to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Star Ocean: The Last Hope

Your comments on our articles.

Drowning in a sea of mediocrity

Some may say it never went away, but sci-fi is pretty cool at the moment. Christian Bale's about to unleash some of his patented rage on Skynet, Battlestar Galactica sticks two fingers up at dilithium crystals and JJ Abram's Star Trek revival takes the shat out of Shatner and goes boldly where Trek has never gone before: goofy space fun that anyone can enjoy. We never thought we'd see the day when you could attend ComicCon in good confidence you wouldn't get stabbed by a jock. Then tri-Ace go and do this.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Star Ocean: The Last Hope

Postby insette » 09 Jun 2009, 15:03

this is a fair review.
insette 14

Re: Star Ocean: The Last Hope

Postby StonecoldMC » 09 Jun 2009, 15:21

insette wrote:this is a fair review.

Its always fair reviews on CVG, I am glad you agree!
"Nintendo want to make money by supplying fun, Sony want to make money by supplying Art, MS want to make money."

INTERNET, APRIL 2014
StonecoldMC 80
Global Moderator

Postby The_KFD_Case » 09 Jun 2009, 15:32

Guess I'm about to find out whether I agree with this review or not as this game is well on its way to my mailbox. Some gamers have given it high praise while others, such as CVG, have panned it. Business as usual then.
"Unfounded optimism is no worse than relentless pessimism."
The_KFD_Case 65

Postby Mark240473 » 09 Jun 2009, 15:55

The_KFD_Case wrote:Guess I'm about to find out whether I agree with this review or not as this game is well on its way to my mailbox. Some gamers have given it high praise while others, such as CVG, have panned it. Business as usual then.

This was reviewed by xbox360 world and not by CVG in-house. Doesn't bode well. Still, if you enjoyed the other tepid JRPG's of late, I am sure you will find something to like about this one.
This post was brought to you by SarkyMarky.
Mark240473 64

Xbox Live: BobozeTheBear
PSN ID: MarkyUK

Postby Black Mantis » 09 Jun 2009, 15:55

The_KFD_Case wrote:Guess I'm about to find out whether I agree with this review or not as this game is well on its way to my mailbox. Some gamers have given it high praise while others, such as CVG, have panned it. Business as usual then.

When it comes to JRPG's, it's best to make up your own mind. I feel it's one genre that hasn't made a big enough leap since last gen, thus putting off some gamers, hopefully FF 13 can change that. I'll give this a try though, as I've seen it get some good reviews.
Black Mantis 67

Postby RumbleThunder » 09 Jun 2009, 17:23

So it's like FFXIII, but in space? And it got a shocking review?

Nice.
Epidemic!
Take no prisoners...
RumbleThunder 59

Postby Mappman » 09 Jun 2009, 17:58

Every JRPG I've played has seemed stilted, naff and cumbersome ever since I picked up Morrowind last gen.

JRPGs have aged very badly in my opinion:

The random fights that occur in the wild between towns;

Finding yourself unable to progress the story due to being under-powered and the subsequent grind due to a lack of interesting side missions to make levelling up actually fun;

The turn-based combat and a bunch of other bizarre stats based systems wedged together with painfully basic and inaccurate real-time fighting; a half-hearted attempt to drag the genre into the 21st century;

The on-the-rails fashion in which they force upon you their always epic, yet inevitably vague (or poorly translated if you're being kind) tale of "courage" involving a group of irritating blue/pink/green-haired adolescents you have no hope of ever identifying with or caring about.

JRPG's need a massive overhaul if you ask me. They're really just interactive anime.
Gaming since 1984(!)
Mappman 45

Postby TheKraige » 09 Jun 2009, 20:18

This guy is an idiot I'm not even sure he's played this game and not seen someone else playing it for 10 minutes.

The combat system is nothing like FFXII in that you push a button and then watch as the game fights for you, this game is more like Kingdom Hearts or FF Crisis except better as you can switch characters to preform more specific tasks and Y is for a paused menus so you can use skills and items without being panicked, the battles can also be won by skill if you are a low level as the enemies may never touch you.

The graphics are beautiful and as for the future not being Mass Effect that might be because not everything evolves at the same rate we have a few space faring races and other species that are closer to our history of a few hundred years ago, which is ofcourse understandable by anyone with a brain bigger than a monkeys.

This "reviewer" seems to have mor of a problem with JRPG's instead of this game in particular and he doesn't appear to be a big fan instead of making observations and comparisons with other games in the genre he compares it to ME which has nothing to do with this game.

The battles are true realtime unlike FFXII "real time" and aren't random encounters the cut scenes are short and often and are funny and usually well written, and Lymle the "annoying little 6 year old" is 15 so maybe this reviewer should go play an hour of the game before saying unrelevent blabber.

On things he didn't touch on the item creation and the room system are amazingly deep and fun.

put basically I have told you more relevant facts about this game than this moron and the failure that is this review is down to the Games Radar Network giving this game to someone who has no interest in the JRPG genre or this game and should stick to reviews of FPS games.
I would give this game a 9 out of 10 as it is fun, deep and has no faults except for the voice acting.
TheKraige 41

Xbox Live: TheKraige
PSN ID: TheKraige
Steam: TheKraige
Battle.net: TheKraige

Postby metallicorphan » 09 Jun 2009, 22:15

i agree with TheKraige here...the game is pretty damn great,i have been loving it

this game in no way deserves to be as low as 5.9

sure the kids are way to young(although the main character is 20 years old,which i would think makes him the oldest lead character in recent JRPGs)..nearly every JRPG has way too young characters

i would give it a 8 or a 9,definetly a 9 if you like JRPGs or liked Star Ocean 3

and just incase,here are some more review scores,that IMO seem to be more on the ball

Gamespot-7.5
Gametrailers-8.0 (user score-8.4)
IGN-8.0
G4TV-4/5
metallicorphan 60

Xbox Live: metallicorphan
PSN ID: metallicorphan
Wii Code: 8008135-111111111

Postby cykosis » 10 Jun 2009, 00:15

Square Enix come back to the Playstation and start making top RPGs again (and a profit)! You know the 360 fanboys only love their FPS and racing games *wink wink* This review simply says to me that Square Enix couldn't give a rats hoot about RPGs on the 360.
cykosis 46

Postby altitude2k » 10 Jun 2009, 08:36

cykosis wrote:Square Enix come back to the Playstation and start making top RPGs again (and a profit)! You know the 360 fanboys only love their FPS and racing games *wink wink* This review simply says to me that Square Enix couldn't give a rats hoot about RPGs on the 360.

Damn straight. The PS3 can keep this tosh.
altitude2k 64

Xbox Live: aLTiTuDe
PSN ID: altitude2k
Steam: altitude2k

Postby The_KFD_Case » 10 Jun 2009, 10:08

Black Mantis wrote:

When it comes to JRPG's, it's best to make up your own mind. I feel it's one genre that hasn't made a big enough leap since last gen, thus putting off some gamers, hopefully FF 13 can change that. I'll give this a try though, as I've seen it get some good reviews.

Works for me. I haven't played a JRPG since FF7, and a few hours on a friend's copy of FF10, so I'm making a multi-generational leap here.
"Unfounded optimism is no worse than relentless pessimism."
The_KFD_Case 65

Postby Suivatam109PS3 » 10 Jun 2009, 13:42

According to the manual the "six year old girl" is actually fifteen... 'kay.

Can't say I agree with this haven't spent 28 hours playing through it so far, yes the space setting is a thin disguise for the usual generic backdrops but at least they've made an effort to add some variety which is more than other franchises have done.
Suivatam109PS3 37

Postby Suivatam109PS3 » 10 Jun 2009, 13:45

altitude2k wrote:
cykosis wrote:Square Enix come back to the Playstation and start making top RPGs again (and a profit)! You know the 360 fanboys only love their FPS and racing games *wink wink* This review simply says to me that Square Enix couldn't give a rats hoot about RPGs on the 360.

Damn straight. The PS3 can keep this tosh.

Yeah PS3 fans hate FPS's... like Killzone 2, Resistance, Resistance 2, Haze... and racing games, like Motorstorm, Motorstorm 2, GT5 Prologue...

We'll see what Square can do with an RPG when they release one on the 360 they've done themselves rather than where they act merely as publisher... Tri-Ace have knocked out the poor Infinite Undiscovery (which looked so rushed it was horrible) and this where they seem to have made a much better attempt at a complete game.
Suivatam109PS3 37

Postby lonewolf2002 » 10 Jun 2009, 14:09

Another average review for a JRPG what a surprise :D I will be getting this regardless. Loads of these RPG's have got average press scores this gen but I have still enjoyed them immensely each to their own.
What you need to remember is that there's what people want to hear, there's what people want to believe, there's everything else, THEN there's the truth!

360 Lon3Wolf2002

PSN lone_WOLF2002

Steam lonewolf10
lonewolf2002 64

Next