Saints Row 2

Your comments on our articles.

Gettin' jiggy and giggly in the gangsta's paradise...

We don't get the recent GTA IV backlash. At all. It's possibly the biggest spot of revisionist history since Marty McFly accidentally erased his entire family in Back to the Future Part 2. GTA IV was amazing. Deep down, everyone knows it. Though even we'd admit that once you'd ploughed through Niko's story, what remained was hardly the greatest example of raucous sandbox fun...... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Saints Row 2

Postby Jamie_Slaughter » 14 Oct 2008, 10:08

Really couldn't care less about this game. Was expecting to see it score 6/7. Ah well, I'm sure some people like the look of it :P
Jamie_Slaughter 47

Postby Coth » 14 Oct 2008, 10:15

I got the first game with my original 360, It was excellent fun, having never really played the GTA franchise I bought into the hype and picked up GTA4, the perfect game would have been the graphics of GTA with the madness of SR, I am really looking forward to this game.
Coth 6

Postby k109 » 14 Oct 2008, 10:17

IV was great but after its done, it feels very shallow with nothing at all to do.

i think san-an's RPG style leveling up system was much more suited to an open-ended sandbox game like this. there werent even any trucker missions (RS haul) in IV - even though they were reported to be in before release... held back for 360 DLC?

(and who cares about saints row - nice detailed review!)
k109 38

Postby Dajmin » 14 Oct 2008, 10:26

Never been as interested in the Bling culture of SR as I was in the gritty nasty brutal gang stuff of GTA (especially 4). But it's good that at least SR fans have a decent game to play.

That said, if the pop-up and frame rate issues are even worse than GTA4, I couldn't play it. I remember the original SR adverts and I watched in horror as the PROMO material showed frame rate problems.
Xfire | Xbox Live | PSN: Dajmin
DAJMIN.COM - The Rock Star Gamer
Dajmin 63

Xbox Live: Dajmin
PSN ID: Dajmin
Steam: Dajmin
xFire: Dajmin

Postby MrPirtniw » 14 Oct 2008, 10:32

Never could get into GTA- I've played all for a descent chunk of time but I've found them dull... though the radio stations were always good to listen to.

I played Saints Row when it first came out too- and although it's still not my 'thing', it did seem to be a bit more fun.

As for GTA 4, I still have no desire to play it yet! I'll probably borrow it off a mate but I've heard so many people knocking it I won't keep my hopes up. The videos for Saints Row 2 do look hilarious though.

On another totally off topic note: Why won't my PS2 play PS1 games? All this talk of Colony Wars last week forced me to go and get a copy, but alas, I get a black screen of doom. Why? Wwwhhhyyy?
"Stop your putrid whining you dank tuft of rectal pubic hair."
Currently playing:
MrPirtniw 71

Xbox Live: Tysh0
PSN ID: MrPirtniw

Postby k109 » 14 Oct 2008, 10:35

f**king hot dog suits and s**t like that... :roll:

we can have fun without the clown element, seems to be relying on stupidity.. doubt the game has any lasting appeal - its worth the £15 that tesco is selling the 360 version for. but no ps3 version.. sold out looks like.

definately not worth full price. i dont dont where eurogamer got a 9/10 from. the silliness, bling and bad technical issues downgrade it for me heavily. definately a bargain pickup for most.

the pop-up in IV (ps3) is not bad at all - heardly even noticable.. i think the 360 version is a bit worse though.
k109 38

Postby MrPirtniw » 14 Oct 2008, 10:40

Sounds like someone needs a sense of humour...

And I loved the unprovoked little dig at the 360 there. Well done. :roll:
Currently playing:
MrPirtniw 71

Postby k109 » 14 Oct 2008, 10:55

MrPirtniw wrote:Sounds like someone needs a sense of humour...

And I loved the unprovoked little dig at the 360 there. Well done. :roll:

unprovoked?

someone said the popup in GTAIV was bad. my version, it certainly isnt bad - not even detractable from the experience. you have to really look for it or be going at insane speeds on the bridge. certainly not as bad as the other guy is making out. and i know for a fact the 360 version, without the HDD install, suffers worse popup than the ps3 version. its been noted in reviews.
k109 38

Postby StonecoldMC » 14 Oct 2008, 10:58

Think ill pick up SR2, just not on release day.

The review was kind of how I expected, a good game but nothing standout. I do love all the hate for GTA IV though, personally that was my favourite in the franchise (maybe im just getting a bit older) but the set pieces were brilliant and the writing and dialogue as usual spot on. If I get a better gaming moment than 'Three Leaf Clover' this year then I will indeed be a very happy Gamer.

Finally, best Co Op over Live? What about Left 4 Dead or Horde (Gears2)? Thats a big claim to give it the best Co Op tag. Interest noted.
"Nintendo want to make money by supplying fun, Sony want to make money by supplying Art, MS want to make money."

INTERNET, APRIL 2014
StonecoldMC 82
Global Moderator

Postby MrPirtniw » 14 Oct 2008, 11:01

Ah, but I could of been referring to the "£15 for the xbox version" or the ps3 version is "all sold out" remarks.

But hey ho, you could be right, just have to take your posts with a massive dose of salt sometimes.

But I digress... I don't give a monkeys regardless!
Currently playing:
MrPirtniw 71

Postby k109 » 14 Oct 2008, 11:05

MrPirtniw wrote:Ah, but I could of been referring to the "£15 for the xbox version" or the ps3 version is "all sold out" remarks.

But hey ho, you could be right, just have to take your posts with a massive dose of salt sometimes.

But I digress... I don't give a monkeys regardless!

if you go on eurogamer it says the ps3 version - and not the 360 version is being sold for £15 on tescos. when i go to the tesco site, the ps3 version is no longer available but they are selling the 360 version for £15.

must have started off with ps3 version, sold out, and moved onto the 360 copies.

bargain for a "9/10" game, though i honestly dont think it deserves that score.
k109 38

Postby MrPirtniw » 14 Oct 2008, 11:09

lol alright, alright- I believe you! As I said I'm not really bothered either way!

I'm more concerned in getting Colony Wars running on my PS2.
Currently playing:
MrPirtniw 71

Postby k109 » 14 Oct 2008, 11:13

wasnt exactly talking exclusively to you, despite the quote.

if the game has ps3 trophies, ill pick it up when its £15 again. its certainly worth £15. i dont collect achievements so the 360 version isnt worth it. even at £15.
k109 38

Postby MrPirtniw » 14 Oct 2008, 11:18

It doesn't have trophies. There's an article about it on the homepage.

I will go check out Tesco on the way home from work. £15 ain't bad I guess. Maybe able to trade it in for more than that if I don't like it! Thanks for the tip there... but I'll be getting the 360 version. Sorry :wink:
Currently playing:
MrPirtniw 71

Postby k109 » 14 Oct 2008, 11:41

i have a 360 too, but i dont collect the achievements. noone else has an xbox i know, so theres no competition. and this aint worth £15 for the "gameplay" alone.
k109 38

Next