PSW Prototype Review!

Your comments on our articles.

The latest issue of PSW, on sale today, features the world exclusive Prototype review!

Can Prototype live up to the promise or has it's hype waned in the wake of inFamous?... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

PSW Prototype Review!

Postby Multiplayerking » 21 May 2009, 20:20

Well, that's a surprising score. Let's just hope it's actually some good.
Multiplayerking 70

PSN ID: gta-hellraiser61

Score?

Postby hippieman9042 » 22 May 2009, 17:22

@multiplayerking
What score did it get?
Sorry I know I sound like a cheapskate and will probably be bombarded with hate comments but I spent all my money on "other magazines" I havent read PSW in the last few months since that CODWAW score changed the magazine to me forever....
lol ill probably start reading it again soon im nearly over the whole "WAW" thing now.
hippieman9042 13

Postby voodoo341 » 22 May 2009, 18:23

So, inFamous or Prototye? We're the only mag to have played final, complete builds on both. But you'll have to pick up the mag to find out which way we jump!

A tad misleading that statement. Anyone buying the magazine hoping to see an inFamous/Prototype comparison is going to be disappointed.
voodoo341 75

Postby BigBoss987 » 22 May 2009, 23:53

PSW false advertising? Never.
PSN - BigBoss987
BigBoss987 58

Postby Trahildar » 23 May 2009, 22:42

I might have to buy this now to find out

Damn you PSW! :x
http://montywk.deviantart.com/art/Suicide-129872112

My moving poem and friend's artwork
Trahildar 45

Postby Chris W » 23 May 2009, 23:20

My main beef with Prototype is how similar it seems to Hulk:UD (which was awesome IMO) - the trailer would just work better if you were huge and green. Puny little man can't SMASH! But, the fact that it's Hulk:UD's spiritual successor is what has me psyched for the game. That and the fact that, until recently, some great scenario writers were working on the plot had me mildly positive about the plot. :)

As for the inFamous demo I downloaded - well, before I say anything else, that's how you do a demo - it was long and gave me good idea how the game will be. However, unfortunately for inFamous, while it wasn't at all bad, I'll probably wait a long while for the price to drop before I pick it up - just didn't grab me like I thought it would. What really made me wretch was the unskipable, horrible attempt at a story and acting. Below average low budget video game presentation at best. If it's like that in the full game (and not something half baked exclusively for the demo), then I'm not even laughing.

Graphics are okayish, and the framerate is mostly decent. Although there are annoying pauses here and there, that break the fast action, animations are extremely bad and floaty, explosions and damage are wonderful, the gameplay and objectives are pretty boring after the first 5 minutes. I don't know, maybe the game grows on you, but judging on the demo it's a 6 out of 10 at best for me.
Chris W 70

Postby voodoo341 » 24 May 2009, 16:48

Don't really agree with that assessment Chris. I thought the graphics for inFamous were excellent. I haven't noticed the extremely bad animations or annoying pauses. Drop down into the street and you have a lot more detail than a game like GTA 4 or Crackdown. You can even see flies buzzing around street lights. The comic style presentation of the story is good and the voice acting etc was strong. Looking forward to inFamous dropping through the letter box this week. It's full of neat little touches, shock a pool of water with Reapers standing in it to take them all out. Glide along the electric railway lines and power drift over an on coming train and back onto the track again. Missions can be completed in various ways, either charge up fully and rush in head on or take to the heights and take out the strong points first. Like Crackdown you'll be looking around for the tallest building just to see if you can climb it before standing on the highest point in a manly pose. All good stuff and not only an excellent game but it also comes along with an invite to the Uncharted beta. A must buy. Meanwhile Prototype is a rental, been stung in the past by PSW's reviews for games likes Far Cry 2 and COD 5. Games I went out and bought and regreted buying.
voodoo341 75

Postby Chris W » 24 May 2009, 22:12

voodoo341 wrote:Don't really agree with that assessment Chris. I thought the graphics for inFamous were excellent. I haven't noticed the extremely bad animations or annoying pauses. Drop down into the street and you have a lot more detail than a game like GTA 4 or Crackdown.

I've experienced quite a few of the AI clipping in the game TBH, and I've also fallen through the game world a few times too. Dunno, but I still find the character animation (i.e. for the voice acting scenes), poor and distracting, but the animation for Cole is wonderful, especially when it means he controls so well.

In that sense, it's a shame they didn't get that sense of GTA:IV quality animation for the acting, but I guess they were relying on the comic book sections, which are great I'll add. I also think it's a bit odd when you start a side-mission they say "there's reapers attacking the police station over there!" - and you think, they weren't just a second ago. They then suddenly appear (not in front of you... But off-screen).

From what I'm hearing from podcasts and other familiar game journalists, the game is generally received really, really well with people mentioning that the game has its flaws and such and isn't technically the best game, but they go on to say that it's the most fun they've had with a game in a long time - it gives a GTA vibe in that sense. It also seems to appeal more to 360 owners than other PS3 games seem to have done - maybe it scratches that Crackdown itch...

Personally, I don't think the game is for me though, I didn't particularly think so before the demo, and I don't think so after the demo. Still, I can definitely see the appeal for others, although I'm a little surprised at just how much people generally seem to like this game.
Chris W 70

Postby Trahildar » 24 May 2009, 22:53

Yeah I noticed quite a few times cars without drivers and some pop in issues in the demo. Surely patches can fix these though?

Trahildar 45

Postby Trahildar » 25 May 2009, 14:58

Couldn't find a copy of PSW anywhere today :(

My supermarkets stopped selling them.

Trahildar 45

Postby Chris W » 27 May 2009, 00:28

Trahildar wrote:Surely patches can fix these though?

Sure, they could optimize with a patch... However, the end result may not be as "pretty" as a game that takes specific advantage of the hardware available to it - much better (and easier), to prototype *no pun intended* and polish with the original dev code.
Chris W 70

Postby voodoo341 » 27 May 2009, 22:35

Chris W wrote:Sure, they could optimize with a patch... However, the end result may not be as "pretty" as a game that takes specific advantage of the hardware available to it - much better (and easier), to prototype *no pun intended* and polish with the original dev code.

riggght so other than the PS3 what other hardware would inFamous be taking specific advantage of?
voodoo341 75

Postby Chris W » 28 May 2009, 02:15

^ I did hear that the game engine used for inFAMOUS was actually basically a multi-platform one, not one specific to the PS3 (apparently the next Sly Cooper is going to target the PS3 hardware much more specifically). If this is the case and there are no particular technical hurdles it would be nice to think that 360 owners might one day get a chance to play this - without buying a PS3 that is.

I believe Sucker Punch started to develop their streaming tech et al on PC, then optimized to PS3, which is perfectly natural for any developer, exclusive or otherwise. The devs mentioned that they had to learn shader programming from scratch, just like the Japanese developers. Perhaps starting and staying with the PC makes it easier to debug (since they have a reference).

Sure it would be a dramatic change for Sucker Punch, but there is no reason to use a multi-platform engine unless they are indeed considering supporting other hardware (cross-platform). They are mostly ex-Microsoft people anyhow, so may be amenable to a 360 port or allowing someone else to do it. Maybe they are hedging their bets, so if sales of PS3 inFAMOUS don't pay the bills then they can drop it on the other box in relatively short time.
Chris W 70

Postby voodoo341 » 28 May 2009, 07:51

Chris W wrote:^ I did hear that the game engine used for inFAMOUS was actually basically a multi-platform one, not one specific to the PS3 (apparently the next Sly Cooper is going to target the PS3 hardware much more specifically). If this is the case and there are no particular technical hurdles it would be nice to think that 360 owners might one day get a chance to play this - without buying a PS3 that is.

I believe Sucker Punch started to develop their streaming tech et al on PC, then optimized to PS3, which is perfectly natural for any developer, exclusive or otherwise. The devs mentioned that they had to learn shader programming from scratch, just like the Japanese developers. Perhaps starting and staying with the PC makes it easier to debug (since they have a reference).

Sure it would be a dramatic change for Sucker Punch, but there is no reason to use a multi-platform engine unless they are indeed considering supporting other hardware (cross-platform). They are mostly ex-Microsoft people anyhow, so may be amenable to a 360 port or allowing someone else to do it. Maybe they are hedging their bets, so if sales of PS3 inFAMOUS don't pay the bills then they can drop it on the other box in relatively short time.

You heard and you believe? :roll:
I'll bet you £100 that inFamous will never appear on any other format other than a Sony one.
voodoo341 75

Postby Chris W » 28 May 2009, 14:19

^ Just stating that the only things corroborating the 'non-optimized' part is that, Sucker Punch are a small team and that they usually follow the Sony line of: "We're only using X% of the PS3's power", where X is usually below 50%. Plus, last week's 1UP podcast spent a good 20-25 minutes on inFAMOUS (and Prototype), and one of podcasters referenced the technology at around 1 hours 19 minutes in:

1UP Guy: It'll be really interesting to see what they do with Sly Cooper 4 because, ya know, when I was talking to their er.., uh... studio... creative guy or director or whatever, it is possible inFAMOUS, was actually built on an evolution of Sly Cooper, because this game was not built on an engine optimized for PS3, it was built on a compiled language bit, it's just on C+ or whatever, but they've been working on a PS3 optimized.

Hardly conclusive I'd agree, but the point is taken. Overall, the demo was good but nothing screamed must have to me.

*back to Prototype*

Isn't there a similar game coming shortly called "Prototype" or something..? :roll:
Chris W 70

Next