to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Ubisoft sues over Assassin's Creed leak

Your comments on our articles.

Over a pirate version hitting the web six weeks early

Ubisoft is suing North Carolina-based Optical Experts Manufacturing, the company that it contracted to reproduce copies of Assassin's Creed for PC, for copyright infringement, breach of contract and negligence, after one of the company's employees allegedly posted a pirated copy of the game on the Internet six weeks before its release.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Ubisoft sues over Assassin's Creed leak

Postby Jellybeans » 07 Aug 2008, 12:13

maybe this is what remendy have been doing instead of making mother fudgeing Alan Wake
Jellybeans 47

Postby nologo » 07 Aug 2008, 12:30

so funny if this alan wake is total crap...every comment is about alan wake these days...
psn: zell71
wow server: Vashj-EU
Jetsetwilly Gnome Warrior
nologo 47

Postby level_up » 07 Aug 2008, 12:33

What the hell is this talking about Alan Wake? It's not relevant at all to this thread and you've been doing it in every one Jellybeans.
level_up 60

Postby pipboy78 » 07 Aug 2008, 12:44

Not sure I buy what they say about the bug in the release they gave to them... but go Ubisoft!

Surely it can't be hard to trace back to where the leak comes from. IMO more distributors/game companies should be doing this more.
pipboy78 31

Postby lmimmfn » 07 Aug 2008, 13:09

lmao, theyre claiming that because of the entering Jerusalem bug in the pirated version caused harm to the companies reputation, haha, that takes the biscuit, they should just say "If youre gonna make a pirate version at least do it right and make us look good"
I HATE fanboys, fanboy - "Fanboys are noted for a very emotional attachment to their chosen subject, often taking negative remarks about it as a personal attack."
lmimmfn 61

Postby vulcanraven01 » 07 Aug 2008, 13:20

Thing is, how many of those 700,000 would have actually bought the game?
This is what annoys me when it comes to companies talking about pirated stuff. Just because that many downloaded the game for free doesn't mean they would have been willing to actually buy the game, so they can't claim they lost a certain amount.
As for the bug, wtf, so they wanted the guy to pirate a non-buggy version?
vulcanraven01 59

Postby justforkicks101 » 07 Aug 2008, 13:47

i wish i had downloaded it.
justforkicks101 65

Xbox Live: jfk101
PSN ID: jfk101
Steam: jfk101
xFire: justforkicks101

Postby almanac2015 » 07 Aug 2008, 13:59

vulcanraven01 wrote:Thing is, how many of those 700,000 would have actually bought the game?
This is what annoys me when it comes to companies talking about pirated stuff. Just because that many downloaded the game for free doesn't mean they would have been willing to actually buy the game, so they can't claim they lost a certain amount.

The point is the people downloaded and played the game, regardless of whether they would buy it otherwise. Youpay for the game-you pay to play it. And 700 000 people played it for free. People worked on this game-people needing money...
I hate that excuse...
PSN: threepy
almanac2015 61

PSN ID: threepy

Postby shimrod » 07 Aug 2008, 15:12

I hate that excuse too.

Piracy is bad news, it's good news when a company can do something about it.

Still hate SecuRom though...
shimrod 30

Postby spacelion » 07 Aug 2008, 16:49

level_up wrote:What the hell is this talking about Alan Wake? It's not relevant at all to this thread and you've been doing it in every one Jellybeans.

not sure why, but I found this hilarious :lol: :lol: :lol:
braving the universe
spacelion 36

Postby spam23 » 07 Aug 2008, 16:53

You know what - I'll admit it. I downloaded it illegally before the game was released. Guess what? It didn't work. You can only get so far on the cracked version (Jerusalem) before it just crashes.

I might have bought the game had I not downloaded it, but after playing upto a certain point I really started to enjoy it.

I've since bought Assassins Creed. So there we go, Ubisoft actually made money off me due to it being pirated.

While I'm confessing, I DL'd Crysis too. Have since bought Crysis. Good games deserve our cash.

Alan Wake Jellybeans.
If you feel affected by any of the issues raised in the above post please contact GFWL and tell them they suck.
Joined CVG 16th Feb 2001
spam23 51

Xbox Live: Xen Withanex
PSN ID: luttman23
Steam: luttman23

Postby spank36 » 08 Aug 2008, 00:53

ppl will always find a way to pirate games, even halflife 2 was pirated at my college back in the day. I bought assassins creed just the other day on sale, maybe if i didn't have to pay $99aud to get it in australia i would have bought it on release...
spank36 33

Postby lmimmfn » 08 Aug 2008, 02:31

it could sell well if the game was ACTUALLY GOOD!!!!!!!!!

besides, Ubisoft as a publisher for Pc, produce the worst games or ports ever, rehashed unoptimised junk( although great initially for DX10.1 cards ) and no support thereafter

Id never buy a ubisoft product on console or PC because of my experiences with them, im hoping HAWX will be $hit so i dont have to buy any of their products soon
I HATE fanboys, fanboy - "Fanboys are noted for a very emotional attachment to their chosen subject, often taking negative remarks about it as a personal attack."
lmimmfn 61

Postby dogsolitude_uk » 09 Aug 2008, 09:48

almanac2015 wrote:
vulcanraven01 wrote:Thing is, how many of those 700,000 would have actually bought the game?

The point is the people downloaded and played the game, regardless of whether they would buy it otherwise. Youpay for the game-you pay to play it. And 700 000 people played it for free. People worked on this game-people needing money...
I hate that excuse...

But it's a pertinent one. Supposing they wouldn't have bought it. Had anything gone missing from the Ubisoft offices? Was downloading a game depriving Game et al of stock?

Piracy is not right, but it's subtly different to theft of, say, a PS3.

Piracy is a market force (it falls under the 'substitutes' part of Porter's Five Forces) and is something that companies have to take steps around in order to minimise the impact it has on their sales.

However to suggest that each pirated copy of game translates to precisely one lost sale is oversimplistic and lazy at best. It's something that's trotted out by games companies in order to excuse invasive DRM schemes and limited activations.

Ubisoft is therefore quite right to pursue court action (don't worry Jellybeans, I doubt the lawyers involved in the case would have been involved in the coding or graphics for Alan Wake), however in the long term the industry has to ensure that they're actually bother to make it worthwhile for consumers to actually pay for the product.

Online/limited activations will always be cracked and serve only to kill the second-hand games market (another Substitute being quietly targeted by games companies), and so I believe that the best way round this is to include decent, well-produced documentation, maps, posters etc and really enhance the experience of buying the game.

At the moment we shell out £30 for a DVD in an empty box (and in many cases limited installations); how many people think taht they may as well get a cracked game for nothing with no DRM limits?
Write to your MP! | NO2ID and Liberty - for Freedom and Privacy!
dogsolitude_uk 44