to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Riddick re-chronicled

Your comments on our articles.

Re-play: (Escape) From Butcher Bay, with love

Taking the term literally, there are very few legitimate 'roleplaying' games - certainly fewer than exist within the RPG genre. How many times, for example, do you remember actually feeling at one with the character you controlled?... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Riddick re-chronicled

Postby jstar » 01 Oct 2007, 12:13

"When you wrestle a shotgun into its owner's mouth, you do so with every lunge and jerk of a real human being. People scoff when Jack Thompson calls GTA and Manhunt "murder simulators", but it's to Riddick's credit that it is, without question, a superb murderer simulator."

That is the single most irresponsible thing I have ever read you stupid f**king idiot. As if its not hard enough with the mass media and stupid politicians who have a total lack of understanding about video games now we have to deal with stupid games journalists and their moronic editors. I mean, did you pause and think even for a second before writing that? Obviously not.

I hope that no one outside the industry reads your bloody article because if they do they will jump on it like flies on s**t. You should be sacked and your stupid f**king editor should as well.

Morons.
jstar 35

Postby mfnick » 01 Oct 2007, 12:30

We'll be the death of our own pastime letting articles like that get printed.
http://www.thirdschism.com/
mfnick 69

Postby Dajmin » 01 Oct 2007, 12:49

I think it's great that you guys totally missed all the irony and sarcasm that statement was dripping with.

I think we've reached a point now where too many games are going down the same route though. First we had the "normal guy in tough situation" games, now we have "psycho goes wild" and everyone is jumping on this bandwagon.

Have we not yet reached a point where every single decision you make can cause multiple outcomes? We're starting to get it introduced, but the difference they make is generally pretty minimal. Evolve already, damn it!
Xfire | Xbox Live | PSN: Dajmin
DAJMIN.COM - The Rock Star Gamer
Dajmin 63

Xbox Live: Dajmin
PSN ID: Dajmin
Steam: Dajmin
xFire: Dajmin

Postby jstar » 01 Oct 2007, 13:02

The point isn't what he meant. I know exactly what he meant, I'm not an idiot. The point is that this sentence:

When you wrestle a shotgun into its owner's mouth, you do so with every lunge and jerk of a real human being. People scoff when Jack Thompson calls GTA and Manhunt "murder simulators", but it's to Riddick's credit that it is, without question, a superb murderer simulator.

can be used by any anti games person any where in the world as supposed proof that games are murder simulators. The point I ma making is that what is the use in providing idiots like Jack Thompson with ammunition? Its is stupid beyond belief and if you can't see that then you are an moron as well.
jstar 35

Postby mfnick » 01 Oct 2007, 13:37

Dajmin wrote:I think it's great that you guys totally missed all the irony and sarcasm that statement was dripping with.

I think we've reached a point now where too many games are going down the same route though. First we had the "normal guy in tough situation" games, now we have "psycho goes wild" and everyone is jumping on this bandwagon.

Have we not yet reached a point where every single decision you make can cause multiple outcomes? We're starting to get it introduced, but the difference they make is generally pretty minimal. Evolve already, damn it!

Not the point. Anti-gaming people can easily just either not care about the context of the writing or just totaly remove it from context altogether and use it to scare parents yet again about how gaming is evil

Side note - chronicles of Riddick is an awesome game. Anyone who missed it first time buy as soon as its released!
http://www.thirdschism.com/
mfnick 69

Butchers Bay

Postby ksyme99 » 01 Oct 2007, 14:14

mfnick got there before me - I was actually going to say that this was a fantastic game and deserved a lot more praise than it got! As for the slightly dodgy statement - you might as well give them someting to quote properly instead of mis-quoting everyone else! But seriously, those guys are never going to stop no matter what anyone does. Every sensible person can see it is the parents fault every time!
ksyme99 30

Postby Arctic_Hawk » 01 Oct 2007, 15:04

...That is the single most irresponsible thing I have ever read... ...expletive... ... some more expletive...

We'll be the death of our own pastime letting articles like that get printed.

OMG! the gaming industry will be closed!
In light of your wisdom I would like to propose a rhyme:

Remember Remember the first of October
Duncan, Riddick and Thought,
I know of no reason why free thinking treason
Should ever be forgot.

D. Harris, D. Harris 't was his intent
To make Jack Thompson content.
Freedom of speech and freedom of art,
Poor old Gamer angst.

By jstar and mfnick providence he was catch'd
With foul language and no brains to match.
Holloa boys, holloa boys, make the Internet scream.
Holloa boys, holloa boys, God save the Queen!
Hip hip hoorah!

Are you out of your mind?
First of all, how about using proper language or respect to your fellow man? it will help your idea's sound less 10 y/o.
The gaming industry will not be closed because of a phrase.
Jack Thompson is not really a threat - he's more like the court's own jester now.
The rest of the anti gaming people are now busy with 'proving' that Darwin was wrong and that we're all the result of intelligent design - which, if they win, includes violent games. so we're good.

Even if it does cause a stir, what's the alternative? Politically correct articles only? Laundered thought? Underground publications?
God forbid we'll annoy someone by thinking aloud.
Besides, any publicity is good publicity.

On topic:
Riddick was/is an excellent game. Too bad it didn't receive the attention it deserved.
First it is a movie based game that rocked. nuff' said. A lot of attention went into the details - this was not a cash-in game.
The story was interesting to follow and the execution (no pun) was great.
Finally, as the article mentions, existing in the game world physically, by speech and by thought made this game an experience most games can't touch.
Arctic_Hawk 10

Postby myoldfruity » 02 Oct 2007, 19:16

First post - :oops: feel ashamed of yourself son!

On topic, riddick was without a doubt one of the best games i ever played on the Xbox (even though i did clock it in 2 days - 2 looong days i might add) the last level is nothing short of outstanding, and everything else in between kicked so much ass.
Xbox Live (360) Gamertag: SafeN8dog

-----------------------------------

Like a train through a pigeon.
myoldfruity 53

Postby humorguy » 03 Oct 2007, 17:22

Never thought i'd say this, but 'back on topic' (!) I am little shy to admit it, but the number one game character that I was 'one' with for over 90% of the game was April Ryan, a teenage girl thrust into an extraordinary life in 'The Longest Journey', a 2000 point and click adventure from FunCom. Her actions, reactions and conversaions within the gameworld constantly mirrored what my brain thought she would do/say, and sometimes she actually said something when I thought it. Like the first time she said 'this is a little incredible, isn't it?!' to somebody, who responded 'this isn't a looking glass April and this isn't Kansas' or something like that and then one of the conversation choices was to say 'let me think about this a little first' and I thought how great that little choice was even though it did nothing. You just stood there with the other character and nothing happened until you clicked on him to continue the conversation, but it was so right!

On another level I did get into the Riddick character in a way I didn't with Gordon Freeman, for example. Currently being the 'named one' in the STALKER gameworld is making me think in his shoes, not so much because of the character but the world he is placed into!

Sometimes you don't even have to be a known character per sae, so for example I really became a Ranger plying the universe in Space Rangers 2. This was because of the detail in the universe and the fact that you are just another pilot flying the space lanes trying to make money, survive and do what you can to get rid of the Borg like Dominators!
humorguy 47