Final Fantasy XII

Your comments on our articles.

Fully fleshed out, coherent, totally playable and completely sublime

Videogaming's premier adventure series finally returns to PS2 and the result is, quite frankly, one of the best adventures ever to hit the machine.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Final Fantasy XII

Postby Sirini » 16 Dec 2006, 00:04

FF12 I believe is the best of the Ps2 Final Fantasys by a wide margin, but does not stand up to the grandeur of such as 6 and 7.

It has brilliant graphics, with slowdown at only a few instances, the world is huge in comparison to the other FF's and beautifully created. The new combat system is great, it is still turnbased just that commands are automatically assigned according to whatever Gambits are set - you don't have to keep mashing the attack button like in other FF's. The game while still quite easy especially after the first few bosses, can be challenging when fighting certain marks and bosses.

What does let the game down is the storyline, it is dull in comparison to all the other FF's. There are no twists, and after the first few hours the story becomes very thin. It mainly consists of going to the hub of the game (Rabanastre), and spending a few hours walking to Y location fighting a couple of bosses along the way to fight a major boss, having 10 minutes of plot, then spending another 2 hours going to Z location, fighting another boss and finishing the section of the storyline (where you then return to Rabanastre and start again). While the motives and personality of the characters are explored slightly, it is not very deep and you don't feel like you really "know" them as in other FF games. There's no love story in the game, and you don't really want to find out what happens next because it's predictable.

The only other thing that I believe lets the game down is the voice acting. Some of it is brilliant, as with Balthier, Basch, Noah and especially Doctor Cid. Some of the voice acting is terrible, Vayne has no passion in his voice for someone in his position. For a lot of the characters it is very hard to hear any emotion or urgency in their voices.

I agree mostly with the review of the game (though I was expecting a much more comprehensive review), 9 is a fair score - it is one of the best RPGS of recent years, but by no means perfect.
Sirini 49

Postby screamingdean » 17 Dec 2006, 18:15

I have the US game and it is very, very good. Must've played 200+ hours on it.
My only complaints are the story is a little hackneyed (and a bit too similar to FFIX) and the characters are a bit wooden and pointless as far as the story goes (Penelo and Vaan really are'nt needed). But the Gambits are genius! And it looks good!
screamingdean 26

Postby blynk » 18 Dec 2006, 14:07

so the game is the best in the series, the review has no negative comments, and there is nothing listed in the "downers" column, yet the game only gets 9.0 instead of 10? what gives?
blynk 26

Postby spacelion » 19 Dec 2006, 14:01

blynk wrote:so the game is the best in the series, the review has no negative comments, and there is nothing listed in the "downers" column, yet the game only gets 9.0 instead of 10? what gives?

my thoughts exactly. I really hate when reviewers take marks off just because they don't like giving games/movies/anything top points.

bit early for a review anyway, isn't it? I know it's been out in the US for months, but I didn't think it was due in Europe til March
spacelion 36

Postby DaRockwilder1 » 21 Dec 2006, 09:49

It’s more annoying that they don’t bring it out on all machines.
I can’t be bothered to get my ps2 out again.
Gaming since 1985
DaRockwilder1 65

Xbox Live: DaRockwilder1
PSN ID: DaRockwilder1

Postby spacelion » 22 Dec 2006, 13:05

DaRockwilder1 wrote:It’s more annoying that they don’t bring it out on all machines.
I can’t be bothered to get my ps2 out again.

well if you're THAT lazy, I can't imagine you'd be the kind of gamer to invest all those required hours anyway :roll:
spacelion 36

Postby DaRockwilder1 » 22 Dec 2006, 13:28

Its called putting the crap away and replacing with better. :P
Gaming since 1985
DaRockwilder1 65

Xbox Live: DaRockwilder1
PSN ID: DaRockwilder1

Postby User removed » 03 Jan 2007, 03:12

hi rez screenshots pls.
FOR CRYING OUT LOUD
User removed

why?!?

Postby thisissami » 22 Feb 2007, 13:42

just like the people before me!!! perfect review, no negatives at all, no downers... where's the 10/10?!?!
thisissami 45

Postby ianf » 22 Feb 2007, 17:37

No game is ever going to be perfect, although it's strange the reviewer hasn't put any downers whatsoever :?
Get a job you love, and you'll never have to work a day in your life.
ianf 48

Postby micka » 22 Feb 2007, 20:09

Anyone know a good ps2 emulator for pc. Id love to buy this game but would be devastated to have to buy another ps2 to play it :?
micka 52

Steam: obiangello

Postby Zigzagoon » 22 Feb 2007, 21:56

I am eventually hoping to get a PS2 for this game.

I doubt this is the best in the series, have PSW ever played FF7?
"What's so great about Newton? 'E discovered gravity an' that but it wasn't like we were floatin' about or anythin'" - Karl Pilkington
Zigzagoon 65

Xbox Live: Osafune2
PSN ID: Osafune2

Postby android-sheep » 22 Feb 2007, 22:24

I've said it before, and i'll say it again, a company like square-enix is big enough to bring the game out worldwide, without a year between the Japan release and europe release, especially with the budget the game had. I am not willing to put up with this anymore, no game is THAT essential.
android-sheep 56

Postby blynk » 22 Feb 2007, 23:19

micka wrote:Anyone know a good ps2 emulator for pc. Id love to buy this game but would be devastated to have to buy another ps2 to play it :?

why would you get rid of a PS2 when games like FFXII, Okami, Shadow of the Collosus, GTA:Stories, God Hand were all coming out 2006/7? More fool you i say.

Would still like to know the reason for 9/10 for this apparantly perfect game.
blynk 26

Postby micka » 23 Feb 2007, 00:33

blynk wrote:
micka wrote:Anyone know a good ps2 emulator for pc. Id love to buy this game but would be devastated to have to buy another ps2 to play it :?

why would you get rid of a PS2 when games like FFXII, Okami, Shadow of the Collosus, GTA:Stories, God Hand were all coming out 2006/7? More fool you i say.

Would still like to know the reason for 9/10 for this apparantly perfect game.

Cause my ps2 stopped workin one day!
micka 52

Steam: obiangello

Next