to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

First Mirror's Edge footage

Your comments on our articles.

See Digital Illusions' free-running rooftop-adventure inside

Go, go vertigo - first footage from Digital Illusions' (sorry, EA DICE) rooftop-hopping Mirror's Edge is available to view in our video player.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Postby User removed » 07 May 2008, 11:42

This looks excellent, one of the most effective trailers I've seen for a very long time. Understated, indicates what the gameplay involves, and an instumental score which fits the mood perfectly. Also it's nice to see a trailer proudly stating at the start "The following is all in game footage", makes a change from the usual "representative of in game graphics" nonsense you normally see.
User removed

Postby hollywood111 » 07 May 2008, 11:46

......Looks incredible WOW!... & that was in game?, my only problem is will it be a game that runs on rails & holds your hand too much?, but f**k that, i gotta watch that again, amazing trailer... :shock:
hollywood111 50

Postby MrXBob » 07 May 2008, 11:51

Looks like fun for 10 minutes. Unless they can come up with some incredible storyline (doubtful) that hooks you in with plot twists (doubtful) and intense chases (doubtful) then it'll wear thin pretty quickly.

*All doubtful's brought to you by Electronic Arts.

Right now it just looks like 'run here using one button to do everything, have a canned-animation fight with a guy to steal his gun, shoot a bit then run again'. And I can believe that the whole game is like that.
Last edited by MrXBob on 07 May 2008, 11:52, edited 1 time in total.
MrXBob 40

Postby jmaddison » 07 May 2008, 11:52

For people complaining that originality on the PS3 and 360 pales in comparison to the Wii.......think again.

This game feels like a revolution and will most certainly set a new benchmark for FPS games, just like 'Half-Life' did.

This trailer has literally blown me away and i hope it gets the hype it deserves.
jmaddison 44

Postby MrXBob » 07 May 2008, 11:54

jmaddison wrote:This game feels like a revolution and will most certainly set a new benchmark for FPS games, just like 'Half-Life' did.

This trailer has literally blown me away and i hope it gets the hype it deserves.

..... You run and jump a lot. Wheres the revolution? This is Crackdown minus the 3rd person view and the real freedom. With all the red bits to tell you where to go, this looks very linear.
MrXBob 40

Postby JimSteele » 07 May 2008, 12:02

MrXBob wrote:Right now it just looks like 'run here using one button to do everything, have a canned-animation fight with a guy to steal his gun, shoot a bit then run again'. And I can believe that the whole game is like that.

Wow. I'm quite impressed that you've managed to figure out the control system based on 30 seconds of hud-less footage.
JimSteele 43

Postby ParmaViolet » 07 May 2008, 12:05

MrXBob wrote:
jmaddison wrote:This game feels like a revolution and will most certainly set a new benchmark for FPS games, just like 'Half-Life' did.

..... You run and jump a lot. Wheres the revolution? This is Crackdown minus the 3rd person view and the real freedom. With all the red bits to tell you where to go, this looks very linear.

Yeah - as great as it looks, that would be my concern as well. I read that the red parts tend to blend in and almost disappear at later stages, so it should become a little more open nearer the end.

Definitely worth keeping an eye on - but, I'd need to read a review before parting with my cash.

:)
ParmaViolet 66

Postby Petebrolly » 07 May 2008, 12:11

Very impressed with this!

I know this type of viewpoint is nothing new (Breakdown etc) but this really looks like it will add a great deal of immersion to the game. The climbing walls and jumping looks amazing.

Nice soundtrack too.
Petebrolly 51

Postby MrXBob » 07 May 2008, 12:12

JimSteele wrote:
MrXBob wrote:Right now it just looks like 'run here using one button to do everything, have a canned-animation fight with a guy to steal his gun, shoot a bit then run again'. And I can believe that the whole game is like that.

Wow. I'm quite impressed that you've managed to figure out the control system based on 30 seconds of hud-less footage.

It's very obvious if you've played games like this before. Assassin's creed is the easiest comparison. You have a jump button and a grab button, basically. The rest is mostly automatic. Do you really think you'll have a lot of control over all the things you saw in the video? If you do, you're going to be disappointed.

edit: Also, since they have said it's all based on momentum, it's clear the controls are going to have to be as simple as possible. Nothing loses momentum more than having to remember to hit loads of buttons.
Last edited by MrXBob on 07 May 2008, 12:15, edited 1 time in total.
MrXBob 40

Postby Zonf » 07 May 2008, 12:14

Looks cracking, but I think I'd feel a bit sick after playing this for 20 minutes.

From both vertigo and camera movements!
GT: Zonf86
Zonf 50

Xbox Live: Zonf86
PSN ID: Zonf86
Steam: Zonf86

Postby JimSteele » 07 May 2008, 12:17

@ MrXBob

I'm saying we don't know. I've completed Assassin's Creed, so don't presume to educate me. This isn't Assassin's Creed. It's a different game with different goals made by different people. They might go the other way and make it too complicated for all you know. Either way it's impossible to tell from this video.
JimSteele 43

Postby MrXBob » 07 May 2008, 12:24

JimSteele wrote:@ MrXBob

I'm saying we don't know. I've completed Assassin's Creed, so don't presume to educate me. This isn't Assassin's Creed. It's a different game with different goals made by different people. They might go the other way and make it too complicated for all you know. Either way it's impossible to tell from this video.

I wasnt trying to educate you..? Quit being so defensive. It's very possible to tell from this video that the controls are not complex in the slightest. Everything is too quick and smooth. There's no point arguing this as we wont see until the game is out, but personally I think it's pretty obvious how the controls work. EA arent the type for originality - even the SKATE controls (analogue motions) had been done in other games before. I'm not expecting them to have some highly complicated movement system, not when everything they do is dumbed-down.
MrXBob 40

Postby JimSteele » 07 May 2008, 12:27

MrXBob wrote:I wasnt trying to educate you..? Quit being so defensive.

Not being defensive. You were being presumptuous.

It's very possible to tell from this video that the controls are not complex in the slightest. Everything is too quick and smooth. There's no point arguing this as we wont see until the game is out, but personally I think it's pretty obvious how the controls work. EA arent the type for originality - even the SKATE controls (analogue motions) had been done in other games before. I'm not expecting them to have some highly complicated movement system, not when everything they do is dumbed-down.

We'll agree to disagree of course but I think your logic is something of a house of cards regarding this game.
JimSteele 43

Postby MrXBob » 07 May 2008, 12:35

JimSteele wrote:We'll agree to disagree of course but I think your logic is something of a house of cards regarding this game.

Why is that? It's quite simple:

Games like this have all used similar control schemes.

EA arent known for originality.

Put those two things together and it's more than obvious.
MrXBob 40

Postby hollywood111 » 07 May 2008, 12:38

MrXBob wrote:
JimSteele wrote:We'll agree to disagree of course but I think your logic is something of a house of cards regarding this game.

Why is that? It's quite simple:

Games like this have all used similar control schemes.

EA arent known for originality.

Put those two things together and it's more than obvious.

EA are just the distributor this is a DICE game!... stop being so pig headed & you might learn or enjoy! something.
hollywood111 50

Next