to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Unreal Tournament III

Your comments on our articles.

A lesson in arena warfare...

With Call of Duty 4 largely humiliating Halo in the Xbox Live popularity contest, and Frontlines (if it hasn't surrendered already) imminently preparing to hoist the white flag in preparation for Battlefield: Bad Company, you can't help but feel Unreal Tournament 3 has arrived late to a party already at full capacity. And yet... when something turns up in this kind of shape, it's always going to be welcome.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Unreal Tournament III

Postby bleachxfan911 » 03 Jul 2008, 16:38

Why not just wait till' you can play it on Xbox Live to review? If you can't review all the features of a game don't review it, it's that simple.
bleachxfan911 25

Unreal Tournament III

Postby Zonf » 03 Jul 2008, 16:42

Is there a co-op mode for the 'campaign' and if so, can you co-op over live?
GT: Zonf86
Zonf 50

Xbox Live: Zonf86
PSN ID: Zonf86
Steam: Zonf86

Postby StonecoldMC » 03 Jul 2008, 16:48

Completed the SP campaign of Battlefield at the beginning of the week and am now focussed on MP, which I am really enjoying. Would I be able to fit another shooter in their though?

Well, if its made by Epic and anything like the previous UT games, then count me in.

Looking forward to the splitscreen mode, havent done that with a new game in a long, long time.
StonecoldMC 79
Global Moderator

Postby Mogs » 03 Jul 2008, 16:50

Pretty merciful review considering this is the most handicapped version of the game thanks to M$'s draconian policies.
I've got spurs that jingle jangle jingle...
Mogs 60

Postby SAeN » 03 Jul 2008, 16:59

This wont sell well for 2 reasons,

:arrow: no mouse and keyboard support-this is one of the fastest games out there and cant be done well with just a gamepad.
:arrow: It came out around 6 months ago on other platforms- everyone already has it...

I still prefer the original UT, vehicles just ruined it somewhat and a lack of assault mode this time around ticked me off to no end...

Oh, and no Skaarj or Xan Kriegor :evil:
!!SCOTLAND!!
Admit nothing, deny everything, and make counter-accusations!!

Shut up about Alan wake!
------
xfire: thievingpigeon
Gamertag: thieving pigeon
Steam: SAeNLESS
WoW: Server: Steamwheedle Cartel- Name: Hedyt
SAeN 54

Postby English Shmuppet » 03 Jul 2008, 17:06

SAeN wrote:this is one of the fastest games out there and cant be done well with just a gamepad.

Well...the large majority of reviews I've read praise the control system - not just mention it as being ok. They actually say it translates very well to a pad.

So there, you jealous pc nerd. :D
On best behaviour...
English Shmuppet 51

Postby Rob S London » 03 Jul 2008, 17:06

Most importantly is it better than the PS3 version, which I had and it seriously sucked balls (mainly due to lack of rumble & incohesion of PSN)
XBL - Rob S London
PSN Batteredsausage
Rob S London 48

Xbox Live: Rob S London
PSN ID: batteredsausage

Postby English Shmuppet » 03 Jul 2008, 17:11

Rob S London wrote:Most importantly is it better than the PS3 version, which I had and it seriously sucked balls (mainly due to lack of rumble & incohesion of PSN)

Oh, it's you again. What the hell does the "incohesion of PSN" mean?

I'd say it's you that seems to be incohesive and sucking balls!
On best behaviour...
English Shmuppet 51

Postby DAEDALUS79 » 03 Jul 2008, 17:21

Didnt even realise it had been released.
TheLastDodo - "EU PS Store: Lowering........scratch that, Burying the bar since 2007"
DAEDALUS79 72

Xbox Live: scyzer500
PSN ID: macby19

Postby Suivaloom » 03 Jul 2008, 19:04

Rob S London wrote:Most importantly is it better than the PS3 version, which I had and it seriously sucked balls (mainly due to lack of rumble & incohesion of PSN)

If you are gonna buy it for console, buy it on the PS3, as you can access all the community mods & extras that are available for the PC version.

You can't do this on 360 version.
Suivaloom 41

Postby romeolovesyou » 03 Jul 2008, 19:41

360 is definitely the way to go. Downloaded endless mods on PS3 and the vast majority are pish. With Epic having promised to port over the best user created content at regular intervals as free DLC on 360, that is infinitely preferable to the way the PS3 handles mods, and should ensure people can find games on the extra maps without any hassle, and will also give the authors a lot more publicity for their work
romeolovesyou 47

Postby Mogs » 03 Jul 2008, 21:48

Nope, PC version is way to go. Failing that, PS3 version. Should only consider the 360 version as an act of desperation if you don't have the cash to entertain an alternative to the 360.
I've got spurs that jingle jangle jingle...
Mogs 60

Postby Mappman » 04 Jul 2008, 09:56

Well I'm really looking forward to this, as I haven't played a UT game since I had it on Dreamcast! I did get Unreal Championship on XBox and to be honest it was a bit... um... crap.

Only have a 360, so this is version I have to buy. Wish I had a decent enough PC though, that'd definitely be the way to play it. As for PS3, I think the Sixaxis/Dualshock style pad is very out-dated and not too good for FPS games; they haven't really improved on it much (apart from wireless) since PS1, so its not surprising.
Mappman 45

Postby SAeN » 04 Jul 2008, 15:22

English Shmuppet wrote:
SAeN wrote:this is one of the fastest games out there and cant be done well with just a gamepad.

Well...the large majority of reviews I've read praise the control system - not just mention it as being ok. They actually say it translates very well to a pad.

So there, you jealous pc nerd. :D

lol, Why would I be jealous when I already have it on pc?? :P

slower paced games work well with a gamepad(rainbow 6, call of duty)and thats why console fps are great but unreal has always been about lightning fast games that require the reflexes of a cat on catnip just to stand a chance.
Oh, and I know i'm a nerd :wink:
!!SCOTLAND!!
Admit nothing, deny everything, and make counter-accusations!!

Shut up about Alan wake!
------
xfire: thievingpigeon
Gamertag: thieving pigeon
Steam: SAeNLESS
WoW: Server: Steamwheedle Cartel- Name: Hedyt
SAeN 54

Postby funkyjack » 04 Jul 2008, 18:33

Got this on my PC, I can't imagine trying to play it with a joypad *shivers*
He who nades, always wins...
funkyjack 60

Xbox Live: Chimera Six