to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Wii Component cable Interlace Mode (it's Ninty innovation!)

Go here for multiplatform games discussion, past and present

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Do all of your Virtual Console games work over component?

Yes
33%
No
33%
I don't use a component cable.
33%

Total votes : 15

Wii Component cable Interlace Mode (it's Ninty innovation!)

Postby Pixe1 » 10 Sep 2007, 12:12

For those who don't know what I'm going on about, a quick recap:

NES, SNES and Mega Drive games that "support Wii Component AV cable Interlace Mode" will work perfectly with all TVs using component.

However, old VC games don't support it and won't display on some HDTVs (including mine :( ).

I was just wondering how many people have this problem. Wii has been out for nine months now and Nintendo still havn't updated these old VC games. Does it annoy anyone? Do you think Nintnedo is ever going to fix it?

I can't play Donkey Kong, Super Mario World, Comix Zone, etc. without switching cables :x .

Email from Nintendo to me (29th June) wrote:There can be an issue in rare instances of Virtual Console games not displaying picture on certain HDTV’s. This is due to the fact the Sega titles, NES titles and SNES titles output a non-interlaced video signal, just like the original hardware. N64 and Hudson titles use interlaced output. It seems likely that the cause of this problem is the fact that newer HDTV’s or projectors do not support non-interlaced signals when using a component cable.

To resolve this problem, Nintendo offer the following solution on VC games which are affected:

- Go to Wii system settings > Screen > TV Type > 60 Hz (480i) on a European Wii with language settings.
- Start the Virtual Console title. Due to the game specification, you need to plug-in the classic controller in the player 1’s Wii Remote in order to access to the game. The screen should be black. Press the Home button on the Wii Remote and access to the manual page.
- Unplug the classic controller and connect the Nunchuk to the Player 1’s Wii Remote. Now it’s ready to switch between non-interlaced mode (double strike) and interlaced mode.
- Disable non-interlaced mode (double strike) by pressing the “A” and “2” button on the player 1’s Wii remote and “Z” button on the Nunchuk at the same time. You can now see the game normally.
- To switch back the game to its original settings: Enable non-interlaced mode (double strike) by pressing A and 1 buttons on the player 1’s Wii remote and Z button on the Nunchuk at the same time.[/list]

This solution need only be done once, and will affect every game with the latest update offered ny Nintendo. Some games do not currently have this functionality but Nintendo are implementing the changes in all forthcoming titles and earlier titles first.

Kind regards,

Your Nintendo Team

_P i x e 1
Pixe1 53

Postby Fancy Fancy » 10 Sep 2007, 12:21

Oh. :? I've recently bought a Panasonic HDTV & I'll hopefully be picking up a Wii in the next few weeks, but I didn't know about this problem. Do I just stick with scart then ?
Thas right, thas right! Keep a walkin' fancyboy!
Fancy Fancy 59

Postby Pixe1 » 10 Sep 2007, 12:34

No. You should still use component because the picture quality is better.

Since you don't have a Wii yet, I deduce that you also don't have any Virtual Console games. You could simply avoid buying VC games that don't support interlace mode. :D

All N64/TurboGrafx games support interlace mode. For NES/SNES/Mega Drive games, check the description on the Wii Shop Channel. Only buy games that "support Wii Component AV cable Interlace Mode".

_P i x e 1
Pixe1 53

Postby NGM Cube » 10 Sep 2007, 13:49

Sonic the Hedgehog, Kirby's Adventure and Super Mario World don't work for me. So I have to swap cables for the first two (I don't want to play SMW. Don't like it).
NGM Cube 66

Xbox Live: Cube1701
PSN ID: Cube1701
Wii Code: 0460 9678 8120 6539
Steam: Cube1701

Postby User removed » 10 Sep 2007, 14:37

All of my VC games work fine with the componant lead, but they're both N64 games so I guess that doesn't count.
NGM Cube wrote:I don't want to play SMW. Don't like it.

Really? I'm surprised by that. Personally I think it's the best 2D Mario ever made.
Which is your favorite 2D Mario then if you don't mind me asking?
User removed

Postby j.bullingham » 10 Sep 2007, 15:02

i can't play donkey kong country using the cable, it goes all weird, so need to switch back to scart. mario kart 64 is ok, but doesn't support ghost saves or rumble. lylat wars again no rumble and some bug issues on the under water planet, to dark and aiming cursor disappears. i've heard that there are updates for to fix the problems, but they only seem available for nintendo america via wii shop updates. i don't know why europe can't get these updates. i think the more important question is why have we brought a new console and because of the lack of good wii software support, we're having to resort to playing 10 years old retro games on it?
wii code: 0116-4755-0008-9273.
BWii fc, 451-099-130-319.
psn i.d: jazzy_bee
EA account name: MPWwiimojo
j.bullingham 42

Postby Fancy Fancy » 10 Sep 2007, 16:24

Pixe1 wrote:No. You should still use component because the picture quality is better.

Since you don't have a Wii yet, I deduce that you also don't have any Virtual Console games. You could simply avoid buying VC games that don't support interlace mode. :D

All N64/TurboGrafx games support interlace mode. For NES/SNES/Mega Drive games, check the description on the Wii Shop Channel. Only buy games that "support Wii Component AV cable Interlace Mode".

Ah right. Cheers for the advice. :D
Fancy Fancy 59

Postby NGM Cube » 10 Sep 2007, 16:56

j.bullingham wrote:i can't play donkey kong country using the cable, it goes all weird, so need to switch back to scart.

They the thing in the first post. DKC works fine with a component cable when you turn the fix on.

i don't know why europe can't get these updates.

My European Wii has those updates.

Venom_uk wrote:Which is your favorite 2D Mario then if you don't mind me asking?

New Super Mario Bros. is the only one I like.
NGM Cube 66

Xbox Live: Cube1701
PSN ID: Cube1701
Wii Code: 0460 9678 8120 6539
Steam: Cube1701

Postby Fancy Fancy » 14 Sep 2007, 13:16

I forgot to ask which component lead everyone's using. The official one or the slightly cheaper third party ones ? Is there any difference ?
Fancy Fancy 59

Postby Pixe1 » 14 Sep 2007, 14:00

Reviews suggest that they are much of a muchness. I decided on the official cable in the end. If you need a long cable, the official one is 2.5m.

Oh, and buy online for a significant saving :D .

_P i x e 1
Pixe1 53

Postby Fancy Fancy » 15 Sep 2007, 21:43

Just ordered the Official cable. Thanks Pixe1. :D
Fancy Fancy 59

Re: Wii Component cable Interlace Mode (it's Ninty innovatio

Postby a3HeadedMonkey » 16 Sep 2007, 07:41

Pixe1 wrote:However, old VC games don't support it and won't display on some HDTVs (including mine :( ).

It's not the cables, it's your TV mate. I have Comix Zone & it works fine! All my VC games work fine apart from F-Zero which is a bit shaky & looks quite nasty. (& I have a lot of VC games.)

I took my Wii to a freinds house & all the VC games looked terrible on his TV & his TV is £200 more expensive than mine, plus we were using scart on his so... :?

Definatley a TV compatability issue. My TV doesn't like the internet channel through components though, it keeps flickering on & off! :?
a3HeadedMonkey 69

Postby Pixe1 » 28 Sep 2007, 09:00

Yippee :D !

Donkey Kong and Kirby's Adventure have been updated on the Shop Channel. They now support component compatibility mode.

That means five of my nine VC titles work without me switching cables. Hurry up Nintendo and update Donkey Kong Junior, Super Mario World, Bonanza Bros and Comix Zone.

_P i x e 1
Pixe1 53

Postby SDDowns » 28 Sep 2007, 10:26

Wow, I never knew what a good TV I bought... My TV rocks! No problems, everything works for.
You made me miss. I've never missed that board before.
Jottify (my writing)
Twitter
YouTube
SDDowns 58

Xbox Live: EZT SDDowns
Wii Code: 2972 9916 7665 7283
Steam: SDDowns

Postby shigsy2003 » 28 Sep 2007, 15:29

I just have a widescreen TV as I am still in the stone age so I never have problems...
"Mr Spock on Vulcan the women are logical, yours is the only planet in the universe that can make that claim" - Kirk.
shigsy2003 34

Next