to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Guild Wars sells millions

Your comments on our articles.

Big numbers for a game less than three years old

The Guild Wars franchise of online games has sold over five million copies across Europe, North America and Asia, publisher NCsoft has boasted.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Guild Wars sells millions

Postby fleeties » 26 Feb 2008, 19:20

Take note MMO developers, game + no subscription = WIN BIG, WINNNN BIGGG!
fleeties 47

Postby dandare69 » 26 Feb 2008, 19:54

5 million sales is great but how many accounts is that spread across? I'd be interested to know how much of that 5 million is made up of people who have all 4 of the games. I and my 10 guildies (it's a small guild!) have all four games, making a total of 44 sales, but only 11 accounts.

Anyway, In my opinion GW is in a bit of a lull at the moment, and the population is at an all time low - or maybe everyone is just hiding?!

The sooner GW2 comes out the better I reckon or ANET face losing their player base, as I know several longstanding GW players who have eloped to other MMOs over the past 6 months.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
- Albert Einstein
dandare69 49

xFire: NastyMan

GW is dead

Postby GWSucks » 26 Feb 2008, 20:18

Who cares how many copies they sell. Seriously, who still plays this game? The serious PvPers have all left and gone with a very small reminisce of seasoned players remaining, but even that is dying daily. GW is over 2-years old and no new content is expected in the immediate future. ArenaNet is doing everything they can to keep people playing until Guild Wars 2 is released, but no firm dates have been released. According to the Official ArenaNet Guild Wars Wiki (http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Upcoming ... d_features), GW2 estimated release is 2009/2010.
GWSucks 1

Postby Mogs » 26 Feb 2008, 20:22

Great news. Never played the game, but an MMO with no subscription fee doing well can only be a good thing.
I've got spurs that jingle jangle jingle...
Mogs 60

Postby Aircool_212 » 26 Feb 2008, 22:50

Who still plays GW?

Me, it's probably one of the best PC games ever. I still play one of my ten characters on and off all the time. Some of my characters are coming up to their third birthday, and I don't play PvP.

Why do I still play? Because it's one of the best PC games ever. Oh, and no monthly fee. Not that it matters as I've bought every expansion, even the skill packs just so my heroes had access to all the skills.

Quality game, and there's still plenty of players, not that it matters, I prefer to use the heroes & henchmen, they're far more reliable :lol:
Aircool_212 50

Re: GW is dead

Postby Andy_Monahan » 26 Feb 2008, 23:52

GWSucks wrote:Who cares how many copies they sell. Seriously, who still plays this game? The serious PvPers have all left and gone with a very small reminisce of seasoned players remaining, but even that is dying daily. GW is over 2-years old and no new content is expected in the immediate future. ArenaNet is doing everything they can to keep people playing until Guild Wars 2 is released, but no firm dates have been released. According to the Official ArenaNet Guild Wars Wiki (http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Upcoming ... d_features), GW2 estimated release is 2009/2010.

And going by your name we can surely expect a fair and balanced point of view, eh ?
RIP PC Zone....And now RIP XBW360.
Andy_Monahan 53

Postby Karis » 27 Feb 2008, 09:45

Sadly, this means nothing.

Because when WOW has 10 million paying subscribers, it's a message to all developers that subscription-based MMOs is still the way to go.
Karis 38

Postby berelain » 27 Feb 2008, 09:46

GW was (and still is) a good game, it offers a hell of a lot of content and you can pick up any of the titles for a good price nowadays. I bought all 4, and thoroughly enjoyed playing them. But I've not played for a long time, since getting LOTRO, in fact, since things in the GW world seem to have stagnated while they work on GW2.
The X Button - Press X to play http://www.thexbutton.co.uk
berelain 41

Postby Lightbulb » 28 Feb 2008, 23:24

But the revenue model for GW means that if it sells better than expected they make more money.

They worked out that they can make money without a sub, enough to justify 2 sequels and an expansion and now a 'proper' sequel.

I kinda wish more devs would do this but then i'd have top give my life to sub-free MMO's so maybe its a good thing!
Lightbulb 51