to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Kingdom Under Fire: Circle of Doom

Your comments on our articles.

We'd prefer the Red Ring Of Death...

Kingdom Under Fire has always been a runner-up in the world of hack-'n'-slash gaming. On the original Xbox the first KUF was an above average game, but it always played second fiddle to the Dynasty Warriors series. Now, on 360, Circle Of Doom stumbles in as a poor second to both Dynasty Warriors and the rather excellent Ninety Nine Nights.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Kingdom Under Fire: Circle of Doom

Postby ninjakoala » 02 Feb 2008, 13:44

Wow! Just Wow!

I'm pretty sure this is the single most incompetent review I have ever read.

This review is the equivalent of reviewing Phantasy Star Online and focusing on the single player mode.

The game is indeed a bore offline, but go online and it's an excellent and well-balanced dungeon crawler that's very, very fun in good company.

The SP adds an element of tactics since you have to balance your weapons' SP usage relative to your available SP - and if necessary equip charms of various kinds to balance out attack power with stamina. And hey.. there's frigging WEAPON SYNTHESIS which is a pretty big thing. It lets you adapt weapons to your liking and level.

How about weapons not being limited to levels but SP - which allows you to balance your character to your liking (offensive, defensive, trawler)?

Kingdom Under Fire isn't a *great* game, but this review is so completely and utterly useless and so far off the mark I'd be looking for a new reviewer if I were editor at C&VG. The comparisons to N3 (when exactly did that become rather excellent by the way?) and Dynasty Warriors just show how wrong the reviewer is in relation to the premise. Heck, even Diablo would be a closer fit.

The immediate titles for comparison would be Arkadian Warriors or the recent Phantasy Star games.

Well... colour me severely unimpressed.

For the dungeon crawler lovers out there: Give KUF:CoD a shot - you'll probably not spend as long as you did with PSO or Diablo, but with a couple of friends online you'll have a great time.
ninjakoala 25

Re: Kingdom Under Fire: Circle of Doom

Postby SgtDan » 02 Feb 2008, 13:57

ninjakoala wrote:This review is the equivalent of reviewing Phantasy Star Online and focusing on the single player mode.

The game is indeed a bore offline, but go online and it's an excellent and well-balanced dungeon crawler that's very, very fun in good company.

Xbox World 360 review the online section of games seperately from the offline section. This is (probably) because when they get the code there isen't anyone to play online with, and you can't review the online section of a game when you don't have anyone to play with can you?

Now, Xbox World 360/CVG, send me a copy of Condemned for sticking up for you :)
SgtDan 44

Postby DAEDALUS79 » 02 Feb 2008, 14:56

ninjakoala wrote:Wow! Just Wow!

I'm pretty sure this is the single most incompetent review I have ever read.

This review is the equivalent of reviewing Phantasy Star Online and focusing on the single player mode.

The SP adds an element of tactics since you have to balance your weapons' SP usage relative to your available SP - and if necessary equip charms of various kinds to balance out attack power with stamina. And hey.. there's frigging WEAPON SYNTHESIS which is a pretty big thing. It lets you adapt weapons to your liking and level.

How about weapons not being limited to levels but SP - which allows you to balance your character to your liking (offensive, defensive, trawler)?

Kingdom Under Fire isn't a *great* game, but this review is so completely and utterly useless and so far off the mark I'd be looking for a new reviewer if I were editor at C&VG. The comparisons to N3 (when exactly did that become rather excellent by the way?) and Dynasty Warriors just show how wrong the reviewer is in relation to the premise. Heck, even Diablo would be a closer fit.

The immediate titles for comparison would be Arkadian Warriors or the recent Phantasy Star games.

Well... colour me severely unimpressed.

For the dungeon crawler lovers out there: Give KUF:CoD a shot - you'll probably not spend as long as you did with PSO or Diablo, but with a couple of friends online you'll have a great time.

A game should only have the online included in a review if multiplayer is the main aspect, in this case its not. The online should be an extra feture, not the only worthwhile feature.
PC gamers are isolated social degenerate peados -Reegee
DAEDALUS79 74

Xbox Live: Daedy79
PSN ID: macby19

Postby squiddy » 02 Feb 2008, 15:48

Singleplayer: Play by yourself with AI.

Multiplayer: Play with other people across the globe.

Hmm, yeah... Multiplayer IMO is clearly the bigger article out of the two.

I only buy games for the multiplayer, because I don't like single player, it's boring most of the time. (Obviously there are a few exceptions)

Either way, both multiplayer and single player should be reviewed independently, as most of the better games put considerable amounts of effort in to both parts.

This review is shockingly bad, who ever wrote this needs to be fired.
squiddy 24

Postby ninjakoala » 02 Feb 2008, 16:18

DAEDALUS79 wrote:A game should only have the online included in a review if multiplayer is the main aspect, in this case its not. The online should be an extra feture, not the only worthwhile feature.

It is most definitely the main aspect. Blueside themselves have pointed out that their main focus was the four player co-op - and it shows.

You *can* play this game offline and by yourself, but you wave byebye to 95% of all the fun. Just because "Online" isn't in the title it doesn't mean it's any less of an online game than Phantasy Star Online was. The basic premise is the exact same. Offline mode is there because it might as well be. Online mode is what the game is all about.
ninjakoala 25

Postby ninjakoala » 02 Feb 2008, 16:20

SgtDan wrote:Xbox World 360 review the online section of games seperately from the offline section. This is (probably) because when they get the code there isen't anyone to play online with, and you can't review the online section of a game when you don't have anyone to play with can you?

The CVG review just came online. I have been playing this game myself for reviewing over the last couple of weeks and have had plenty of opportunity to play it online. And yes, my review is about to go live today (and no, I'm not saying where as it's not about pimping another site but pointing out a glaringly horrendous review).
ninjakoala 25

Postby SgtDan » 02 Feb 2008, 17:57

ninjakoala wrote:
SgtDan wrote:Xbox World 360 review the online section of games seperately from the offline section. This is (probably) because when they get the code there isen't anyone to play online with, and you can't review the online section of a game when you don't have anyone to play with can you?

The CVG review just came online. I have been playing this game myself for reviewing over the last couple of weeks and have had plenty of opportunity to play it online. And yes, my review is about to go live today (and no, I'm not saying where as it's not about pimping another site but pointing out a glaringly horrendous review).

This isen't CVG's review, it's Xbox World 360's. They are both part of the same company so. Look at the top right of the review.
SgtDan 44

Postby ninjakoala » 02 Feb 2008, 19:39

SgtDan wrote:This isen't CVG's review, it's Xbox World 360's. They are both part of the same company so. Look at the top right of the review.

You're perfectly right. It's just on CVG so...

At the end of the day it doesn't really matter where it's from. Just that it's an extremely shoddy review.
ninjakoala 25

Postby SgtDan » 02 Feb 2008, 19:43

ninjakoala wrote:
SgtDan wrote:This isen't CVG's review, it's Xbox World 360's. They are both part of the same company so. Look at the top right of the review.

You're perfectly right. It's just on CVG so...

At the end of the day it doesn't really matter where it's from. Just that it's an extremely shoddy review.

Fairnuf
SgtDan 44

Postby sammyone » 04 Feb 2008, 09:41

I am actually very curious to read your review of it too.

Do you use the word 'pimping' in it?

The second line makes the first line sound sarcastic...but I assure you I was not.
sammyone 34

Postby Mark240473 » 04 Feb 2008, 12:19

I don't think this game has had a good review. Still, I noticed it at number 1 in HMV 360 charts this weekend. Just goes to show that people will buy any old shite. :wink:
This post was brought to you by SarkyMarky.
Mark240473 64

Xbox Live: BobozeTheBear
PSN ID: MarkyUK