to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Final Fantasy XIII

Your comments on our articles.

At last, the first concrete details of how the forthcoming monster RPG will actually handle. We find out how a step backward could push the series forward...

Slowly, ever so slowly, the shape of all things Final Fantasy XIII is coming into view. Square Enix has seen fit to grace us with a new trailer - this time featuring actual gameplay. The first playable demo is only weeks away and in order to get our RPG juices flowing, Square Enix is cranking up its mighty PR machine. As well as the usual high standard of cutscene footage, this month saw a glimpse of how the game will play.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Final Fantasy XIII

Postby only_777 » 29 Mar 2009, 10:07

I have my demo of FFXIII coming next month when I get my Blu-Ray of FFVII: Advent children!
Woohoo! I cant wait to play this!
Earn Money from clicking a link, stupid but true: http://paid2refer.com/ref.php?refId=239717
only_777 61

Re: Final Fantasy XIII

Postby lonewolf2002 » 29 Mar 2009, 11:17

only_777 wrote:I have my demo of FFXIII coming next month when I get my Blu-Ray of FFVII: Advent children!

Is the demo that is in the AC set in English(or do you have a good grasp of Japanese)? I assumed that being only released in Japan the demo would not be in English (but then we know what assumption is the mother of). 8)
What you need to remember is that there's what people want to hear, there's what people want to believe, there's everything else, THEN there's the truth!

360 Lon3Wolf2002

PSN lone_WOLF2002

Steam lonewolf10
lonewolf2002 64

Postby only_777 » 29 Mar 2009, 12:23

lonewolf2002 wrote:
only_777 wrote:I have my demo of FFXIII coming next month when I get my Blu-Ray of FFVII: Advent children!

Is the demo that is in the AC set in English(or do you have a good grasp of Japanese)? I assumed that being only released in Japan the demo would not be in English (but then we know what assumption is the mother of). 8)

Im pretty sure the demo is 100% Japanese, with no english speach. I have a friend that can help me with japanese text and although I cant read Japanese Im ok it listerning to it and understanding what is being said.
Although with most Japanese games I find that Game menus are still listed in Japanese and english at the same time, see Gundam Musou for a good example of that. A game like Final Fantasy is going to have most (if not all) storyline in spoken Japanese so I think I should be able to get through it ok.
Also in a related topic, I completed Bio Hazard 2 the other day which I downloaded from the Japanese PSN so playing FFXIII should be within my power. :D
Earn Money from clicking a link, stupid but true: http://paid2refer.com/ref.php?refId=239717
only_777 61

Postby lonewolf2002 » 29 Mar 2009, 13:59

only_777 wrote:
lonewolf2002 wrote:

Im pretty sure the demo is 100% Japanese, with no english speach. I have a friend that can help me with japanese text and although I cant read Japanese Im ok it listerning to it and understanding what is being said.
Although with most Japanese games I find that Game menus are still listed in Japanese and english at the same time, see Gundam Musou for a good example of that. A game like Final Fantasy is going to have most (if not all) storyline in spoken Japanese so I think I should be able to get through it ok.
Also in a related topic, I completed Bio Hazard 2 the other day which I downloaded from the Japanese PSN so playing FFXIII should be within my power. :D

Cool thanks for reply I am not so lucky to have help with Japanese, do me a favour, if it is playable to someone with no grasp of Japanese could you let me know please. If it is my order for AC complete import will be immediate :D .

I have had a few asian RPG's that could be switched to english no problem but I doubt they would put that functionality into a demo but fingers crossed.
What you need to remember is that there's what people want to hear, there's what people want to believe, there's everything else, THEN there's the truth!

360 Lon3Wolf2002

PSN lone_WOLF2002

Steam lonewolf10
lonewolf2002 64

Postby artiezappa » 29 Mar 2009, 15:03

Unfortunately for those of us who do not speak Japanese, the demo will not be in English. Play Asia explicitly states this on their import page.

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-a7- ... -384b.html

However, there is a bright spot on the horizon. FFVII:ACC is coming to the US in June with an "exclusive sneak peak" at FFXIII, according to a few sites (1UP link below). As the site says, Microsoft's contract with Square may prevent a PS3 demo in the US at this time, but we'll see in June.

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3173434
artiezappa 2

Postby SpoonyRedMage » 29 Mar 2009, 15:32

I wouldn't jump to conclusions if there isn't a demo though(there may not actually be a contract with MS) because SE keep a lot of things in Asia.

When the demo hits I want to know how good it is, I've seen a lot of people complaining about the graphics from the screenshots and trailer and I'm a bit confused as it looks really good to me(especially the more recent screenshots).
SpoonyRedMage 39

Postby lonewolf2002 » 29 Mar 2009, 15:47

artiezappa wrote:Unfortunately for those of us who do not speak Japanese, the demo will not be in English. Play Asia explicitly states this on their import page.

However, there is a bright spot on the horizon. FFVII:ACC is coming to the US in June with an "exclusive sneak peak" at FFXIII, according to a few sites (1UP link below). As the site says, Microsoft's contract with Square may prevent a PS3 demo in the US at this time, but we'll see in June.

Thanks I have read about the USA offering but read that as a half arsed attempt at appeasing the western audiences due to Japanese demo exclusivity. As for MSoft controlling the demo who knows but seeing as SE first announced 13 for the PS3 I really doubt MSoft had a hand this but wouldn't discount it 100%. Either way shame we wont be getting the demo :cry:. Fingers crossed they see the error of their ways and release the demo in english(sorry non english speakers but gotta look out for yourself first :twisted: :P) through PSN. 8)

360 Lon3Wolf2002

PSN lone_WOLF2002

Steam lonewolf10
lonewolf2002 64

Postby only_777 » 29 Mar 2009, 17:05

lonewolf2002 wrote:
Cool thanks for reply I am not so lucky to have help with Japanese, do me a favour, if it is playable to someone with no grasp of Japanese could you let me know please. If it is my order for AC complete import will be immediate :D .

I have had a few asian RPG's that could be switched to english no problem but I doubt they would put that functionality into a demo but fingers crossed.

Well once I get my disc through the post and play it a little - I'll upload a video to youtube and take some screens and make a post on the forum so you all can see it! :D
only_777 61

Postby lonewolf2002 » 29 Mar 2009, 23:51

only_777 wrote:
lonewolf2002 wrote:

Well once I get my disc through the post and play it a little - I'll upload a video to youtube and take some screens and make a post on the forum so you all can see it! :D

Thanks that would be good but I have to admit I will be calling you a few names whilst watching :lol:

360 Lon3Wolf2002

PSN lone_WOLF2002

Steam lonewolf10
lonewolf2002 64

Postby Black Mantis » 30 Mar 2009, 09:28

lonewolf2002 wrote:
artiezappa wrote:Unfortunately for those of us who do not speak Japanese, the demo will not be in English. Play Asia explicitly states this on their import page.

Thanks I have read about the USA offering but read that as a half arsed attempt at appeasing the western audiences due to Japanese demo exclusivity. As for MSoft controlling the demo who knows but seeing as SE first announced 13 for the PS3 I really doubt MSoft had a hand this but wouldn't discount it 100%. Either way shame we wont be getting the demo :cry:. Fingers crossed they see the error of their ways and release the demo in english(sorry non english speakers but gotta look out for yourself first :twisted: :P) through PSN. 8)

Why would you want a demo of a game that won't come out over here until next year anyway? I'm looking forward to this as much as anyone, but that would make the long wait even more painful in my opinion.
Black Mantis 67

Postby orochiguyver » 30 Mar 2009, 09:33

Thank god they have got rid of the aweful battle system of FFXII. It was one of the main reasons I never got past 1 hr of playing it. Japanese RPGs always felt different from MMORPGS and I think that was a good thing. Like how I never want SF to feel like KOF, yet I love both for what they are, because of how they are.
orochiguyver 33

Postby Icepick75 » 30 Mar 2009, 11:00

Anyone know where this new trailer is that they mentioned?
Icepick75 36

Postby MrPirtniw » 30 Mar 2009, 12:46

So you've ordered Advent Children. May I give you some advice? Upon recieving the disc, instead of watching it- lay it gently on the floor, put on a pair of over-sized doc martin boots and do some kind of Irish dance on it.

Awful, awful film. And I loved Final Fantasy 7.
"Stop your putrid whining you dank tuft of rectal pubic hair."
Currently playing:
MrPirtniw 71

Xbox Live: Tysh0

Postby potnoodle1 » 30 Mar 2009, 15:21

I personally thought FFX-2 had probably one the best implementations of the ATB - it really was hard to fault it. That XIII is following a similar approach is a good thing as far as I’m concerned.
potnoodle1 52

Postby starsail » 30 Mar 2009, 21:54

I bet MS are giving the employee, who thought of bribing Square Enix out of their PS3 exclusive deal, a right royal pat on the back. How important this deal may prove 2 be may and it may also be MS saving grace. How would MS have coped with the stellar 2009 PS3 line up capped off with this game being a PS3 exclusive? Good talk on MS behalf but will it be too late?
Looking at the line up for MS exclusivity we have Mass Effect 2 (original being some what underwhelming and flawed) and Halo spin off (add on, but how I loooovvveee Halo) and ... thats ... urm ... it! How will MS cope with God Of War 3, Drake Fortunes 2, Ratchet & Clank, Heavey Rain, White Knight Chronicals, Final Fantasy Verses, Massive Action Game, The Agency, Infamous, Team Eco project, Gran Turismo 5, to all to come with current games like Pacific Rift, Little Big Planet, Killzone 2, Resistance 2, Metal Gear Solid 4 and more sitting on the shelf with a free internet browser? And if this is followed by PS3 price cut, MS will sweat poop.
With PS3 sharing most of the titles (and some recent cases, outselling xbox, see RE5) such as Bio Shock 2 and COD MW 2, MS better announce something soon (lets hope its not more Avatars, DLC and spin off add ons).
PS this game will be ace lol but xbox needs to own its own gems in the coming Q3 and Q4 year.
starsail 46

Next