to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Kane & Lynch dev talks poor scores

Your comments on our articles.

Some reviews "hit the team like a hammer" says IO director

From Freedom Fighters to Kane & Lynch. What went wrong? And how does a team (with real people and real feelings, internet) feel after having something they've worked on for several months or years gets battered by the press and public alike? Jens Peter Kurup, director of Kane & Lynch, reveals all...... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Postby ensabahnur » 10 Sep 2008, 13:44

"I agreed with the existence of most of the game's issues and I knew that it was all something we could deal with professionally when the team took the franchise forward."
well at least they're not blaming the publishers like some other people did with their game.(cough, turning point)
"Your taste buds can't repel flavor of this magnitude!"
ensabahnur 68

Xbox Live: Sk1dmark 76
PSN ID: FLANGEMAN
Steam: Ensabahnur

Postby FLStyle » 10 Sep 2008, 13:44

"I'm not quite sure why, but I remember that review hit the team like a hammer. You can just 'absorb' a bad score but there was something in the tone of that review that was tough on people, and on me."

So in revenge you threatened to pull your your advertisement deal with Gamespot unless they got rid of Jeff? Disgusting if that is the case.

The only good thing that came from Kane and Lynch was the creation of giantbomb.com
FLStyle 55

Postby _Marty_ » 10 Sep 2008, 13:45

When you put things out there in the public domain, especially something people pay for, you will ALWAYS find people that are critics. Always.
You just have to learn to ignore it. Do what I do with movie reviews - don't read them :)

That said, does HE believe Kane and Lynch was a top notch game, or does he believe the low to mediocre scores are fair, and the issues raised are correct?
NEO ANARCHIST AND BEST BANG SINCE THE BIG ONE

"RIP my baby kitty - forever in our hearts"
_Marty_ 59

Xbox Live: Da Sausageman

Postby Syine » 10 Sep 2008, 13:57

JUST MAKE FREEDOM FIGHTERS 2!!!!!
PLEEEEEEAAAAAAAASSSSSSEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!

and make sure Jesper Kyd does the music or i wont buy it! ;p
PSN: Syine
Wii: honestly i dont know! help!

Gaming for 20 glorious years!

Waiting for: borderlands, Heavy Rain, FF13, FFvs13, infamous, assassins creed 2,modernwarfare 2,
Syine 35

Postby Rob S London » 10 Sep 2008, 14:06

Despite it's flaws and riddiculosly difficult bosses - the Truck & Helecopter, I still think that this is one of the under rated titles of 2007 - definately worth picking up a cheap copy, especially for fragile alliance
XBL - Rob S London
PSN Batteredsausage
Rob S London 48

Xbox Live: Rob S London
PSN ID: batteredsausage

Postby tommygouldbourn » 10 Sep 2008, 14:08

This annoys me as i played the game and thought it was poor and very weak compared to hot it was hyped to be.
The fact is overall people were disappointed and when you say in your interview how you can ignore the users well i'm sure you do which is why i may not rush out to get KaL2. :wink:
tommygouldbourn 47

Postby ledickolas » 10 Sep 2008, 14:21

I agree, after all the hype I played the game and was really offended at how bad it was. The game was broken (lost count of the amount of enemies running into walls), the graphics were shite, and it had not grasped the concept of 'adult' game. Pumping loads of swearing into the script doth not an adult game make.

I sorry IO but it was a bucket of shite and Gamespot's review was spot on. After the game had been plastered all over the media for best part of a year it has to live up to expectations.

What I don't understand is that this was the same studio that brought us the amazing Hitman Blood Money.
ledickolas 52

Postby gazza_be » 10 Sep 2008, 14:21

Just make a new Hitman and Freedom Fighters plz. No more Kane and Lynch guff.
gazza_be 49

Postby ricflair » 10 Sep 2008, 14:23

He said he was aware of the issues, yet they didn't fix them?

Maybe I'm being idealistic, but why do developers send games out with obvious flaws? I haven't played K&L so can't comment on it individually but when a game gets universally panned by the gaming press I can't believe that the developers (and more specifically the play testers) didn't see these flaws and fix them.

Developers are always going on about the ongoing cost of creating games, yet 90%+ of games released are absolute crap. And by the sounds of it, this wasn't even a really bad one!
ricflair 75

Xbox Live: Ric Flair78
PSN ID: RicFlair78
Steam: RicFlair78
Battle.net: Wii U: RicFlair

Postby jubbgi01 » 10 Sep 2008, 14:24

It hurt cos only 10 minutes earlier the advertising cheque for gamespots front page had just cleared.
jubbgi01 52

Xbox Live: Garethj
PSN ID: swimthefish
Steam: jubbi

RE KANE AND LYNCH

Postby messaih216 » 10 Sep 2008, 14:30

THOUGHT IT WAS A WASTE OF MONEY.CONTROLS ARE CRAP. THE GAME WAS JUST ANNOYING IN GENERAL.HAD SUCH POTENTIAL,

WHAT WHERE THE DEVS THINKING,
DONT KNOW WHY DEVS RELEASE GAMES THAT EITHER ARENT FINISHED OR ARE JUST RUSHED.

HOPEFULLY THIS WILL BE LESS OF AN ISSUE AS DEVS GET MORE USED TO THE PS3 ARCHITECTURE
messaih216 32

Postby o Raging Bull o » 10 Sep 2008, 14:33

Syine wrote:JUST MAKE FREEDOM FIGHTERS 2!!!!!
PLEEEEEEAAAAAAAASSSSSSEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!

and make sure Jesper Kyd does the music or i wont buy it! ;p

f**k Freedom Fighters,give us a new Hitman,played every one and the last one was wicked.

Even bought the soundtrack,dont put yourselves down IO,think how Silicon Knights must be feeling.
o Raging Bull o 38

Postby wudragon » 10 Sep 2008, 14:38

To sum it up then, IO - Must Try Harder!!
And if you're going to release a dodgy game, don't hype it up like the second coming. That only makes matters worse.
wudragon 50

Re: RE KANE AND LYNCH

Postby jubbgi01 » 10 Sep 2008, 14:38

messaih216 wrote:THOUGHT IT WAS A WASTE OF MONEY.CONTROLS ARE CRAP. THE GAME WAS JUST ANNOYING IN GENERAL.HAD SUCH POTENTIAL,

WHAT WHERE THE DEVS THINKING,
DONT KNOW WHY DEVS RELEASE GAMES THAT EITHER ARENT FINISHED OR ARE JUST RUSHED.

HOPEFULLY THIS WILL BE LESS OF AN ISSUE AS DEVS GET MORE USED TO THE PS3 ARCHITECTURE

CaPs!

You do know that the 360 and pc version were just as bad too, right?
jubbgi01 52

Xbox Live: Garethj
PSN ID: swimthefish
Steam: jubbi

Postby FunkYellowMonkey » 10 Sep 2008, 15:09

Well it was a rather mediocre affair, sluggish controls, old gen graphics - but it had something that kept me going. Hopefully the sequel will fare better, use of the new tomb raider engine perhaps? lol :p
~funkyellowmonkey(ps3 id)~
FunkYellowMonkey 41

Next