Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War

Your comments on our articles.

Review: Hardcore warfare from the get-go

FORMERLY THE PRESERVE of feverish enthusiasts huddled around tables comparing leadfigure painting techniques, the brutal futuristic world of Warhammer 40K was brought to the masses by 2004's excellent Dawn Of War.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War

Postby Dajmin » 20 Nov 2006, 09:21

I have loved DoW since the original and think that it's well worth looking into for any RTS fan.

Just a couple of things the review doesn't go into enough:

1. As well as being an expansion, this is also a standalone game. You don't need the original game (or Winter Assault expansion) to play the single player. All races are available to play the campaign.
However, without them you can only play online as the two new races.

2. Unlike most other RTS games, you cannot win a game by just building up your forces inside your base. Trying to "turtle" (as it's called) will get you wiped out by someone real fast. That's the joy of DoW - you must constantly push forward if you want to have any chance of winning.
Not so much an issue against the low level AI, but harder AI and online you will get crushed.

And since the original game and Winter Assault can now be picked up really cheap as a bundle from most game stores, it's well worth picking up.

Oh yes, and everyone knows Gamespy is evil :)
Dajmin 63

Xbox Live: Dajmin
PSN ID: Dajmin
Steam: Dajmin
xFire: Dajmin

Postby DarthMorbus » 20 Nov 2006, 13:18

She opened the pit, Nicolan, and now He counts all the nights of your life on the fingers of dead whores.
DarthMorbus 79

Frustrating

Postby Kheld » 16 Dec 2006, 19:23

Ive loved the DoW series, but this one nearly had me lobbing my 32" monitor out of the window.

Normal difficulty is damn hard, and Easy difficulty can be well, easy or a bit of a handfull.

Some of the conquest maps get a bit stale when you have to repeat defend them 3 times in a row, and the new race balance seems out of skew.

And I hate Necrons.
Kheld 18