuen on 30 Jun 2009, 11:25, edited 1 time in total.
JuiKuen 49

Postby GTCzeero » 30 Jun 2009, 11:24

Release a proper Banjo game and I'll shout their name from the rooftops.
GTCzeero 31

Postby deano ward » 30 Jun 2009, 11:25

Everyone knew who Rare were when Goldeneye 007, Banjo & Donkey Kong Country came out, they need to bring out games of that quality out on the 360. So far it's been mediocre. Viva Pinata had been done before and so had Nuts & Bolts. They either need to return to the things they are great at or find something revolutionary.
deano ward 18

Postby dark_gamer » 30 Jun 2009, 11:28

I agree with you Monkey how it should be 'anymore' because Rare used to make some of the best games up to the N64 era but have gone downhill since Starfox on GameCube (damn Nintendo for ruining that one though).

I do like Viva Pinata, and even though PDZ wasn't that great at least it kept a lot of the functionality from the first game (apart from not being able to hold all the weapons in the game at once :x ).
Gamertag: Racxie
PSN ID: Racxie
dark_gamer 53

Postby Mogs » 30 Jun 2009, 11:41

I know who you are, Rare.

I know who you are.
I've got spurs that jingle jangle jingle...
Mogs 60

Postby suchthef00l » 30 Jun 2009, 11:43

I think "noone cares who we used to be" would be more accurate. I really, truly hope Rare can get back on form, but I fear the problem stems from the fact it's no longer the same company, just the same name.

Their best chance of getting back in the game seems to lie with Perfect Dark and Killer Instinct, although I can't help but worry MS will have them on babysitting duty for the rest of this generation (not slating Viva Pinata or Banjo btw, but you can see where Microsoft have got Rare targeted).
suchthef00l 51

Postby dannybuoy » 30 Jun 2009, 11:44

i used to think Rare were the nuts. Golden Eye, Donkey Kong Country etc... then it went a bit wrong. They kinda got left behind and seemed to stick to a very samey visual style. I think the move to M$ kind of killed them off in my eyes. If they were multiplatform today I feel they would be major players, but instead they are in the background producing games that are just not hitting the big time. Shame, but that's how it goes in this industry
dannybuoy 36

Postby wrightandrewjame » 30 Jun 2009, 12:01

I think it's more "no one knows who we are now". Used to love the Rare games especially Donkey Kong Country, but their recent offerings are poor in comparison. Since they went under the Microsoft Games Studios banner they lost their identity. Maybe it's just that the Nintendo games they did were better IPs?
wrightandrewjame 53

PSN ID: Solid_Snake1987

Postby stedman » 30 Jun 2009, 12:04

Dont try and make another game without it representing the greatness from the N64 games..

Banjo nut & bolts was a stupid idea and spoilt one of my top game series.

Theres room for a real banjo platformer.
stedman 32

Postby kimoak » 30 Jun 2009, 12:08

Rare are nothing without the Stamper Brothers. Plain and Simple. They made great titles when they were 'Ultimate Play the game' also with games like Sabrewulf, Cookie, Jetpac, Knight Lore etc etc. Rare are the same body with a different soul now. :(
kimoak 57

Postby casperthedog » 30 Jun 2009, 12:14

I feel sorry for Rare, i loved their recent releases, Viva Penita and Banjo nuts and bolts, and of course like everyone else their earlier releases like Goldeneye, Perfect Dark etc. I feel their recent games were trying to hit both core and more casual gamers and unfortunately not really hitting either of them, but i still love all their games and they are still one of my favorite devlopers
(did a game devlopment work placement with them last year, they are great, friendly men and women who work there)

All the best to them in their future, looking forward to whatever they do next.
casperthedog 38

Postby Djstar » 30 Jun 2009, 12:16

STARFOX ON GAMECUBE WAS GOOD 8/10 FOR ME!
GRAPHICS WAS TOP NOTCH FOR A GAMECUBE!

WHEN NINTY SOLD THEM THAT WAS A BAD IDEA AS RARE AND NINTY WERE A MATCH MADE IN HEAVEN!

I CANT JUDGE NUTS AND BOLTS AS IVE NOT PLAYED IT BUT FROM WHAT I SEE IT LOOKS REAL BORING!
THEY SHOULD HAVE DONE A PROPER BANJO & KAZOOIE GAME, THAT STANDS UP TO THE LIKES OF MARIO GALAXY AND RACHET & CLANK... :roll:
Djstar 17

Next