to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Mario Power Tennis

Your comments on our articles.

Serving up another helping of vintage GameCube good times

Hot on the heels of a remastered Pikmin comes another big in-house Nintendo title pitching for wider recognition on the world's mainstream console of choice.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Mario Power Tennis

Postby WHERESMYMONKEY » 04 Mar 2009, 11:13

what i don't understand is why they don't leave in the option to play the new play control games with the original gamecube controls if you want to.

Pikmin was greatly improved by wii controls, but this feels like its been gimped as a result.

Still sounds fun though, but not as great as it was.
Comedy. gaming. Lemmings? You do the math www.laserlemming.com
User avatar
WHERESMYMONKEY 66
 
Posts: 8949
Joined: 09 Oct 2008, 13:59
Location: United Kingdom

Postby carterlink » 04 Mar 2009, 11:34

I think they do, but couldn't swear on it. I know the upcoming (and superb) Jungle Beat will allow for traditional control.
carterlink 44
 
Posts: 601
Joined: 15 Jun 2007, 17:10
Location: United Kingdom

Postby WHERESMYMONKEY » 04 Mar 2009, 12:08

i think i'll give traditional bongo based control a miss on jungle beat. I couldn't play it for more than an hour because of the pain. Only game i can say i played till my fingers bled.
Comedy. gaming. Lemmings? You do the math www.laserlemming.com
User avatar
WHERESMYMONKEY 66
 
Posts: 8949
Joined: 09 Oct 2008, 13:59
Location: United Kingdom

Postby carterlink » 04 Mar 2009, 22:44

WHERESMYMONKEY wrote:i think i'll give traditional bongo based control a miss on jungle beat. I couldn't play it for more than an hour because of the pain. Only game i can say i played till my fingers bled.


No, I meant traditional, as in classic/GameCube pad control. At least that's what I've read. Hope it's true. I've always wanted to play the game properly, minus the Bongos and the awful pad method of the original release. I'm hoping for standard analogue platformer control.
carterlink 44
 
Posts: 601
Joined: 15 Jun 2007, 17:10
Location: United Kingdom

Postby WHERESMYMONKEY » 05 Mar 2009, 14:20

From what i've heard they've added extra levels, rejiiged some of the existing ones and made it alot more like a traditional platformer. Including control. The wii controls look pretty solid too. analogue stick and the a button for most of it.

Its also been out in japan since december. sorely tempted to try track down a copy and give it a whirl.

Gave play control Metroid a go the other day. It doesn't look much better graphically but controlwise is now identical to corruption. Makes the game play a hell of a lot better.
Comedy. gaming. Lemmings? You do the math www.laserlemming.com
User avatar
WHERESMYMONKEY 66
 
Posts: 8949
Joined: 09 Oct 2008, 13:59
Location: United Kingdom

Postby Biggwedge » 05 Mar 2009, 17:02

Graphically NPC Metroid Prime is exactly the same but in widescreen.

Why couldn't Nintendo just make a Mario Tennis, they made a new Mario Kart didn't they? Stupidity.

Say no to ports people, NPC included.
User avatar
Biggwedge 55
 
Posts: 1412
Joined: 15 Feb 2007, 20:13
Location: United Kingdom

Postby carterlink » 06 Mar 2009, 01:07

Biggwedge wrote:Graphically NPC Metroid Prime is exactly the same but in widescreen.

Why couldn't Nintendo just make a Mario Tennis, they made a new Mario Kart didn't they? Stupidity.

Say no to ports people, NPC included.


Good job Metroid's visuals still stand up today then. I'd take Metroid's stunning art design over the unimaginative Killzone 2 any day.
carterlink 44
 
Posts: 601
Joined: 15 Jun 2007, 17:10
Location: United Kingdom

Postby Biggwedge » 06 Mar 2009, 11:19

carterlink wrote:
Biggwedge wrote:Graphically NPC Metroid Prime is exactly the same but in widescreen.

Why couldn't Nintendo just make a Mario Tennis, they made a new Mario Kart didn't they? Stupidity.

Say no to ports people, NPC included.


Good job Metroid's visuals still stand up today then. I'd take Metroid's stunning art design over the unimaginative Killzone 2 any day.


I completely agree, Metroid Prime hasn't aged at all. The 60 frames a second engine with at the time cutting edge technology, the art is good too (not as good as Prime 3 IMO). Almost makes me sad how little Retro Studios evolved their technology.

Killzone may be a little bland but the art style and careful use of effects is what makes it look so good.

A port is still a port, a waste of resources.
User avatar
Biggwedge 55
 
Posts: 1412
Joined: 15 Feb 2007, 20:13
Location: United Kingdom

Postby WHERESMYMONKEY » 06 Mar 2009, 12:43

I'm happy to have ports of great games that i missed first time round, and old classics given a bit of spit and polish.

I don't see how rereleasing games alot of wii owners didn't play the first time round with better controls as a waste of resourses it takes a hell of a lot less cash and development time and they can use them to see whether its worth making a sequel. Take Pikmin for example they are rerelasing 1&2, from what i've heard they have been recieved well on the new system and therefore Nintendo are more likely to think hmm lets make a 3rd then. If they haven't already got one on the go and are rereleasing the others to make sure the 3rd is a success.

They did the aame on the Cube when the resi remake was released. They ported the rest of the series to it so that gamers got the complete experience and were completely up together with the resi before 4 was released.

Terrible bad nintendo for resurrecting great games no one played. and not just porting them but acctually making them relevent to your new machine.
Comedy. gaming. Lemmings? You do the math www.laserlemming.com
User avatar
WHERESMYMONKEY 66
 
Posts: 8949
Joined: 09 Oct 2008, 13:59
Location: United Kingdom

Postby Biggwedge » 06 Mar 2009, 13:47

WHERESMYMONKEY wrote:I'm happy to have ports of great games that i missed first time round, and old classics given a bit of spit and polish.


I'm sure you must be happy with all of those PS2 ports as well, I am not as I know the Wii deserves better. This is Nintendo almost saying that the ports we all groan about are ok.

The games are not polished remakes, just old games with new controls that 'improve' the experience. This time it hasn't worked with Mario Tennis, although Pikmin and Metroid do have superior controls (which they won't take advantage of because they are ultimately Gamecube games).

Tell me, was NPC Metroid Prime worth a few of the higher up members of Retro Studios leaving or delaying their next project? I don't think so.

The Wii already has perfect backwards compatibility, which makes this seem greedy.

Coupled with the fact that nothing else is going to be officially released but these NPC things by Nintendo, and you have what I deem to be a waste of time.

WHERESMYMONKEY wrote:I don't see how rereleasing games alot of wii owners didn't play the first time round with better controls as a waste of resourses it takes a hell of a lot less cash and development time and they can use them to see whether its worth making a sequel. Take Pikmin for example they are rerelasing 1&2, from what i've heard they have been recieved well on the new system and therefore Nintendo are more likely to think hmm lets make a 3rd then. If they haven't already got one on the go and are rereleasing the others to make sure the 3rd is a success.


Pikmin is already a successful franchise, and that was on the Gamecube which didn't get the support it deserved. Miyamoto has already said that a new Pikmin is on the way.

Tell me then, why would Nintendo need to test the waters on their own bloody system? Nintendo sells, we all know that.

Metroid Prime 3 is already on the Wii, why not advertise that instead. Does it not deserve it more?

WHERESMYMONKEY wrote:They did the aame on the Cube when the resi remake was released. They ported the rest of the series to it so that gamers got the complete experience and were completely up together with the resi before 4 was released.


That was Capcoms doing, and those ports bombed hard. The NPC range will succeed though, because everything has a chance on the Wii.

WHERESMYMONKEY wrote:
Terrible bad nintendo for resurrecting great games no one played. and not just porting them but acctually making them relevent to your new machine.


Now you get it.
User avatar
Biggwedge 55
 
Posts: 1412
Joined: 15 Feb 2007, 20:13
Location: United Kingdom


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], StonecoldMC, the1paz and 15 guests

The forum teamDelete all forum cookiesAll times are UTC [ DST ]