to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Epic addresses Gears Of War bugs

Your comments on our articles.

Patch in the pipeline to make Gears work better online

It might not be out yet in the UK - and rumours of Tesco selling it early aren't true - but Epic is already working on a patch for the mighty Gears Of War.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Epic addresses Gears Of War bugs

Postby Doctor_Hades » 14 Nov 2006, 15:55

ShopTo sent out UK copies of Gears of War yesterday and their customers are now playing the game today. Sadly no-one else seems willing to break the release date so I'll have to wait until Thursday to get my copy from Gameplay.com.

As for Gears of War being patched... well, what a surprise! Fancy that, an Xbox 360 game requiring a patch so soon after launch. Who'd have thought, eh? :wink:
Doctor_Hades 37

Postby CVG Gav » 14 Nov 2006, 16:08

Tesco are getting their delivery later in the week so they can't break the date, we're told.
CVG Gav 63

Re: Epic addresses Gears Of War bugs

Postby bazzatuk » 14 Nov 2006, 17:05

Doctor_Hades wrote:As for Gears of War being patched... well, what a surprise! Fancy that, an Xbox 360 game requiring a patch so soon after launch. Who'd have thought, eh? :wink:

Its the trend of things to come whatever the console I'm afraid.
bazzatuk 58

Postby Doctor_Hades » 14 Nov 2006, 17:06

Gameplay.com are also sending out copies of the game today and tomorrow according to various people I've spoken with. So much for Emergence Day being the 17th... I think everyone who wants the game will have it a day or so before then! :lol:
Doctor_Hades 37

Postby bazzatuk » 14 Nov 2006, 18:01

It would seem that Play are showing mine as shipped so I should have it by Thursday seeing as it takes 2 days from Jersey... which is fantastic as I have a week off work.

:D
bazzatuk 58

Postby sinister_m1 » 14 Nov 2006, 20:02

Patches so soon for such a big release can't be a good indication of things to come. Whatever happened to proper games testing?
sinister_m1 46

Postby ptechg » 14 Nov 2006, 21:59

Patches already? Oh dear...
ptechg 34

Xbox Live: blackvv

Postby User removed » 15 Nov 2006, 00:05

Are the patches coming out just to fix connectivity issues or are they also fixing the online multiplayer exploits that have been popping up? Specifically in the Execution game mode. I'm from the US and after playing all weekend it seems that a lot of people are experiencing the same problems with people cheating through shoddy online options.
I was reading the Joystiq article on the problems and to me it would seem that this would be the most pressing issue at the moment and should take precedence over anything else, seeing as though it ruins the game for so many other people.

This is the article:
multiplayer exploits
User removed

Postby Asaron » 15 Nov 2006, 11:08

Got my copy :D
From Shopto, 35quid.

Now i just need to get home from work to play it
Asaron 51

Postby ramsingh1 » 15 Nov 2006, 13:18

CVG Gav wrote:Tesco are getting their delivery later in the week so they can't break the date, we're told.

So Tescos normally break the date? Dam! Must start doing my gaming shopping there!
ramsingh1 48

Postby spooney100 » 15 Nov 2006, 14:37

I can't see a problem with online play (yes I have a copy) the only problem I see in the online multiplayer games is the 7th or 8th person to enter the room occasionally has communication problems (voice breaking up), but the movement and connection seems fine other then that. Its very fluid and smooth.
spooney100 57

Xbox Live: SHINE100
PSN ID: SHINE100

Postby Asaron » 15 Nov 2006, 23:33

Excellent game (as if you needed my to say so).
The controls can take a short time to adjust to, and even then they can be frustrating.

As for bugs, on one section I saw the AI jumping over objects that weren't there. Other than that the AI generally makes me feel like quite the llama, cos they are less predictable than I am :roll:
Asaron 51

Patching is for loosers

Postby User removed » 16 Nov 2006, 09:58

There. Patching is for LOOSERS. I've had it with crap debugging and rushed dates. If a game isn't ready, DON'T RELEASE IT. On PCs it can be more or less understandable that there might be some problems that due to the miriad of possible configurations could be overlooked. On a closed system like a console, it's simply stupid, careless or rushed. Possibly a combination of all.

So what happens if you don't own a Premium System? Can't play the damn game?

Again, patching is for LOOSERS.
User removed

patching is for LOSERS....??

Postby srlite » 16 Nov 2006, 20:04

then I guess you just called every person buying a PS3 is a LOSER, as over 200 PS 1 and 2 games won't work on the new $600 + console, new owners will have to patch, and Sony is working hard on that patch as we speak... Although I do not necessarily disagree with your contention that a closed system game should be near flawless at launch - just a symptom of the 360 companies feeling the competetive heat from Sony and Nintendo... competition - Good! - except for the occasional patch...
srlite 5

Re: patching is for LOSERS....??

Postby User removed » 17 Nov 2006, 00:29

srlite wrote:then I guess you just called every person buying a PS3 is a LOSER, as over 200 PS 1 and 2 games won't work on the new $600 + console, new owners will have to patch, and Sony is working hard on that patch as we speak... Although I do not necessarily disagree with your contention that a closed system game should be near flawless at launch - just a symptom of the 360 companies feeling the competetive heat from Sony and Nintendo... competition - Good! - except for the occasional patch...

Sony will release a firmware update in order to make up for shoddy PS1 and PS2 emulation. What you fail to realize is that these problems can be overcome BEFORE they reach customers with enough QA, time and money. The way things move these days, a game will be released, and then if sales merit it, a patch will be made available at some stage. That, in my book, is robbery. There's also the fact that most games will be played through only a couple of times at most. So your first run, which might possibly be the last one, might be spoiled with bugs. That's not competition. It's robbery. It's a management issue most of the time and it can and should be avoided. Did you ever have to patch HALO for your XBOX? Didn't think so. Mario 64? Mario Kart? Those games too were launched in the midst of fierce competition.

And LOOSERS are those who release a game with some obvious need for a patch, not the poor souls who buy a game, only to have to download a patch just to get their money's worth, srlite. Reading won't hurt you one bit.
User removed

Next