to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Mortal Kombat sale "tragic"

Your comments on our articles.

But Midway needs to do "whatever necessary to survive", says analyst Pachter

Troubled publisher Midway's forced sale of its Mortal Kombat franchise is "tragic", but it needs to do "whatever necessary to survive", super star analyst Michael Pachter has said.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Mortal Kombat sale "tragic"

Postby Liamario » 03 Mar 2009, 11:45

The only thing sad about mortal kombat being sold, is that it is being sold. What I mean to say is, why the hell would anyone want to buy the bloody thing. The series has been a farce for years now. Perhaps if they'd stopped releasing games in a semi successful series, perhpas they wouldn't be in the position they are in now.
Liamario 22

Postby heatuk10 » 03 Mar 2009, 11:49

totally agree! think mortal kombat's the reason midway are in trouble! didn't really hit the big time when it moved to 3D
heatuk10 26

Postby _Marty_ » 03 Mar 2009, 11:55

How is 1.8 million copies shipped 'tragic'?
I'd say for a decent (but not great) fighter, 1.8 million is brilliant!
NEO ANARCHIST AND BEST BANG SINCE THE BIG ONE

"RIP my baby kitty - forever in our hearts"
_Marty_ 59

Xbox Live: Da Sausageman

Postby heatuk10 » 03 Mar 2009, 11:59

Think in terms of the competition it is!
heatuk10 26

Postby thelazyone » 03 Mar 2009, 12:03

Id like to see mortal combat get the guilty gears treatment!

Those guys know how to make brilliant 2d beat em ups, and I think their anime styling would be perfect for the mortal combat series!!
thelazyone 56

Xbox Live: HyperSinperPOW
PSN ID: Googie_1
Wii Code: WiiU- 2hathuddas

Postby _Marty_ » 03 Mar 2009, 12:06

heatuk10 wrote:Think in terms of the competition it is!

The competition? Before Street Fighter IV the fighter genre was woefully under-represented - certainly in terms of quality.
I would argue that MKvsDCU was one of the best fighters to hit this gen, and 1.8 million sales goes some way to reinforce this opinion.

_Marty_ 59

Postby WHERESMYMONKEY » 03 Mar 2009, 12:08

Considering the competition there hasn't been a decent fighter in years. Untill SF IV came alone. We've been treated to more of the same but nothing that was really exciting. They just took logical steps. I do enjoy Virtua Fighter 5 and Soul Calibur 4, but you can't say they've brought anything new to either series other than online play. same could be said of SF IV but the gameplay in general seems much more refined than same old stuff with things tacked on.

At least Mortal Kombat tried to spice things up with each addition rather than just stick to the same formula. Sadly it didn't work. Iw ouldn't call the series a joke. Now Tekken, thats a joke.
Comedy. gaming. Lemmings? You do the math www.laserlemming.com
WHERESMYMONKEY 65

Postby mol_e » 03 Mar 2009, 12:11

people can damn MK as much as they want, yes the last few were bad and never lived up to much, others brought comment about this yesterday and i agree shaloin monks was good and i did enjoy that, if this is given to new developments then it stands every chance of being reinvigorated.
PSN: Mol_e

[url="http://www.tripletags.com/profile.asp?memberID=61732"]Image[/url]
mol_e 24

Postby Liamario » 03 Mar 2009, 12:19

_Marty_ wrote:

The competition? Before Street Fighter IV the fighter genre was woefully under-represented - certainly in terms of quality.
I would argue that MKvsDCU was one of the best fighters to hit this gen, and 1.8 million sales goes some way to reinforce this opinion.

1.8 million shipped isn't sales.
Liamario 22

Postby pherik » 03 Mar 2009, 12:20

Got to agree with WHERESMYMONKEY, I really love Soul Calibur IV, but there is very little in there that hasn't been done before. SFIV looks like it falls into that category as well.

Sadly, I think the genre, and it's fans, are very much set in a rut. Unfortunately the only fighting games that seem to try anything new aren't very well received (Rumble Roses XX comes to mind, it played differently, but was definitely flawed), while the ones people like tend to be refinement and small iterations of previous versions.

Though would disagree on your view on Tekken, then again I've not played it since Tekken 3.
pherik 51

Postby _Marty_ » 03 Mar 2009, 12:21

Liamario wrote:
_Marty_ wrote:

1.8 million shipped isn't sales.

No, but I guarantee you there aren't 1.8 million still sat on store shelves...

_Marty_ 59

Postby ParmaViolet » 03 Mar 2009, 12:23

_Marty_ wrote:

Must admit - I'm really enjoying Virtua Fighter 5 at the moment, but I've only very recently picked it up....not quite sure what kind of figures it sold in, but I know that it went to number 1 in Japan and certainly grazed the top 10 in the UK (I think, anyway).

1.8 million sales is pretty good, in my opinion, and you have to wonder what kind of figures they were expecting. Let's face it, Mortal Kombat certainly has a checkered history for 'so-so' titles. I remember absolutely loving the first 2, but I'd definitely only consider picking one up if it was getting really high review scores (85-90% etc)....and, even then; I'd be fairly apprehensive.

It'd be great if someone new can breathe some life into it - it's still a great franchise with a lot of history.

:)
ParmaViolet 66

Postby heatuk10 » 03 Mar 2009, 12:28

when I said competition I ment ever, not just in the past few years!

It does need a revamp and going down the street fighter IV route would be an idea! going back to it's 2d routes
heatuk10 26

Postby svd_grasshopper » 03 Mar 2009, 12:36

MK is a joke on anything other than 16-bit consoles.

TOASTY!
svd_grasshopper 62

Postby WHERESMYMONKEY » 03 Mar 2009, 12:50

pherik wrote:Though would disagree on your view on Tekken, then again I've not played it since Tekken 3.

funnily enough i consider Tekken 3 to be the high point of the series. I wouldn't bother with anything after it if you haven't already. keep memories of tekken to that brillant fighter.

On the MK front the Saturn version of ultimate MK 3 was my facourite thing was bloody arcade perfect.
Comedy. gaming. Lemmings? You do the math www.laserlemming.com
WHERESMYMONKEY 65

Next