to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

UTIII dated on 360... in the US

Your comments on our articles.

We're still waiting...

It was just yesterday that we had our most recent rant about the ongoing lack of a release date for Unreal Tournament III on 360, but Midway has finally named a day - for the US.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

UTIII dated on 360... in the US

Postby dweebosh » 12 Jun 2008, 10:30

Are Epic trying to fail with UT3? This game has sold like warm vomit on the other platforms so far, and you'd have thought that launching a successful shooter on the 360 takes a little more efort than Epic seem to be putting in.

I'll most likely be playing Bad Company multiplayer over this. Both look likely to have average to poor single player games, but Bad Company looks like offering more online.

COD4 format FTW
dweebosh 42

Postby MightyMoose » 12 Jun 2008, 10:41

If the UK release of the 360 version is anything like the PS3 version it won't be here until November. In my opinion i don't think it is worth the worry, i got bored of it in about a week.
PSN: MightyMoose
Dell XPS M1730: 8800M GTX x2 SLi, Core 2 Extreme X9000 2.8GHz, 4GB RAM
MightyMoose 33

Postby dodgy1 » 12 Jun 2008, 10:55

Europeans play second fiddle to the US. Again!
dodgy1 43

Postby hollywood111 » 12 Jun 2008, 10:59

Yer with Battlefield Bad Company & Quake wars is anyone in the slightest bit interested in UT3?.. if i was Epic, i'd concentrate all man power on GOW2!! UT is an old hat PC game, that needs to be laid to rest..IMO.
hollywood111 49

Postby wildhook2 » 12 Jun 2008, 11:08

Got bored of PS3 version, don't think I'm getting Xbox 360 version - Too late Epic!
wildhook2 54

Postby Mogs » 12 Jun 2008, 12:03

There's not enough meh in the universe for this, the latest & weakest version of the game. Good old control freaks MS have assured its doom.
I've got spurs that jingle jangle jingle...
Mogs 60

Postby User removed » 12 Jun 2008, 12:18

The big question is did they manage to find a way of allowing user content/Maps/mods like the PC and PS3 versions or are they just hopping nobody draws attention to the fact it's missing?

Somehow I suspect the second option. If it's in I'd proberly get it as it would be fun to create some maps and play some friends on them. Not to mention a nice flow of user maps to stop people getting bored. Otherwise it's just another fps
User removed

Postby dweebosh » 12 Jun 2008, 12:51

Mogs wrote:There's not enough meh in the universe for this, the latest & weakest version of the game. Good old control freaks MS have assured its doom.

There's certainly an element of that, but the big delay is because UT3 was originally a PS3-exclusive title, so Epic have been dragging their heels to keep sony happy.

It's never been a problem to get downloadable maps and edited arenas etc. over XboxLive (Halo 3 anyone?) so I doubt it's as much of a problem as Epic are making out. A bit less freedom? Certainly. But not a bar to a sensible release window.
dweebosh 42

Postby nologo » 12 Jun 2008, 13:05

dweebosh wrote:
Mogs wrote:There's not enough meh in the universe for this, the latest & weakest version of the game. Good old control freaks MS have assured its doom.

There's certainly an element of that, but the big delay is because UT3 was originally a PS3-exclusive title, so Epic have been dragging their heels to keep sony happy.

It's never been a problem to get downloadable maps and edited arenas etc. over XboxLive (Halo 3 anyone?) so I doubt it's as much of a problem as Epic are making out. A bit less freedom? Certainly. But not a bar to a sensible release window.

are you born stupid?UT mods arnt just a new map here and there...mods are full redesigns..like CS was to HL1
psn: zell71
wow server: Vashj-EU
Jetsetwilly Gnome Warrior
nologo 47

Postby dweebosh » 12 Jun 2008, 13:43

nologo wrote:are you born stupid?UT mods arnt just a new map here and there...mods are full redesigns..like CS was to HL1

Yeah, and there's just NO WAY they could possible be distributed as downloads, is there?

Seriously, what's your point? And why try to be offensive straight off the bat when this is just a casual discussion? Topic too close to your heart or something?
dweebosh 42

Postby User removed » 12 Jun 2008, 14:15

dweebosh wrote:
nologo wrote:are you born stupid?UT mods arnt just a new map here and there...mods are full redesigns..like CS was to HL1

Yeah, and there's just NO WAY they could possible be distributed as downloads, is there?

Seriously, what's your point? And why try to be offensive straight off the bat when this is just a casual discussion? Topic too close to your heart or something?

I think the problem wasn't a technical one but the fact that Live is a 'Closed' service and Microsoft wanted to police all content on on and to be fair they do have a point. You can pretty much guarantee some idiot will make a map of a giant dick or write F*** in twenty meter high letters within five minutes of it being released which you can't really have with kids about.

I was hoping Microsoft would come to a compromise. Maybe maps could have gone through a review by epic first or user maps are pin locked with the parental contols or even the Live account could be terminated if people abused the it.

Who knows at this point, maybe they did reach a compromise. I'm not holding my breath though :wink:
User removed

Postby MightyMoose » 13 Jun 2008, 09:55

lazzarus wrote:You can pretty much guarantee some idiot will make a map of a giant dick or write F*** in twenty meter high letters within five minutes of it being released which you can't really have with kids about.

The game is an 18 certificate, so it should not matter what the "kids" think about it, as they should not be playing it.
PSN: MightyMoose
Dell XPS M1730: 8800M GTX x2 SLi, Core 2 Extreme X9000 2.8GHz, 4GB RAM
MightyMoose 33