to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Castlevania: Order of Ecclesias

Your comments on our articles.

Lots at stake for Dracula and pal

Poor old Dracula, Konami just won't let him sleep. Twenty-six times they've resurrected his corpse only to kick his arse straight back into the coffin.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Castlevania: Order of Ecclesias

Postby THX-1138 4EB » 01 Jul 2008, 16:16

Love the series, will be picking this up.
"You guys think think you're above the law, well you ain't above mine"

Risky
THX-1138 4EB 76

Postby d574xm » 01 Jul 2008, 20:35

Nice alarmist comment about the level structure. They've done the huge castle thing to death. It looks like you even used a screen from the PSP remake of Dracula X, so I'm surprised that you didn't think of the potential for branching levels as in that title, which is regarded as one of the best Castlevania games.

I love Castlevania, but the large castles grate very quickly, especially if you put the game down for a while and forget the structure... they need to be played through in fairly quick time.
d574xm 45

Postby LeonKILLER7 » 02 Jul 2008, 01:45

i love the castlevania games but i prefer the ones where you use the whip rather than spells or magic, dracula x on psp is heavy its a good challenge to beat
In The Name Of Harman... (KILLER7)
Currently Playing:

360 = Alan Wake\Fallout 3
WII = New Super Mario\No more heroes 2
PS3 = Yakuza 3
Dreamcast = Shenmue 2
LeonKILLER7 44

Postby MatthewONM » 02 Jul 2008, 09:28

d574xm wrote:Nice alarmist comment about the level structure. They've done the huge castle thing to death.

Did you play Portrait of Ruin? It's not the removal of the castle that upset us, but the bland linearity of each external stage. Yeah, forests, beaches, Victorian towns and pyramids make for pleasant level textures, but what fun is there when each is a dull strip of land? Pounding through bad guys is just one part of Castlevania, spatial exploration is equally important.
MatthewONM 63

Postby MeatGolem » 02 Jul 2008, 13:53

I played PoR once through, put it in its box and never looked back. Go check out the GBA castlevanias, you had a proper sprawling castle to explore. None of this rubbish with portals to other worlds, it was a proper exploration of CASTLEvania, with the ballroom, sewers, towers, clocktower, kitchens, dungeons, etc.
I kill 2 dwarves in the morning,
I kill 2 dwarves at night,
I kill 2 dwarves in the evening,
and then I feel alright.
MeatGolem 32

Postby d574xm » 02 Jul 2008, 21:38

Matthew wrote:
d574xm wrote:Nice alarmist comment about the level structure. They've done the huge castle thing to death.

Did you play Portrait of Ruin? It's not the removal of the castle that upset us, but the bland linearity of each external stage. Yeah, forests, beaches, Victorian towns and pyramids make for pleasant level textures, but what fun is there when each is a dull strip of land? Pounding through bad guys is just one part of Castlevania, spatial exploration is equally important.

Yes, I played it. I thought it wasn't great but then I though the large castle format was getting really tired by the time it moved onto DS. While Symphony of the Night was great, it seemed like Konami was content to roll out a template over and over.

I can well understand apprehension at using the hub area and random settings scenario again. If it wasn't to your taste in the previous game, I'd expect it to turn you off. But they've done the large castle thing what... five times, already? Has it ever been quite as successful as in SotN?

They did the same sort of thing with the N64 and PS2 games, which had little variation from one game to the next, although I suppose the second N64 game was more of a special edition than an entirely new game.

That's why I didn't mind PoR. At least it was a change from the same old formula.

Why not the best of both worlds? Multiple characters with completely different routes to the castle across the surrounding countryside, then the same castle but with the puzzles approached differently. That would at least add some replayability, if not alleviating the tedious trudging back and forth altogether.

Castlevania has way too much of that. It's been present in the 2D Metroid games for a long time as well, but the characters and settings there are stronger and more distinct from game to game, so it's not quite as noticeable.
d574xm 45

Postby johnway » 02 Jul 2008, 22:41

Linear levels do depress me sometimes, brings too many painful memories of certain platformers. But that said, breaking the castle down into various areas doesn't hurt. Provided they were quite explorable and not some generic slog through some dull cave or muddy environment. No, i want epic tombs, catacombs, crypts, massive villiages with side quests, shops exporation etc. I like the metriodlike level design namely theres continuinty unlike linear platformers back in the old days where forward was the only direction, can't go back to older levels etc. I like the exploroation factor of it all.

The potential of making the game into a very epic RPG is certainly there. Lets hope they do implement something big. How about scenario stuff? Like as already mentioned before, alternate entry routes, puzzles, endings maybe a different stlye fighter altogether. A homage to metriod with a complete gunslinger with metriod like skills (Pushing my luck maybe...).

Concerning POR tbh i enjoyed the portraits mainly they were varied and i was more bothered about the killing. It kept me reasonably entertained, somewhere i could concentrate fighting rather then go exploring, no that was the main castles role. They could have expanded the idea though, going back to classic levels of castlevania or giving us more pictures rather then repeating the first 4 again.

POR excellent game regardless.
www.geocities.com/johnway_l - My sketch book drawings.

"The price of freedom is vigilance"

steam id: Johnway
johnway 57