Molyneux talks B&W2, Movies disappointment

Your comments on our articles.

"I'm going to remain really disappointed that we had to release some of those titles," Lionhead boss tells CVG

Peter Molyneux has revealed his disappointment over having to rush acclaimed PC sim The Movies and god game Black & White 2 to retail, in an exclusive interview with CVG to be published soon.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Molyneux talks B&W2, Movies disappointment

Postby Dogen_D_Derrible » 01 Nov 2006, 21:00

I think those are all fair comments from Mr M. It will be interesting to see how future Lionhead game development pans out under the MS banner.
"From this day on, I'd have to fight these forces of darkness... and deal with the burden of day-to-day admin."
Dogen_D_Derrible 67

Re: Molyneux talks B&W2, Movies disappointment

Postby myoldfruity » 01 Nov 2006, 21:19

Dogen_D_Derrible wrote:I think those are all fair comments from Mr M. It will be interesting to see how future Lionhead game development pans out under the MS banner.

:)
Xbox Live (360) Gamertag: SafeN8dog

-----------------------------------

Like a train through a pigeon.
myoldfruity 53

wii

Postby solarandlunar » 02 Nov 2006, 01:26

molyneux seems like the right kinda guy to be working on a wii game...
solarandlunar 10

Postby DarthMorbus » 02 Nov 2006, 01:51

He never will though. Not unless he leaves Lionhead.
She opened the pit, Nicolan, and now He counts all the nights of your life on the fingers of dead whores.
DarthMorbus 79

Postby Al3x » 02 Nov 2006, 09:38

He doesn't sound like the right kind anyway... all of his past games have been overhyped titles that end up with half the promised features and not really special in any way. He certainly was happy about the games when they were released even though he now says they weren't so good :roll:
Al3x 44

Postby maugrim2712 » 02 Nov 2006, 10:07

I thought the movies was a fantasic game, although he's right about the difficulty as the learning curve was very sharp. I still hope to see a Movies 2, with better features and a better learning curve (AND more staff, that's the problem i always had).
Gamertag: ciaran2712
maugrim2712 63

Postby Mr_A_Hulse » 02 Nov 2006, 10:09

Of course he was, his livelihood depended on it. I thinks it’s a bold move to admit your past games haven’t met your personal expectation. Or a clever move directed by Microsoft to help cover up past disappointments and over hyped let downs.
Mr_A_Hulse 63

PSN ID: NotoriousA_N_T
Wii Code: Wii U NotoriousANT

Postby cjw101 » 02 Nov 2006, 10:09

Al3x wrote:He doesn't sound like the right kind anyway... all of his past games have been overhyped titles that end up with half the promised features and not really special in any way. He certainly was happy about the games when they were released even though he now says they weren't so good :roll:

You can't say things like that at the time though, can you? Would you buy a newly-released game if the developer came out and said that it was alright but they weren't really happy with it and it didn't really do what they'd planned?
XBL GamerTag: LotusCrispy

Selling my PSP
cjw101 72

Postby Thaxus » 02 Nov 2006, 10:10

Al3x wrote:He doesn't sound like the right kind anyway... all of his past games have been overhyped titles that end up with half the promised features and not really special in any way. He certainly was happy about the games when they were released even though he now says they weren't so good :roll:

My thoughts exactly. In my opinion, ever since he founded Lionhead Studios, his games haven't reached the excellence of his previous titles like Syndicate, Populous, Dungeon Keeper etc.

But I don't think it's legitimate for him to say that the titles had to be rushed to market. I think Lionhead has plenty of cash reserves to delay a game by a few months to finetune it, so why don't they simply do that? An even higher scoring game will only help improve sales of that game in my opinion.

Some gamers aren't happy with Blizzard's or Epic's stance on only releasing a game "when it's finished" and when it meets their high quality standard, but a company like Lionhead would certainly benefit by also adopting this stance.
Thaxus 47

Postby falloutwarchief » 02 Nov 2006, 10:30

maugrim2712 wrote:I thought the movies was a fantasic game, although he's right about the difficulty as the learning curve was very sharp.

The learning curve was indeed sharp, so sharp in fact that I didn't learn it.
I bought the game after reading good reviews, looking for something a bit different...
Played it for about half an hour, and haven't touched it since. Couldn't make any sense of it.

Maybe I should take the plunge and actually read a game manual for once...
falloutwarchief 58

Postby Dogen_D_Derrible » 02 Nov 2006, 10:53

Al3x wrote:... all of his past games have been overhyped titles that end up with half the promised features and not really special in any way...

I couldn't disagree more. The first Black & White was an amazing achievement and is still one of the most breathtakingly imaginative games I've played, and IMO The Movies and Fable weren't that thin on ideas either (although clearly many gamers, and now it seems Molyneux himself, would have liked to have seen more).

The comment I nearly put into my first post - but will now because things have moved that way - was that if you look at the differences between B&W and B&W2 there is a huge amount more polish in the sequel, but a huge loss in the depth of 'throw away fun' features that made the original so unique! If shipping an A1 perfectly balanced game means that Lionhead looses some of its past daring and trademark inventiveness-for-inventiveness'-sake, then I for one will be quite disappointed.

That is why I'll be interested to see how things shape up now they are part of the Microsoft fold.
"From this day on, I'd have to fight these forces of darkness... and deal with the burden of day-to-day admin."
Dogen_D_Derrible 67

Postby Aircool_212 » 04 Nov 2006, 13:09

I think they'll fare better than they did with EA. I think MS have softened in recent years in contrast to EA. Hopefully MS will do the decent thing and let the games grow.

Mind you, Pete's best games were back in the days when it wasn't hard nor expensive to make the games look good, the creativity could then be put into the gameplay [now add aircool rant 001 on gameplay over GFX].

I'm actually pretty confident about the next iteration of windows. Cynical marketing ploy aside (like the six versions etc..), but the PC needs a kick up the backside as a gaming platform. 10 years ago, PC games dominated the shelves in shops, heh, although that might me because they all came in big boxes, heheh

Aircool
Aircool_212 50

Postby Whiteball » 06 Nov 2006, 23:43

At the end of the day, hindsight is wonderful and we would all do/have done things differently to what we did at the time, game developers included :D

I mean, when you have been at something for a long time it can be tweaked and then tweaked some more to a point where you are unsure about anything as it loses its appeal or first 'hook' that it once had.

What started out as an initial 'excellent' idea, if you keep going, inevitably ends up being something not so good because your ideas run away with you and what seemed like improvements at the time become rushed and 'tacked on' bits that dont fit/work as well as intended.

The initial idea which was well thought through and implemented over a long period is more times than not the one to stick with.

All in my opinion of course... :lol:
Whiteball 52