GTA: Chinatown Wars

Your comments on our articles.

Preview: Our most anticipated DS game as of RIGHT NOW

Misconception is the dark cloud hanging over the success of this game. There's an assumption that Chinatown Wars is just a quickly made, cut-down GTA on a technically limited console. But don't jump to those conclusions. We recently popped down to Rockstar's London office and came out genuinely surprised and positively impressed. This is a very serious take on GTA.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

GTA: Chinatown Wars

Postby svensk101 » 20 Jan 2009, 19:16

This sounds better and better the more I hear about it; didn't appeal at all at first. Got to take my hat off to Rockstar for not doing some toned-down, half-arsed version. Nice one!
svensk101 50

Postby Alik Turfanni » 20 Jan 2009, 21:26

I agree. Im not a big fan of handhelds, but this game does look very good, i may even invest in a ds for this alone.
Alik Turfanni 46

Postby trzarector » 20 Jan 2009, 23:48

I agree with the dude above. I'll be buying a DS (DSi) and a copy of this on launch day!

Rockstar does it again!!! It seems?
trzarector 50

Postby The Kool Kid » 21 Jan 2009, 01:15

Well after reading that i'm wiping the dust off from my DS... :)
The Kool Kid 47

PSN ID: GrandCoconut

Postby WHERESMYMONKEY » 21 Jan 2009, 10:21

sweet another quality game for the ds.

No wonder its got the psps balls in a vice.
WHERESMYMONKEY 66

Postby bigeck77 » 21 Jan 2009, 14:37

to wheresmymonkey above haven't you played liberty city/vice city stories on psp? and b4 you start I have a ds also.
bigeck77 24

Postby Mappman » 21 Jan 2009, 18:20

What stands out to me in this preview is the reporters' surprise that so much can be "squeezed" out of the DS.

Okay its not the most powerful handheld, but it says a lot about the general standard of releases that popping in a bit of weather and physics can wow people so much. Clearly, the DS has always been capable of such things, but noone has bothered to see how far they can push its performance.

It reminds me of how blown away people were by RE4 on Gamecube. Why?! It was always clear that the Gamecube was being under-used. It just saddened me that there weren't more games of that graphical standard coming from third parties. I suspect the Wii is in a rather similar position.
Gaming since 1984(!)
Mappman 45

Postby GiarcYekrub » 21 Jan 2009, 19:04

I must get this, I almost bought a PSP for the stories games but they came out on PS2 anyway
GiarcYekrub 35

Postby carterlink » 21 Jan 2009, 22:49

Mappman wrote:What stands out to me in this preview is the reporters' surprise that so much can be "squeezed" out of the DS.

Okay its not the most powerful handheld, but it says a lot about the general standard of releases that popping in a bit of weather and physics can wow people so much. Clearly, the DS has always been capable of such things, but noone has bothered to see how far they can push its performance.

It reminds me of how blown away people were by RE4 on Gamecube. Why?! It was always clear that the Gamecube was being under-used. It just saddened me that there weren't more games of that graphical standard coming from third parties. I suspect the Wii is in a rather similar position.

Not true. The GameCube's (superior than PS2's) power was used from the get-go. Launch title Rogue Squadron still looks superb, even now.

GameCube had some of the very best looking titles of the last generation. Wind Waker being another.
carterlink 44

Postby Mappman » 22 Jan 2009, 13:25

carterlink wrote:
Mappman wrote:What stands out to me in this preview is the reporters' surprise that so much can be "squeezed" out of the DS.

Not true. The GameCube's (superior than PS2's) power was used from the get-go. Launch title Rogue Squadron still looks superb, even now.

GameCube had some of the very best looking titles of the last generation. Wind Waker being another.

Rogue Squadron is indeed a lovely looking game, but I seem to recall opinions on Wind Waker's visuals being very much divided (though personally I like cel-shading).

I just meant that journalists always seem surprised when games on Nintendo consoles look great.
Gaming since 1984(!)
Mappman 45

Postby discostoo » 22 Jan 2009, 13:44

What's lacking in this thread is a bit of detail. The largest NDS cartridges are 128MB. All that on 128MB?!?? Incredible compresssion.
discostoo 44

Postby WHERESMYMONKEY » 23 Jan 2009, 15:22

bigeck77 wrote:to wheresmymonkey above haven't you played liberty city/vice city stories on psp? and b4 you start I have a ds also.

yes i've played both of em. I thought they were dull add ons to GTA 3 and Vice city. The only reason I kept Liberty city stories in my Psp was to use the exploit to play emulated games and homebrew on.

now the Ds does that better too.

My initial comment was more about the fact that the ratio of really good original titles and sales greatly favours the ds.

The PSP is just awash with crap and bad ps2 ports.

I know there is a great lot of crap and ports on the ds also but there is also alot more quality games i the mix too.
WHERESMYMONKEY 66

Postby carterlink » 23 Jan 2009, 18:53

Mappman wrote:
carterlink wrote:

Rogue Squadron is indeed a lovely looking game, but I seem to recall opinions on Wind Waker's visuals being very much divided (though personally I like cel-shading).

I just meant that journalists always seem surprised when games on Nintendo consoles look great.

People were only divided about Wind Waker's visuals on stylistic grounds. Not on its overall aesthetic quality.

That said, I know where you're coming from with regards to journalists.
carterlink 44