to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Haze

Your comments on our articles.

The sad truth behind PS3's most hyped shooter

After over a year of hype, speculation and delay, Ubisoft's Haze breaks cover - and despite being developed by Free Radical, the team behind the excellent TimeSplitters 2 on PS2 - it fails to better UT3, Resistance and CoD4. Haze looks poor, lacks set-pieces and feels like a novel idea that missed its window of opportunity, frayed by the requests of nervous Brand Managers and cruel demands of next-gen development.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Haze

Postby berelain » 21 May 2008, 18:13

pretty much what i expected from playing the Demo, actualy. It just feels like a fairly average shooter. Nothing more, nothing less.

But you guys need to work on your proofreading. The buttons come out in the article as 'p' and 'e' for instance. Which buttons on the PS3 pad are those, then?
The X Button - Press X to play http://www.thexbutton.co.uk
berelain 41

Haze

Postby andyandzoe » 21 May 2008, 18:16

thats a damn shame,was really hoping that this was gonna be a classic FPS,ah well will forget about this then for now and wait a few months till its under £20 on e bay and get it then,and spend even more time playing MGS 4 when its realeased in a few weeks time.
hell yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
andyandzoe 41

Postby DaRockwilder1 » 21 May 2008, 18:33

Just one go on the demo confirmed how pants this is. Tis a pity though, I was really looking forward to the game.
Gaming since 1985
DaRockwilder1 65

Xbox Live: DaRockwilder1
PSN ID: DaRockwilder1

Postby roland82 » 21 May 2008, 19:12

a pretty harsh review, even though the site is plastered in haze advertising.

at least some places still have some integrity.

to be honest i lost intrest when i heard it wasnt gonna be on the 360. i think any game released this close to gta will struggle though.
roland82 56

Postby chris_ace » 21 May 2008, 19:18

much better review than the over the top ign review which rated it lower than the likes of blacksite and turok.
chris_ace 40

Postby User removed » 21 May 2008, 19:30

Guess those extra 6 months wasn't worth it then. Oh well. At least there's still Timesplitters 4 to look forward to. Oh yes. Put TS2 on XBLA/PSN as well please.
User removed

Postby timestops » 21 May 2008, 19:37

7.1 isnt too bad, im still tempted to have a go of it.
timestops 36

Postby quain-chi » 21 May 2008, 20:11

I'm surprised it got 7.1 for such a negative review.
quain-chi 57

Postby sonic_uk » 21 May 2008, 21:55

Don't get me wrong, the game isn't without its faults but I still really enjoyed the demo and am not bothered in the slightest about the negative reviews or the views of others. The core rule here is simple - if you don't like it don't buy it.

Personally and this is just an opinion, I don't see whats so good about Timesplitters. I thourght the game was pretty abysmal to be honest and hated pretty much everything about it from the visual style to the story, pathectic weak weapons and the half arsed sound effects - in particular the enemy in-game speech. I wouldn't recommend that game to my worst enemy, and if I truley believed what I've read that "Haze is a worse game than Timesplitters" I would avoid it like the plague, but as I said thats my opinion.

I'm still getting Haze despite the negative views. I'm normally a good judge wheather I'm going to like a game or not, and I have been looking forward to Haze for over two years. I will concede the demo did have quite a few low detailed textures and models but I've always been more bothered about gameplay than graphics. I still enjoyed what I played, and thourght it was good fun. At the end of the day all a review is is simply someones opinion, wheather you agree with that or not is up to you.
Own...Xbox360(Slim), Ps3(SuperSlim), Ps2, Ps1, PsVita, XperiaPlay, Gamecube, Snes, Dreamcast, Megadrive, MegaCd 2, Saturn, Gamegear, PC

Owned...Acorn Electron, Atari 2600, Gameboy, Master System, 32x, GBA SP, Xbox, Psp, Xbox360(Premium), Ps3(BC), Wii(BC)
sonic_uk 53

Postby sbolton666 » 22 May 2008, 00:05

roland82 wrote:a pretty harsh review, even though the site is plastered in haze advertising.

at least some places still have some integrity.

to be honest i lost intrest when i heard it wasnt gonna be on the 360. i think any game released this close to gta will struggle though.

Why would any game struggle next to GTA??just because GTA had massive hype wont make other games bad?
Playstation 3 :: This is Living... Blu-Ray #1 ;)
sbolton666 37

Postby headspin » 22 May 2008, 00:57

I got to say i was disappointed with this, I'd been looking forward to it loads and the demo just felt very average and didnt feel right, it seemed no better than Resistance which i dont think much of at all.
Looks like my next game to look forward to on my PS3 is KZ2 (Sorry guys, I find MGS games extremely boring and everytime a cutscene comes on it makes me want to stab myself in the legs with pencils), Guerrilla had better not build the hype up and let me down like Free Radical has, i was expecting this game to be awesome...
Last edited by headspin on 22 May 2008, 13:39, edited 1 time in total.
all console fanboys are c**ts, (you dicks know who you are).
headspin 50

Xbox Live: Bacon Roll
PSN ID: Bacon_Roll
Wii Code: Whoactuallyknows...
Steam: To be announced v shortly

Postby SoLiDsNaKE » 22 May 2008, 03:07

The reviews must be about the campaign mode only, cos the multiplayer looks good from waht ive seen of it. Plus the only thing that i thought was bad about the game was the graphics and the campaign seemed a bit weak. But i aint to bothered about the campaign in FPS games, im more into the online side of things, and the gameplay seemed to be pretty good, with the nectar and stuff. So if the online is good then im definately gettin it. :D
SoLiDsNaKE 40

PSN ID: jamieMGS4

Postby ig88 » 22 May 2008, 07:40

Cant say im suprised when you get a game thats been delayed you know it usually aint going to be great. All the hype in the end counted for nothing. I have a feeling that we will be saying the same thing about killzone 2 as well. Why are games devolpers having such a hard time making a decent game for the ps3? :cry:
ig88 14

Postby Vyvrtka » 22 May 2008, 07:51

Played the demo, wasn't impressed. Just another shooter. Didn't care about Haze, don't really care about Killzone2 or any other FPS. Unless it comes from Valve, looks like those guys are the only ones who are still able to make FPS game worth the money.
I pray to gods that DeusEx 3 won't disappoint. *crosses fingers*

Bought my PS3 for FFXIII and MGS4 and those 2 titles are very unlikely to disappoint. So I'm not bothered by this Haze fiasco. I pity those who pre-ordered this though. :lol:
Vyvrtka 44

Postby __SpUtNiK__ » 22 May 2008, 08:05

PSM3 Is biggest fanboy mag in the world. If they say a PS3 game with this much hype is average it means its absolutely f***ing horrible and must be avoided.

PS. I HATE the marketing spin phrase Next-gen, stop using it please as its not applicable anymore.
PSN: Klickkilla
GT: Ridep

PC:Nowt...
360:Nowt...
PS3:Final Fantasy 13
Wii:Phoenix Wright:Justice for all.
__SpUtNiK__ 60

Next