to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

FlatOut Ultimate Carnage

Your comments on our articles.

Jamie Sefton crashes and burns - not for the first time...

We'll forgive the creators of this game for bringing this to PC nine months after releasing it on console, because this smash-'em-up racer is enormous amounts of fun. FlatOut Ultimate Carnage continues the series' unpretentious arcade racing and has you competing against 11 other drivers in urban and countryside environments so hillbilly, you half expect Boss Hogg to go "Kyuk kyuk" and chase you, while playing a banjo.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

FlatOut Ultimate Carnage

Postby badgerpog » 01 Aug 2008, 11:27

But, the big burning question that everybody seems to ignore. Is it too similar to Flatout 2 to bother with.

I loved Flatout 2. I'd love some more Flatout 2, but this looks the same... Is there much difference?
badgerpog 61

PSN ID: badgerpog
Steam: badgerpog

FlatOut Ultimate Carnage

Postby lmimmfn » 01 Aug 2008, 11:28

Whats with the reviews? DMC4 is slated because reviewer is using a generic joypad as opposed to a 360 controller, and this gets a high score and no mention that those who already own Flatout 2 shouldnt bother as its prcatically the same game polished up
I HATE fanboys, fanboy - "Fanboys are noted for a very emotional attachment to their chosen subject, often taking negative remarks about it as a personal attack."
lmimmfn 61

Postby User removed » 01 Aug 2008, 13:09

Flatout games are very underrated. Flatout 2 is the best one and is known by three names:

Flatout 2 (PS2)
Flatout Ultimate Carnage (360/PC)
Flatour Head On (PSP)

All three are basically the same game but with different graphical touches. I would reccomend any of those versions to people who love over-the-top arcade racing with plenty of destruction.
User removed

Re: FlatOut Ultimate Carnage

Postby badgerpog » 01 Aug 2008, 13:48

lmimmfn wrote:Whats with the reviews? DMC4 is slated because reviewer is using a generic joypad as opposed to a 360 controller, and this gets a high score and no mention that those who already own Flatout 2 shouldnt bother as its prcatically the same game polished up

PCZone gave Devil May Cry a much higher score, somewhere in te 80's (I can't remember exactly)
badgerpog 61

PSN ID: badgerpog
Steam: badgerpog

Re: FlatOut Ultimate Carnage

Postby lmimmfn » 01 Aug 2008, 23:11

badgerpog wrote:
lmimmfn wrote:Whats with the reviews? DMC4 is slated because reviewer is using a generic joypad as opposed to a 360 controller, and this gets a high score and no mention that those who already own Flatout 2 shouldnt bother as its prcatically the same game polished up

PCZone gave Devil May Cry a much higher score, somewhere in te 80's (I can't remember exactly)

The PCGamer reviews of both games are a disgrace, its obvious that the reviewer of DMC4 never played a DMC game in his life, not to mention that its a "Games for Windows" game and thus the recommended controller is the 360 one. Ive not read a review on another site that gave DMC4 less than 75 or 7.5. DMC is DMC whether on PC or console shouldnt matter, but slating it because it doesnt support the GameStop X745930 pro controller out of the box is just stupid, and this Flatout 2.5 doesnt mention its just Flatout 2, grrrrr
I HATE fanboys, fanboy - "Fanboys are noted for a very emotional attachment to their chosen subject, often taking negative remarks about it as a personal attack."
lmimmfn 61

Postby Eclipse Dj » 02 Aug 2008, 08:32

evilfoxhound wrote:Flatout games are very underrated. Flatout 2 is the best one and is known by three names:

Flatout 2 (PS2)
Flatout Ultimate Carnage (360/PC)
Flatour Head On (PSP)

All three are basically the same game but with different graphical touches. I would reccomend any of those versions to people who love over-the-top arcade racing with plenty of destruction.

I agree, I have it on 360 and it's a great game online and offline. Way better than both the next gen Burnout games IMO, the Derby's and Stunts also give it variety over other racers and work well online too. You can pick it up dirt cheap too... it's just a shame there aren't more people online with it.
Eclipse Dj 49

Postby the688 » 20 Aug 2008, 15:11

What the!? This is EXACTLY the same game as Flatout 2 on the PC. I own Flatout 2 on PC, and messed about with this one on a friends PC - and it's all the same events on the same tracks!!

The 3 demolition derbys are exactly the same, all the stunt events are exactly the same (save for some minor graphics reworking that makes it look more console'ish but less sharp). The menus are different too, and so is the music. Other than that - it's exactly the same game!? How can this not be reflected in a review-score? "People liked our racing game a lot, so we repainted the cars, and put a less pretty background on the main menu, and we're selling it again.."
the688 34

Postby Trite » 02 Sep 2008, 05:50

the688 wrote:What the!? This is EXACTLY the same game as Flatout 2 on the PC.

Aye, it was a major disappointment. My friends and I liked to play FlatOut 2 in LAN and were eagerly awaiting for a new game. It certainly wasn't anything new. All the same stuff, maybe polished a little, but that just meant a crapload more screen lag for my poor old GPU. Even the menus were far worse, it was just like freshly ripped of consoles. It even had the console pad buttons for menus (A, B).

Horrible, Bugbear, horrible. I'm a Finn, and usually try to find some good things about the very few Finnish games there are, but that was really awful.
Trite 24