American McGee part two

Your comments on our articles.

The renowned designer on the anti-gaming climate in the US, why Wii is the only true next gen console and the future of gaming

You may have already read part one of our interview with renowned games designer American McGee, in which the creator of Alice, Scrapland and latterly Bad Day LA talked about amongst other things, his newest PC project, the role of humour in gaming and challenges of creating good comedy.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

American McGee part two

Postby User removed » 22 Aug 2006, 20:54

Seems like a nice guy. I share his views on that state of the industry and what needs to be done for a bright future.

Stupid name though.
User removed

Postby gothchild » 23 Aug 2006, 09:18

Interesting...

Episodic gaming does seem to be becoming more common (recently-ish I've bought SiN Emergence and HL2 Ep1) but can this work for consoles?

I could see it possibly working with a slow download on WiiConnect24 but otherwise aren't we going to have to leave our consoles online to recieve episode downloads?

I don't honestly see console gaming taking to episodic games on the shelf. The market is just too greedy. I mean look at it now, £50 for an XBox game that costs £3> materials wise and they've just added another £10 to recover from console losses.

It's just squeezing money from the consumer, and where are we meant to have all this money? Did we suddenly all win the lottery?
Everyone sucks, just don't tell them
gothchild 55

Postby DarthMorbus » 23 Aug 2006, 09:40

I don't know why people are whining so much about the increase in price of games by £10. Despite the costs of developing games having increased over the years the cost to buy the games has remained the same (decreased technically if you take inflation into count).

Added to this if you shop online you can get most 360 games for £40 or less anyway.
She opened the pit, Nicolan, and now He counts all the nights of your life on the fingers of dead whores.
DarthMorbus 79

Postby menali » 23 Aug 2006, 13:50

By his logic the PS2, XBOX and gamecube were not next gen consoles as they were just improved hardware and better graphics... Also megadrive and snes weren't next-gen to nes and master system. So has there been any next-gen machines since the nes?
menali 49

Postby Chris_Eals » 25 Aug 2006, 16:10

menali wrote:By his logic the PS2, XBOX and gamecube were not next gen consoles as they were just improved hardware and better graphics... Also megadrive and snes weren't next-gen to nes and master system. So has there been any next-gen machines since the nes?

The SNES and Mega Drive would have been 'next-gen' because they introduced things like mode 7 and a degree of 3D into games as well as having extra power to create larger and more complex games that just weren't possible on the NES and Master System.

The Playstation/N64 era brought proper 3D worlds into games and FPS games, the Playstation/Xbox/Gamecube era gave the ability to have huge interactive 3D worlds.

I think what he's getting at is that the Xbox 360 and PS3 are only doing what the PS2 and Xbox generation did but with nicer graphics, there's no other real change.

(edit: damn typos)
Chris_Eals 44

Postby User removed » 02 Sep 2006, 23:08

Personally I found it was frustrating to see a lot of pc titles scaled down in order to accomodate the limitations of the xbox and ps2 versions.
I'm glad they've moved forward in gaming power, but I won't be getting one.

I'm looking forward to the wii, a lot of us have some great memories of the n64 as a very social console but I'm a little bit worried it seems to have little more power than the Gamecube, that is a BIG risk.
Increased power dosn't just bring prettier graphics, it brings bigger levels and allows more on screen.

"the true future of gaming lies in MMOs, social gaming, mini-games, web games"

Not everyone shares that opinion, personally I'm bored sick of MMO's and crappy web games.

My personal opinion on American McGee and his games so far is he's far more interested in style and narrative than gameplay. But I will be watching him, he was involved in Doom 2 and Quake, and these games have a special place in my heart.
User removed