to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Battlefield 2142

Your comments on our articles.

Is this really the best Battlefield yet? DICE's vision of futuristic warfare dissected in our definitive review

Having poured recent waking hour into Battlefield 2142 (and some hours in which I was only partially conscious), I can safely say that while it's not an enormous leap for the series, this futuristic sequel is by no means a standalone mod.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Battlefield 2142

Postby Aircool_212 » 19 Oct 2006, 18:00

May I suggest a re-assessment of this game in light of recent events. I fear that your review copy does not reflect the product available on the shelves and currently being sold on e-bay in large numbers...

Aircool
Aircool_212 50

Postby User removed » 20 Oct 2006, 06:18

So far I've really enjoyed playing BF2142 for the past couple of days. The only complaint I have is the server instability and how I can't ever join a server on the first try. I just think that this was something that definitely would have come up during playtesting. Two days and I'm already up to 87 dogtags.
User removed

Postby ptechg » 21 Oct 2006, 15:03

Sounds pretty decent, I take it they ironed out the bug with the console damage in the Titan. I'm keen to play a new game with mechs in, though calling them Walkers after the crisps is a pretty decent idea.
ptechg 34

Xbox Live: blackvv

Postby Aircool_212 » 23 Oct 2006, 00:45

I suggest you ignore this review, which, for some reason is not a review of BF 2142. Take a look at the forums for the game (which are now US only forums, sorry, I mean english speaking forums for the US & UK) and read the list of complaints and bugs. Ok, there are positive comments too, but it has it's problems.

For example, enormous lag when the titans move near each other. Don't worry though, EA released a fix for this problem.....ready???

Don't move the titans near each other...

WTF....what kind of support of fix is that?

I'll tell you what, the kind of support and fixes that BF2 has been subjected to and exactly what you'll get for BF2124.

If you're not quite sure what BF2142 is, it's a ham fisted and cynical program that pretends to be a game (compared to BF2, it's only half a game) but is just a testbed for EA's advertising schemes.

IGA are responsible for the advertising and are worming their way into our hobby.

Check out the link

http://www.ingameadvertising.com/

to IGA's website and read their opening page. Do you really want people who have that sort of attitude having influence over your gaming and using your net connection (which you pay for) to collect non gaming information?

The demo was average at best and worth playing if you think you might like the game. However, the full game (snooping issues aside) isn't worth the asking price; new maps, new game mode, new skins and the usual innefective weapons. If it wasn't a standalone game, it would be an average mod. Other games have had just as much content released for free, and that's without advertising.

Still, find out for yourself and ignore the review, it's not the game that you will buy.

Aircool
Aircool_212 50

Postby desmasic » 25 Oct 2006, 19:49

Aircool_212 wrote:For example, enormous lag when the titans move near each other. Don't worry though, EA released a fix for this problem.....ready???

Don't move the titans near each other...

WTF....what kind of support of fix is that?

ROFL!

Sorry, but after playing the crap BF2 was, I am not even going to bother with the expansion. I am saving my money for Quake Wars instead.
desmasic 17

battlefield 2142

Postby Jack Barnett » 04 Dec 2006, 19:28

I like the idea of a shooter based on the future. i'm getting bored of all the wwII shooters that are coming out. we now have call of duty 1,2 and 3, all of the many medal of honour games and the brothers in arms aswel
Jack Barnett 3

Postby Jade_Falcon » 14 Dec 2006, 22:15

I take great issue with this piece of rubbish that EA have released. I spend more time having disconnects in the middle of a game (thereby losing career points) than I do actually playing the game.

Oh, and STILL EA refuse to address the issue of the stupid bunny hoppers that can ruin a game.

Titan mode is unplayable, often crashing, Conquest isn't a lot better.

I can't even take this game back to GAME as all they will do is change it for another copy, saying if their seal has been broken I can't have a refund or change for another product. Which brings up the question, how do you know a game is going to work okay until the seal is broken????

EA are no better, the best they will do is replace it with something from their catalogue. As I have no real urge to play any version of the Sims, and I don't like sports games, I see nothing in their catalogue I want, they are now apparently washing their hands of the whole affair. I am left with an expensive coaster. This POS is more unstable than BF2 at patch 1.3 levels.
Jade_Falcon 4