to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Chains of Olympus dev backing PS3 over 360

Your comments on our articles.

Says that PS3 will be the victor in current console race, surprise, surprise

God of War: Chains of Olympus studio head Didier Malenfant tells Next-Gen that PlayStation 3 is likely to be the victor in the current console race, but says the next hardware cycle could be much more interesting.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Postby leprechaun75 » 14 Mar 2008, 17:29

the atrrival of the new slimline ps3 and the fact that PSN is free, will make all the difference over the next few years, microsoft may have got in earlier, but the failure of the hdvd format and the fact you had to buy one separately has killed their chances off IMO.. and with littlebigplanet and other ps3 exclusives and ps home on the horizon, the future certainly looks bright for the george foreman lean grilling machine lookalike
leprechaun75 41

Postby Weezer » 14 Mar 2008, 17:33

What does 'win this generation' actually mean? Most consoles sold? Biggest profits? Most games sold?

I think all three companies are doing pretty well. I have all three consoles, so it's a dead-heat in my household (although Xbox gets the lion's share of the action at the moment).
Weezer 42

Postby headmate » 14 Mar 2008, 17:38

who cares!!
headmate 51

Postby roger4000 » 14 Mar 2008, 17:47

running for cover...........
Better a bad day on the snow than a good day in the office.
roger4000 54

Re: Chains of Olympus dev backing PS3 over 360

Postby matthew_m_g » 14 Mar 2008, 18:00

leprechaun75 wrote:the atrrival of the new slimline ps3 and the fact that PSN is free, will make all the difference over the next few years, microsoft may have got in earlier, but the failure of the hdvd format and the fact you had to buy one separately has killed their chances off IMO.. and with littlebigplanet and other ps3 exclusives and ps home on the horizon, the future certainly looks bright for the george foreman lean grilling machine lookalike

Problem is that PSN is crap at best and the PS3 exclusives really pale in contrast to what the 360 has on the horizon. :roll:
matthew_m_g 29

Postby vulcanraven01 » 14 Mar 2008, 18:03

Weezer wrote:What does 'win this generation' actually mean? Most consoles sold? Biggest profits? Most games sold?

I think all three companies are doing pretty well. I have all three consoles, so it's a dead-heat in my household (although Xbox gets the lion's share of the action at the moment).

I guess it means the most consoles sold so they can start the willy waving, ala Nintendo with Wii...
For me, the winner will be the console that can combine console sales with software. Atm that's 360.
vulcanraven01 58

Postby NG_21 » 14 Mar 2008, 18:17

matthew_m_g wrote:
leprechaun75 wrote:the atrrival of the new slimline ps3 and the fact that PSN is free, will make all the difference over the next few years, microsoft may have got in earlier, but the failure of the hdvd format and the fact you had to buy one separately has killed their chances off IMO.. and with littlebigplanet and other ps3 exclusives and ps home on the horizon, the future certainly looks bright for the george foreman lean grilling machine lookalike

Problem is that PSN is crap at best and the PS3 exclusives really pale in contrast to what the 360 has on the horizon. :roll:

PSN really aint crap, the store isn't particuly great but playing online is a breeze. Also MGS 4/GT5/Little Big Planet to name a few don't look "really pale in comparison to what the 360 has onn the horizon.
Im not saying the PS3's lineup is better than the 360's but im sure that the 360's lineup doesn't wipe the floor with the Ps3's.

Weezer wrote:What does 'win this generation' actually mean? Most consoles sold? Biggest profits? Most games sold?

It means the best console, nothing do with sales or profits. Since Wii will definatly have the most consoles sold but it wont win the gaming war if no more decent games came out for it.
PSN: nathaniel_21
NG_21 54

Postby falloutwarchief » 14 Mar 2008, 18:49

Loving the avatar there roger, yourself and mfnick trying to outdo each other is it? :)

I have a theory, and let me stress, a theory - please put down the torches and pitchforks - about why PS3 will indeed win... I think maybe Sony's strategy was actually very cunning from the outset. They were total pricks about it, but I think maybe they were right all along.
By making the PS3 so powerful and having Blu-Ray built in, it almost makes the 360 look like the gateway machine to the new generation. I think people who have had the Xbox 360 for over 2 years can see that the PS3 is more powerful and offers more (hardware-wise), so it might be time for a new console. The PS3 is still new in the eyes of consumers, while they know the 360 has been out for a long time (for this business). Then throw in the fact that Blu-Ray is now the de-facto HD standard, and it adds value and makes the PS3 look even more advanced... if any of that makes sense. Personally if I was deciding on a current-gen console at this point, based on all that I'd go for the PS3. If you'd asked me a year ago, it easily would have been Xbox.

Just putting it out there as a theory, not trying to offend anyone. Bear in mind that I'm a 360 owner too, so like... I can't be a PS3 fanboy.
falloutwarchief 58

Postby BenJy » 14 Mar 2008, 19:13

I now dub this dat "Hate Xbox 360 without a good reason" day.

Anyone for some cake? amazingly it isn't a lie.
"A man chooses, a slave obeys" - Andrew Ryan.
BenJy 50

Postby bazzatuk » 14 Mar 2008, 19:21

Is this news? Developer in Sony's pocket says its only developing for a Sony console, it's like Retro saying it's only developing for the Wii..... pointless and completely expected.

As for me I already have a next gen winner. It's the 360 with ease. The online is better, the games are better and there is more choice, it's a no brainer right now. I have a PS3 for one reason at the moment, BluRay! I have two games that I got over a year ago with the PS3 and there has been nothing to interest me since. The 360 is the gamer console right now. I even have more games for my Wii right now than my PS3.

Maybe the PS3 will get stronger in the next year or so, but it's a bit late in the fight by then. MS and Nintendo may well be announcing new consoles in a couple of years and the PS3 will still be trying to get a foot hole in the gaming arena. Not good enough.

People keep saying how the PS3 is going to get better, how it will match Xbox live in the future, how the games are on the horizon. Why bother waiting for the potential of a console when you can have it right now? Or is 'Future potential amazement' listed on the box. Can't fault PS3 as a media player and BluRay player, it's great. As a games machine it just isn't close to the Wii and 360 right now.
bazzatuk 57

Xbox Live: Fur1ous Apollo
PSN ID: Apollo T4L

Postby almanac2015 » 14 Mar 2008, 19:52

matthew_m_g wrote:

I'd disagree, what does 360 have on the horizon? To me the best have been out already.

I'm not bragging about the PS3 but Final Fantasy, Metal Gear Solid, Haze, Killzone, Tekken, La Noire, Heavy Rain, God of War, Gran Turismo and to a lesser extent Ratchet and Clank and Uncharted along with Resistance 2.

To be honest the PS3 has had a weak start, but is catching up a little, and hassome great exclusives. Mass Effect 2 and Gears of War 2, Bioshock 2 i can think of for the 360. Though not owning the 360 i would be interested to find out other upcoming titles (i am being serious here too, i want to hear, not call me a fanboy...)

To me the PS3 is catching up, and with it being so early in its life cycle it couls still win. But M$ have dented the market good, so i'd agree with this guy to an extent.
PSN: threepy
almanac2015 61

PSN ID: threepy

Postby mooksam22 » 14 Mar 2008, 19:53

All this talk of "winning" and "losing" is horseshit. Why put it in terms of a "war"? No one really cares apart from the willy waving execs and the fanboys! As long as each console still gets good games that their fanbase can enjoy, does it really matter? I don't think any of the current gen consoles are suddenly going to become defunct overnight. The X360 has at least another couple years ahead of it, the PS3 will do well, and we all know about the Wii.

As a side note is Didier Malenfant a real name?
mooksam22 46

Postby DAEDALUS79 » 14 Mar 2008, 20:11

almanac2015 wrote:
matthew_m_g wrote:

I'd disagree, what does 360 have on the horizon? To me the best have been out already.

I'm not bragging about the PS3 but Final Fantasy, Metal Gear Solid, Haze, Killzone, Tekken, La Noire, Heavy Rain, God of War, Gran Turismo and to a lesser extent Ratchet and Clank and Uncharted along with Resistance 2.

To be honest the PS3 has had a weak start, but is catching up a little, and hassome great exclusives. Mass Effect 2 and Gears of War 2, Bioshock 2 i can think of for the 360. Though not owning the 360 i would be interested to find out other upcoming titles (i am being serious here too, i want to hear, not call me a fanboy...)

To me the PS3 is catching up, and with it being so early in its life cycle it couls still win. But M$ have dented the market good, so i'd agree with this guy to an extent.

To name a few...
Halo wars
Alan wake
GOW 2
Mass effect 2
Bioshock 2
Splinter cell 5
Ninja gaiden 2
Too human
GTA 4 DLC
Fable 2
Tales of Vesperia
Bajoo Threeie.
kingdom under fire: circle of doom
Ikaruga (xbla)
Several unannounced games

Both consoles have plenty of exclusives, the best ones being a completely opinion based argument. I wont be buying MGS4, HAZE, Killzone, tekken etc but that doesnt mean the ps3 is inferior, simply that i dont like these particular games.
DAEDALUS79 73

Xbox Live: scyzer500
PSN ID: macby19

Postby bazzatuk » 14 Mar 2008, 21:06

DAEDALUS79 wrote:
almanac2015 wrote:
matthew_m_g wrote:

To name a few...
Halo wars
Alan wake
GOW 2
Mass effect 2
Bioshock 2
Splinter cell 5
Ninja gaiden 2
Too human
GTA 4 DLC
Fable 2
Tales of Vesperia
Bajoo Threeie.
kingdom under fire: circle of doom
Ikaruga (xbla)
Several unannounced games

To add to that;

Left 4 Dead - Alone this game looks like it's going to be amazing.

As for all the 360 has only shooter talk... What? Besides which what is on the PS3 horizon? Lets see, Haze a shooter, Killzone a shooter, Metal Gear Solid a shooter.... lets face it, we know the truth shooters sell well and the reason there are so many of them.... because developers make money from them.

There is a lot of variety of on the 360, it's just that because shooters are sooooo popular there is bound to be more of them. So quit with the pointless argument people.
bazzatuk 57

Xbox Live: Fur1ous Apollo
PSN ID: Apollo T4L

Postby almanac2015 » 14 Mar 2008, 22:15

Thanks for that list :P And i agree with you. Being a PS3 owner i have never said i don't like the 360, i have always maintained withing a year or two i will no doubt end up with one o play a few games, and catch up on a few Xbox originals.
It is down to opinion, and not being a 360 owner, i can openly say i won't have read the amount of Game Information on 360 so know mainly of the big releases only.

Out of that list i'd no doubt look at Bioshock 2, Mass Effect 2 (maybe), Ninja Gaiden 2, Fable 2 and Banjo Threeie.
The GTA exclusive content doesn't bother me, hell the game itself doesn't.

Out of the PS3 games i mentioned i'll no doubt pick up R:FoM2, Haze, Killzone, Gran Turismo, Tekken and any upcoming Uncharted and Ratchet games. I will be avoiding Final Fantasy for a start, and will get the others when i know more information on them.
But FPs shooters seem to be everywhere now, no doubt because with the growth of online-FPS shootes generally work the best online, manual aiming so a good challenge, and generally fun.

The price of the 360 at the moment, and the money i have (before i head off for University next year) the 360 is looking tempting...
PSN: threepy
almanac2015 61

PSN ID: threepy

Next