Ghostbusters

Your comments on our articles.

Review: Do cross the streams...

For the purpose of this review we're going to assume everyone is a Ghostbusters fan. Because if you're not then you must have died before they made it. In which case you're not reading this because you're dead.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Ghostbusters

Postby fanboy » 18 Jun 2009, 12:32

I just dont know whether to get this or not now.

Theres been quite a big fanfair for this game cos its actually a half decent movie license for once, but the things this guy points out do make sense and might ruin it a bit.

Plus, money must be saved for the September - November rush.
fanboy 63

Postby jadehill2001 » 18 Jun 2009, 12:43

As the review summary says...It's ghostbusters and that will do for me. I'm getting it tommorrow
jadehill2001 34

Postby dannybuoy » 18 Jun 2009, 12:50

I'm on the fence.. Not sure I'd buy it full price. I can't stand games with bad checkpointing and unfair battles which this game seems to have. Hmmm.
dannybuoy 36

Postby steve_2003 » 18 Jun 2009, 13:11

After hearing the shortcomings of the PS3 version in various reviews, I'll import the 360 one, I really can't wait till the autumn, for the Pal version. :D
steve_2003 64

Postby JAKEevans » 18 Jun 2009, 13:17

the ps3 version is just fine....ive been playing all night! i dont know what the 360 version looks like but on my tv its not as bright as the head to head videos ive seen.
should buy if love ghostbusters 8)
"well spin my nipple nuts and send me to Alaska"
JAKEevans 46

Xbox Live: jake316
PSN ID: jakeomac

Postby capsule_toy » 18 Jun 2009, 13:24

PS3. Getting it. Yes.

I just watched comparison videos. There's really nothing in it.

If anything PS3 version looks a little brighter, so you can see a little more detail. Also, in one section, there's a special effect on the PS3, which isn't on the same bit on 360. Something about petrol exploding...

Odd.

Still, WHO YOU GONNA CALL?

.....HMV to see if my pre-order's in...
capsule_toy 46

Xbox Live: Capsule Toy
PSN ID: Capsule_Toy
Steam: Capsule_Toy

Postby humorguy » 18 Jun 2009, 13:27

Be glad for multiplayer and being able to buy it without paying extra for import! I am PC gamer - what have I been given? Crumbs, my friend,crumbs. A 7 hour single player game with no multiplayer that because of it having to be imported Play.com has for £34.99!
humorguy 47

Ghostbusters

Postby petpiranha » 18 Jun 2009, 13:45

bummer.
petpiranha 28

Postby Akumas_Muse » 18 Jun 2009, 14:57

Gutted but not particularly surprised.

Although GB doesn't look the worst of it's kind, videogaming history is littered with too many corpses of film-licensed games to suggest anything other than disappointment will be the overriding emotion whenever the words 'movie' and 'game' are mentioned together in the same press release.

For every Goldeneye, they'll always be fifty Charlie's Angels.
Akumas_Muse 19

Postby WHERESMYMONKEY » 18 Jun 2009, 16:14

don't believe the hype this game is great. It all depends how you look at it. If you wanted to know what ghostbusters 3 could of been like buy this game.

Its the closest thing we'll ever see to it, and although its not the greatest game ever made. I'd say it definately rates as the Greatest ever licensed game ever made.

I haven't been able to put it down.
Comedy. gaming. Lemmings? You do the math www.laserlemming.com
WHERESMYMONKEY 66

Postby Batman2372 » 18 Jun 2009, 17:13

WHERESMYMONKEY wrote:don't believe the hype this game is great. It all depends how you look at it. If you wanted to know what ghostbusters 3 could of been like buy this game.

You do know that Ghostbusters III is a go, right?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1289401/
Batman2372 16

Postby a3HeadedMonkey » 18 Jun 2009, 18:11

WHERESMYMONKEY wrote:Its the closest thing we'll ever see to it, and although its not the greatest game ever made. I'd say it definately rates as the Greatest ever licensed game ever made.

I haven't been able to put it down.

..And you do know that this is how you spell definitely right?

Sorry, just a pet hate of mine. :wink:

http://www.d-e-f-i-n-i-t-e-l-y.com/
a3HeadedMonkey 69

Postby voodoo341 » 18 Jun 2009, 19:29

Batman2372 wrote:
You do know that Ghostbusters III is a go, right?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1289401/

Yeah with the original cast according to rumours. I hope it happens.
voodoo341 75

Postby voad » 18 Jun 2009, 21:53

I don't completely agree with this review. For instance if ghost reacted when you fired a proton stream at them then... they wouldn't be able to fight back at all. They would have to stop reacting and start doing something at some point, otherwise it would get boring.

I don't understand the comparisons to Gears of War. All they share in common is that they are both third person shooters. But Ghostbusters has a much more arcade feel to it. There is no cover system but you can dodge some attacks using the jump buttons. I thought the story was fantastic, and any moments were "deja vu" occurred were pretty well explained and fit in with the rest of the story. I really felt as if I were a part of a new Ghostbusters film while I played.

The only real issue I had with the cut scenes is that the lip sync didn't match some of the time. But I quickly forgave the game and soon forgot all about it because the voice acting is so great. Though some will say that Murray's portrayal of Venkman in this game was maybe a little too mellow.

There were some really great set pieces in this game and everything fit in with the Ghostbusters lore perfectly. And there are so many references to all things ghostbuster related. There is a reference to the old C64 game some where in the Firehouse, references to the movies, to the cartoons, etc.

Also, the checkpoint system works pretty nicely. They seem to anticipate when and where a player might have trouble with the game. And if you die you don't have to go through much to get back to the point you left off at. And the AI isn't as bad as they say really. I found that they saved my ass about as much as I saved theirs. Sometimes the team will get split up and you may only have one other guy at your side. And at that point the game is usually more difficult. But I really enjoyed how challenging the game was even on normal and I am about to start a play through on professional.

In the end, I'd say that if you are a Ghostbuster's fan then this game is a must have. If not then this is still a pretty damned good game and you should play it.
voad 50

Postby omega uk v1 » 19 Jun 2009, 03:57

LOL THE GHOST BEHIND THE RED THING ALWAYS LOOKED LIKE A BLOB OF CUM TO ME I DONT KNOW IF IT WAS JUST MY PAST CHILDHOOD THATS DONE THIS TO BE BUT I JUST CANT GET ENOUGH CUM.
omega uk v1 37

Next