EA axing 1,000 jobs

Your comments on our articles.

Cuts to be made by March 31, 2009

Electronic Arts has revealed the severity of its current financial situation by announcing 1,000 jobs will be cut by March 31, 2009.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

EA axing 1,000 jobs

Postby Depravo » 22 Dec 2008, 17:17

I have a cunning plan for EA to keep the staff - How about they give them a copy of last years paycheck but just change the date on it? It's the same principle as what they have been doing to their customers for all these years.
Last edited by Depravo on 22 Dec 2008, 17:32, edited 1 time in total.
Depravo 32

EA axing 1,000 jobs

Postby ronin Ithikus » 22 Dec 2008, 17:24

EA's Christmas message to it's work force. How nice of them.
ronin Ithikus 40

Postby Tonyb » 22 Dec 2008, 17:28

Bad news for the 1000 employees and for me doesn't make it any less tragic even though it's EA.

If a publishing giant like EA are feeling the pinch, god knows how bad it must be for the other devs & publishers, more redundancies and closures to come I reckon unfortunately!
Tonyb 58

Postby snips10 » 22 Dec 2008, 17:31

That's 1,000 developers out of work. Hardly good news for the gaming industry.

EA have released some cracking good titles of late and as much as I enjoy seeing corporate big wigs get one stuck up their fat @rses, for hard working, gifted developers to pay the price is not good news.
snips10 48

Postby WHERESMYMONKEY » 22 Dec 2008, 17:34

tough times all round then. Hope that the guys that lose thier jobs can find em with another company.

pretty much puts the keibosh on rumours that EA were one of the parties interested in free radical.
WHERESMYMONKEY 66

Postby sinnotta » 22 Dec 2008, 17:39

the top 5 people in EA probably make $120,000,000 a year between them why cant they cut their wages or quit that would save 1000 people their jobs
sinnotta 35

Postby ronin Ithikus » 22 Dec 2008, 17:40

OK there is no positive spin on this but lets look at it this way. 1000 people made redundant. 1000 People possible free to persue there own gaming ideas. Maybe some of these guys/girls will do just that.The return of the small indy studios and fresh ideas. Fingers crossed. I do hope as stated above these guys get jobs again quickly. I wonder how many of these redundances were in the managment side of things. If my experience of late is anything to go by not a lot.
ronin Ithikus 40

Postby smithster118 » 22 Dec 2008, 17:40

Well to be honest its there own fault...

1) New Need for Speed was awful
2) Dead Space and Mirrors Edge was released at the roughly the same time as GOW 2 and COD: WAW so they didn't have a hope (Unlucky because Dead Space was good)

They need to scrap NFS for good, Burnout is brilliant

No need for Mirrors Edge sequel they can't improve it. DICE, stick with Battlefield
smithster118 32

Postby justy_uk » 22 Dec 2008, 18:48

smithster118 wrote:Well to be honest its there own fault...

2) Dead Space and Mirrors Edge was released at the roughly the same time as GOW 2 and COD: WAW so they didn't have a hope (Unlucky because Dead Space was good)

No need for Mirrors Edge sequel they can't improve it. DICE, stick with Battlefield

Bit Harsh!

EA have turned themselves around of late imo.

Releasing games at the same time as other games is common practice, they shouldn't have to tip-toe around each other with release dates. We're in the fortunate position of big name releases being quite a common occurence this gen. Doesn't exactly warrant them deserving to be in financial trouble when theyre releasing games when complete as opposed to holding them back to generate more interest for them and over-hyping them!

As for Dice, come on! EA are slated for releasing yearly updates, now you're encouraging Dice to do that? Let developers create new IP's goddammit!!
justy_uk 44

Postby JoWoo » 22 Dec 2008, 19:08

Makes me a little sick actually. It's not as if EA are in "real" financial trouble, as this article claims. They're still making billions in profit, just not as much as they did last year. And they think that's enough to justify the sacking of 1000 people?

At least Woolworths had the decency to go bust before they sacked everyone.

Still, maybe this will also mean a fewer Sims expansion packs.
JoWoo 43

Postby Tonyb » 22 Dec 2008, 19:24

justy_uk wrote:
smithster118 wrote:Well to be honest its there own fault...

Bit Harsh!

EA have turned themselves around of late imo.

Releasing games at the same time as other games is common practice, they shouldn't have to tip-toe around each other with release dates. We're in the fortunate position of big name releases being quite a common occurence this gen. Doesn't exactly warrant them deserving to be in financial trouble when theyre releasing games when complete as opposed to holding them back to generate more interest for them and over-hyping them!

As for Dice, come on! EA are slated for releasing yearly updates, now you're encouraging Dice to do that? Let developers create new IP's goddammit!!

It's more than a bit harsh!

The EA management are the people who decide when titles get released and not the general employees. The 1000 who have been sacked and dropped in the s**t before Christmas have no direct influence on these type of decisions and so are in no way to blame.

I do however think you have a very valid point about the timing of their releases and titles getting lost amongst rival quality games and therefore not selling anywhere near as many as projected.

I for one have had to be VERY selective about which games I have bought over the past 6-12 months and infact have probably only purchased 50% of what I would've 18 months ago.

Unfortunately, I think a lot of other people are in exactly the same boat, meaning new IP's are going to struggle to attain anywhere near the sales they deserve regardless of their quality, as it's all about purchasing one title a month as opposed to maybe 3 or 4 a year ago.
Tonyb 58

Postby dark_gamer » 22 Dec 2008, 20:00

snips10 wrote:That's 1,000 developers out of work. Hardly good news for the gaming industry

Who ever said they're developers? Could also be from parts of the industry such as management (as someone else suggested) and QA.
Gamertag: Racxie
PSN ID: Racxie
dark_gamer 53

Postby The_KFD_Case » 23 Dec 2008, 01:23

Some salient points and suggestions have been made in this thread, in my opinion. My sincere sympathies go out to the 1,000 individuals who will be in between jobs in short order. :cry:

As for EA itself here are my suggestions which might (though not guaranteed,) improve sales figures:

1) Drop the DRM SecuROM which does little to stop the serious pirates (and it only takes one to spread it on the internet). It's offensive, ineffective and it screws with PC users' private property which EA has no right to nor jurisdiction over.

2) Consider spreading major titles more strategically over the course of a year instead of creating a bottleneck release. This rings especially true during times where lots of people are feeling the economic pinch.

3) Change your reputation and public image, EA. Right now it is much maligned and mistrusted by what appears to be a not insignificant amount of gamers which is in part caused by dodgy customer service (ex. remember the debacle when Red Alert 3, I think it was, shipped with only 15 of the 16 digits needed in the activation code and EA asked people to guess the last digit? That's lame service,) and outright anger at the duplicitous money grabbing scams of limited activations (ex. Spore being advertised as having multiple accounts per game - it was even stated in the manual - only for paying customers to find out upon installation that they were asked to buy another copy for another profile; it was eventually changed after much outrage).
The_KFD_Case 65

Postby cykosis » 23 Dec 2008, 02:01

Still that's a 1000 people who'll have a tough year next in 2009. Funny but are all hardcore gamers self-obsessed ego jerks?? Love to see if any of the moaners can do better.
cykosis 46

Postby oldschool » 23 Dec 2008, 04:37

EA is a classic showcase of what happens when marketing take over the power from the developers. They have become a behemoth, a Titanic, which is too late and too big to change.

I hope they don't go down (don't assume any company no matter how big can't, look around) as some very good games get released amongst their yearly 'updates'. Surely Ubisoft is a much bigger criminal these days. Every second game of theirs ends with a Zed. At least that is a warning signal to all wordly gamers to avoid.
Venom UK - a missed member.

I will remember him every time I visit.

A true gentleman and great forum member.
oldschool 51

Next