to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Peter Moore comes clean on EA Sports PC

Your comments on our articles.

Label boss addresses the "core issues" preventing EA Sports games appearing on mouse and keyboard

EA Sports boss Peter Moore has addressed the "core issues" preventing franchise entries such as Madden and Tiger Woods PGA Tour appearing on PC this year.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Peter Moore comes clean on EA Sports PC

Postby Dajmin » 03 Jul 2008, 15:50

What a fantastic quote. Let's paraphrase now.

"We don't care what PC gamers want. Our shareholders want quick easy income and we care more about adding to our huge pile of coffers than we do about any potential customers." Way to totally alienate your audience. I see a market for Konami and 2K Sports. Get in there!

And he complains that he gets compared to the Devil? Nah, at least the Devil cares enough to try and ATTRACT people to his cause.
Xfire | Xbox Live | PSN: Dajmin
Albany Down - New album Not Over Yet available now!
Dajmin 63

Xbox Live: Dajmin
PSN ID: Dajmin
Steam: Dajmin
xFire: Dajmin

Postby johnman » 03 Jul 2008, 15:59

"We are not making games in garages or bedrooms any more."

He has a point there, their games really have declined in quality.
johnman 38

Postby vulcanraven01 » 03 Jul 2008, 16:04

I seriously don't see what the fuss is.
These guys are out to make a profit like any business and obviously they feel they can't make a worthwhile profit by releasing PC versions of it's full sports range of games.
Like he stated, sports games tend to be bought by the casual's in the masses and the casual's play their games on consoles. That's where the profits are at so that's where EA will be at, simple as.
vulcanraven01 58

Postby DAEDALUS79 » 03 Jul 2008, 16:31

Piracy will kill pc gaming if it isnt stopped soon, companies wont build where there is no profit to be made.
TheLastDodo - "EU PS Store: Lowering........scratch that, Burying the bar since 2007"
DAEDALUS79 72

Xbox Live: scyzer500
PSN ID: macby19

Postby snips10 » 03 Jul 2008, 16:39

I sorta understand what the guy's saying but can understand how PC Gamers are feeling left out (oh, reminds me the next issue's out today :D )

Over the last 5/6 years I've bought assorted versions of FIFA and Pro Evo on the PC and (mostly) loved them all. Only recently have I purchased a 360 and have been playing Pro Evo on it. My opinion is that it is far more enjoyable playing these games in the living room, spralled out on the sofa rather, with or without mates, than being sat at my desk in a monitor. I'm sure that a lot of people who have done the same agree and in general, this represents a far greater audience than the PC market. EA, as much bent of world domination as they are, like any sensible business recognises this fact and are targetting their product accordingly.
snips10 48

Postby csdaveuk » 03 Jul 2008, 16:47

So we mock EA for releasing similar titles every year and now we deride them for NOT releasing said titles?

I'm fairly sure that many people, including those who write for a well known PC magazine, have suggested that maybe EA should release fewer, better games. :)
That's you, that is.
csdaveuk 64

Xbox Live: csdaveuk
Steam: Giant Haystacks
Battle.net: csdaveuk
xFire: csdaveuk

Postby Dajmin » 03 Jul 2008, 16:58

It's true, they shouldn't release the same game every year, but I've no problem with them releasing yearly games if there's actually a noticeable difference beyond player names.

And there's no reason not to release them on the PC as well. It's not like it's going to delay their income all that much to port the 360 version across. It's not like anybody really bothers with enabling mouse features anyway.
Xfire | Xbox Live | PSN: Dajmin
Albany Down - New album Not Over Yet available now!
Dajmin 63

Xbox Live: Dajmin
PSN ID: Dajmin
Steam: Dajmin
xFire: Dajmin

Postby Barca Azul » 03 Jul 2008, 16:59

Hey Peter, as far as I am concerned, you don’t need to release them on the Console either, including FIFA !!

Maybe, you should also have an obligation of quality to your paying customers of something worth the money they shell out as well, instead of your obligation to your shareholders, it’s the players that pay your wages, not the shareholders!!
Barca Azul 59

Postby ParmaViolet » 03 Jul 2008, 17:20

$$johnman$$ wrote:
"We are not making games in garages or bedrooms any more."

He has a point there, their games really have declined in quality.

:lol:
ParmaViolet 66

Postby Barca Azul » 03 Jul 2008, 17:40

EA, the McDonalds of the games Industry!!

Large Corporate more interested in units sold than the satisfaction of the customer. The Food seems appealing, quick and value for money, the reality is that you wonder if you should have waited and got something more substantial and healthy.

Generally, it leaves you feeling unfulfilled and hungry within a few hours !!

FIFA = Filet o Fish, some love it, others wouldn’t touch it with a barge pole !!
Barca Azul 59

Postby LkS » 03 Jul 2008, 18:27

It isn't right that for nearly 20 years people have been buying these games on the PC (helping EA grow into the rich, indifferent corporation it is today) and they just turn their back on these customers and leave them out. EA and Microsoft are ruining the gaming industry.

The problem of piracy on PC is a good point but successful methods of almost eliminating piracy have been demonstrated. Listen carefully publishers: STEAM! STEAM! STEAM!

I hated it at first but it has become quite a good service now and who in this day and age plays games and does not have internet access?

Please use Steam or create your own system now and end piracy before there are no PC games left.
LkS 31

Postby dogsolitude_uk » 03 Jul 2008, 21:26

DAEDALUS79 wrote:Piracy will kill pc gaming if it isnt stopped soon, companies wont build where there is no profit to be made.

...And the piracy issue won't be helped if it's easier and more convenient to install a cracked copy for free. I wonder how many people have seen the stuff about the DRM on Bioshock, Mass Effect and Alone in the Dark, thought 'sod this' and sought out a warez version?

This is just an excuse for EA to limit installations, utilise Securom DRM and generally kill off the second-hand market whilst effectively renting PC games out and rendering people unable to resell or lend their games to anyone else.

If piracy killed of games markets then it would have been dead in the water back in 1987 when we were at school distributing C90 tapes of Spectrum games willy nilly.

The 'piracy is killing games' mantra is trotted out by companies like EA who want to secure their hold on the market further in the same way that the 'Terrorists want to kill our way of life' is trotted out by a government wanting to restrict our freedoms further.

Constantly repeating something doesn't make it any more true. It won't kill the games industry, and I'd really like to see some figures quoted on this, together with the basis for their calculations.

Sure, it'll make a dent, but it won't kill it.
Write to your MP! | NO2ID and Liberty - for Freedom and Privacy!
dogsolitude_uk 44

Postby Apoca1yps0 » 03 Jul 2008, 23:37

I'm sorry but the whole piracy because of DRM argument is specious at best, you can see the consequences of piracy and yet still argue that you're disadvantaged by a company attempting to secure it's property against thieves.

You don't go stealing CD's or whatever just because there's CCTV or security tags? The principle is the same.

You make something and somebody takes it without paying; that's theft pure and simple.

However I do appreciate the desire to lend a game to someone or be able to sell/trade it after you've completed it.

The problem we're going to see more of is companies that take the hit from piracy are going to pull back and move on to a different platform, the only people that lose ultimately will be us PC gamers.

EA and their ilk will continue to make money with or without us.

EA leaving the PC "arena" sets a worrying precedent that may cause other devs to follow.

Hopefully though some forward thinking people will fill the hole they create.

I just can't see it quite yet until they get their business model sorted first.
Apoca1yps0 26

Postby funke_munke » 04 Jul 2008, 00:17

snips10 wrote:
Over the last 5/6 years I've bought assorted versions of FIFA and Pro Evo on the PC and (mostly) loved them all. Only recently have I purchased a 360 and have been playing Pro Evo on it. My opinion is that it is far more enjoyable playing these games in the living room, spralled out on the sofa rather, with or without mates, than being sat at my desk in a monitor.

Xbox 360 Pad + My PC with Pro Evo = me playing on my bed!

Bed > Sofa!!!

I do get what you mean though.
funke_munke 38

Postby The_Johnson » 04 Jul 2008, 09:22

Well, whether you agree with him or not, you have to give him kudos for coming out and saying it, in no uncertain terms.

At least he hasn't done a Sony (and yes, I own a PS3) and made some excuse up (DualShock being 'last gen' and backwards compatibility being removed to focus on PS3 games).

fair play, I say.
RT @Serafinowicz "Regretting using Tetris bricks to build my house. The kitchen's just disappeared."
-----------------------------------
PSN: The_Johnson_UK
The_Johnson 43

Next