to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Eternal Sonata

Your comments on our articles.

Sweet dreams for Namco's beautiful adventure...

It's pretty difficult to empathise with a game's tragic heroine when you're too busy wishing she'd just shut the hell up. Eternal Sonata's voice work is often so dismal it's laughable - consisting of tedious drivel and wooden acting (full of... really... odd... pauses) a boatload more irritating than even Blue Dragon. If you last up until the true opening credits, some 30 minutes into the game, we'll come round your house and applaud you as you make your way down your driveway to work. Congratulations.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Eternal Sonata

Postby vulcanraven01 » 02 Oct 2007, 17:06

Really looking forward to this one after the IGN and Gamespot reviews.
Basically its a great game for newbies to the JRPG genre and for casual gamers alike. For the hardcore JRPG nut, they will be better suited to the likes of Blue Dragon.
Personally, this game will suit be down to the ground as I don't have the 100+ hours to put into the likes of Blue Dragon but I can manage 25+ hours spread over a few months. :D
vulcanraven01 59

Postby Dajmin » 02 Oct 2007, 17:17

I played both the Eternal Sonata and Blue Dragon demos and while I wasn't particularly impressed with either, it was really the combat system which grabbed me. Turn-based, sure, but the fact that your positioning is important and your set up your own combos means you can play the strategic game as well.

Hopefully the developers will do another one of these, maybe a little less linear and a bit more mature, and we'll have the 360s answer to Final Fantasy sorted.
Xfire | Xbox Live | PSN: Dajmin
DAJMIN.COM - The Rock Star Gamer
Dajmin 63

Xbox Live: Dajmin
PSN ID: Dajmin
Steam: Dajmin
xFire: Dajmin

Postby funkyjack » 02 Oct 2007, 21:11

Just where do these Japanese publishers go for their localisation? They really ought to talk to moi. :wink:

I really don't like the sound of this game though...30mins of crappy FMVs before you can actually play the game!? No thanks...that is something I just can't live with in games which is why I don't like many Japanese games.
He who nades, always wins...
funkyjack 60

Xbox Live: Chimera Six
PSN ID: D1RTYRAT
Steam: C3ll_DirtyRat

Postby vulcanraven01 » 03 Oct 2007, 02:08

funkyjack wrote:Just where do these Japanese publishers go for their localisation? They really ought to talk to moi. :wink:

Personally I'd rather listen to the original language track rather than some crappy american dub. Im just glad developers are starting to give us the option these days.
funkyjack wrote:I really don't like the sound of this game though...30mins of crappy FMVs before you can actually play the game!? No thanks...that is something I just can't live with in games which is why I don't like many Japanese games.

I was just about to say that's what all Japanese games tend to be like. MGS being a prime example... :roll:
vulcanraven01 59

Postby mfnick » 03 Oct 2007, 10:59

personaly im looking really forward to this.
Played the demo & loved the battle system. Cant wait to get my hands on it
http://www.thirdschism.com/
mfnick 69

Postby Jonathan Ross » 03 Oct 2007, 14:38

The wife was disappointed with Blue Dragon so I may pick this up for here as an xmas present. The level of difficulty sounds good too. A Japanese RPG that you can just sit back and play through at a nice pace. I'll remind her to but the Japanese dialogue on as well.
GT: Lucio Nietzsche
Gaming since 1987 ;)
Jonathan Ross 41

Postby potnoodle1 » 03 Oct 2007, 14:51

American dubbing always seems to sound pretty bad, plus they sometimes take liberties with the story in certain films/games etc to localise it for themselves. There have been a few good ones, but given the choice I'll always go for the original language.

I found Blue Dragon to be far too easy to be honest with you, but thankfully the story was enough to make me stick with it. Now that I've finished that I need another RPG to sink my teeth into and this looks like it could be it.
potnoodle1 52

Postby wudragon » 07 Oct 2007, 20:08

Looking forward to this wee gem, and thanks for the heads up on the language options cvg, but i leave the original jap voices on whenever possible anyway. :D
wudragon 50

Postby vulcanraven01 » 19 Oct 2007, 14:52

Just got my hands of this today. Sampled both languages and the english is horrid. Stick with the Japanese audio. Sadly the subtitles are dub-titles but its better than nothing.
vulcanraven01 59

Postby potnoodle1 » 19 Oct 2007, 15:12

Damn, I knew I should have cancelled my preorder once I heard about those post strikes. Was supposed to have recived it today but I may have to wait until next week now :(

vulcanraven01 wrote:Just got my hands of this today. Sampled both languages and the english is horrid. Stick with the Japanese audio. Sadly the subtitles are dub-titles but its better than nothing.

Guess I'll get to see if these last few years of Japanese study are actually paying off.
potnoodle1 52

Postby boskersrevenge » 19 Oct 2007, 15:21

Sold. Cancelled my preorder for this and Zelda... I'll be picking this up next week - loved the demo!

Incidently... my prize for a order cancellation? I'm playing Zelda, right now... at work... on a new DS Lite.

Not that I'm bragging at all. No.

*cough*
I wash born here, an I wash raished here, and dad gum it, I am gonna die here, an no sidewindin' bushwackin', hornswagglin' cracker croaker is gonna rouin me bishen cutter.
boskersrevenge 70

Xbox Live: Boskerville
PSN ID: Boskerville
Wii Code: 3DS 5455-9459-3634
Steam: Boskerville

Postby CVG Gav » 19 Oct 2007, 15:47

I bit off topic, but the new Zelda game on DS in incredible.
CVG Gav 63

Postby vulcanraven01 » 19 Oct 2007, 17:02

potnoodle1 wrote:Guess I'll get to see if these last few years of Japanese study are actually paying off.

Its not too bad. I know basic Japanese and it seems they are pretty faithful to the original script and just westernized the translation some what.
vulcanraven01 59

Postby monkey_puncher » 19 Oct 2007, 17:58

Really enjoyed the demo, art style was amazing and the battle system was really nice....though the thought of watching 30 minutes of FMV before I play the game is rather off putting

Think I'll put my purchase of this on hold until the game releases slow down, it'd just get ignored while I play Orange Box anyway.
monkey_puncher 50