BioWare Interview

Your comments on our articles.

Interview: CEO Ray Muzyka talks Mass Effect PC

Ground-breaking cinematics, well developed characters, space travel and that controversial sex scene. What more can BioWare put in the for the PC release?... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

BioWare Interview

Postby humorguy » 12 May 2008, 13:22

Muzyka: ... Games continue to evolve over time, just as we're not making the same games now as we were 20 years ago, 15 years ago, 10 years ago. We're making new kinds of games now and that'll continue to change over time.

Me: yea, right! Like we have been getting 'new' games in the last 10-15 years... Don't think so!!!

In fact, i'd say, on PC as least, we have the fewest number of genres we have ever had in the last 20,15 or 10 years!
humorguy 47

Postby lmimmfn » 12 May 2008, 15:45

Its a shame the game is ruined by having only 3 activations in total before calling EA support and waiting 3 days for a new key. Ive cancelled my pre-order, will wait until a crack is out or they come up with something better
I HATE fanboys, fanboy - "Fanboys are noted for a very emotional attachment to their chosen subject, often taking negative remarks about it as a personal attack."
lmimmfn 61

Re: BioWare Interview

Postby User removed » 12 May 2008, 17:49

humorguy wrote:Me: yea, right! Like we have been getting 'new' games in the last 10-15 years... Don't think so!!!

You either have a wrong perception of time or you've been missing out on a lot of gaming. Doom came out in late 1993. Warcraft came out in 1994. Baldur's Gate came out in 1998. The Sims was released in 2000. World of Warcraft was released in 2004 (while not the first in the genre, it certainly made it popular).

So things certainly have changed from 20 to 15 to 10 years to now.
User removed

Postby Togra » 12 May 2008, 18:48

"Interview: CEO Ray Muzyka talks Mass Effect PC"

Not to be disrespectful or anything but for an article with a title like that there is not a lot to read about the PC side of things. :?

Things certainly have changed over the years. Not that we saw a lot of new genres but more the fact that certain game types seem to have been "dropped" without any valid reason by bigger publishers. It's all gotta be 3D, first person, real-time, multiplatform, "immersive", low-on-text or else you're not getting any serious coverage on a gamessite.

Some of that coverage is quite annoyingly handled as well, I can't imagine that a couple of years ago it was as bad as it is now. For example: GTA IV, it has been released, we know it already. As if the ads weren't enough practically every major site is keeping its GTA IV content (with, of course, longer reviews than usual) up on their respective frontpage longer than with other games (the CVG site not as much as others, it has to be said :wink: ). As if the press silently agrees that no other titles should be discussed or released in the same period as GTA IV. They're just as much responsible for making the big games/franchise bigger and making the small games/franchises smaller as publishers are. That kind of stupidity and hyping bait keeps me reluctant to take most of the games press as seriously as the general coverage of any other medium.
Togra 42

Postby humorguy » 12 May 2008, 21:37

ET3D wrote:
humorguy wrote:Me: yea, right! Like we have been getting 'new' games in the last 10-15 years... Don't think so!!!

You either have a wrong perception of time or you've been missing out on a lot of gaming. Doom came out in late 1993. Warcraft came out in 1994. Baldur's Gate came out in 1998. The Sims was released in 2000. World of Warcraft was released in 2004 (while not the first in the genre, it certainly made it popular).

So things certainly have changed from 20 to 15 to 10 years to now.

Your comment had nothing to do with what I said. We have hardly had anything 'new' in the way he talked about. We have been slowly moving to just one type of game - FPS. yes, we get the odd 'not' FPS, but when you consider we no longer get the big publishers doing flight sims, or train sims, or proper RTS's or anything step-time, or helicopter sims or race games or puzzle games (like Sentinel) or arcade game or educational games, or.... Well hopefully you understand what I am getting at now!

Yes we had change up to 1998. But nothing but less since, not more. And anything MMO is just the same game style that let's lots of people play via the internet - it's still the same as what's come before.
humorguy 47

Postby wowbagger2004 » 12 May 2008, 22:18

Not getting this game. Being treated like a thief is not what I sign up for when buying a game. Bioware and EA can go f**k themselves.
wowbagger2004 19

Postby lmimmfn » 13 May 2008, 03:52

wowbagger2004 wrote:Not getting this game. Being treated like a thief is not what I sign up for when buying a game. Bioware and EA can go f**k themselves.

agree totally
I HATE fanboys, fanboy - "Fanboys are noted for a very emotional attachment to their chosen subject, often taking negative remarks about it as a personal attack."
lmimmfn 61

Postby User removed » 13 May 2008, 08:44

humorguy wrote:We have hardly had anything 'new' in the way he talked about. We have been slowly moving to just one type of game - FPS.

Quite the contrary: in recent years we've been moving mainly towards MMO and casual, at least on the PC side. FPS's have slowly been moving toward "action RPG's".
User removed

Postby humorguy » 15 May 2008, 20:53

ET3D wrote:
humorguy wrote:We have hardly had anything 'new' in the way he talked about. We have been slowly moving to just one type of game - FPS.

Quite the contrary: in recent years we've been moving mainly towards MMO and casual, at least on the PC side. FPS's have slowly been moving toward "action RPG's".

I meant what the mainstream of PC gaming has been for 10 years or more - single player AAA PC titles with sometimes multiplayer options.

What you said agreed with me but broadened it. We have less genres but we are moving away from the mainstream one to MMO and causal because of it.
humorguy 47