to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. - the myth and reality #2

Your comments on our articles.

Poring over the history of GSC Game World's first-person shooter

Below is part two of a three-part feature on S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Part one can be read here if you missed it.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Postby humorguy » 10 Sep 2007, 19:15

I don't understand how a game can get a treatise like this and yet only get 8.0 in the review, doesn't the subject matter and soul of a game demand points as much as anything? And shouldn't, by the same token, shallow boring rail shooters be marked down for exactly the opposite reason?

We are now in a different era of gaming, and we need more than ticking the boxes of 'good graphics', 'nice sounds', and 'decent gameplay'. To some degree Bioshock got extra points for it's 'soul', so tell me why Stalker didn't?! May be PC Zone can do another 'correction', like it did with GSC Gameworld's last game: 'Codename: Outbreak', where a few months after the intial review they printed a couple of paragraphs pointing out how the game was much better having played it more, that they were wrong in their first review and how they wanted to set the record straight. You did it with their last title, how about repeating it for STALKER? You know it makes sense!
humorguy 47

Postby User removed » 10 Sep 2007, 19:44

Splitting articles up like this is good business sense I'm sure, but the jump from part one to this one is a little too harsh. I had to go back and re-read the last couple of paragraphs from part one to remember what the hell was being discussed! :P

An excellent article despite this. :)
User removed

Postby Alex_Hoss » 11 Sep 2007, 08:35

I agree with both of you. Although flawed STALKER was underated. I played it at a friends house while having some time of work and got about half way through. I was completly sucked into the world and after playing I wanted to find out more about the actual history of thr disaster. Its a great article and I'm looking forward to part 3.
A Great Man once said, "Its not very often that you see ducks trust"
Alex_Hoss 31

Postby jvgp100 » 12 Sep 2007, 19:11

This article was written for PCGAMER, not PCZONE. PCG gave Stalker 87 or something like that, so closer to a 90
jvgp100 35

Postby humorguy » 13 Sep 2007, 22:12

Well jvgp, we're on a CVG website with just the 8.0 PC Zone review listed on it, and no mention in this article of any particular magaazine. I think therefore our comments are valid and not invalid, as you suggest.
humorguy 47

Postby PlanesOutcast » 22 Aug 2010, 14:57

The precursor to STALKER by GSC was not Cossacks, but rather an FPS based around two soldiers you could switch between in a world where meteorites had landed containing aliens.....

It was an excellent game with extremely large maps outdoors and claustrophobic indoor air vents and tunnels, etc.

With many humans infected and the great AI, the game was excellent. just like STALKER it had an atmosphere all of it's own and was damn scary in places!

It had some innovations too, so, for example, you could set up one soldier to aim his sniper rifle on one guard, then switch to the other soldier and aim at the second guard. When you fired at one guard the AI soldier fired at the other - both guards down simultaneously!

Well worth searching for on ebay, etc if you like STALKER!
PlanesOutcast 20