to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Eternal Sonata

Your comments on our articles.

A brutal tale of revenge as you take control of... erm, classical musician frederic chopin...

Blue Dragon might have been busy grabbing all the headlines thanks to the noisy involvement of Japan's Holy Trinity of game design deities Sakaguchi, Toriyama and Uematsu, but the real RPG nuts have been holding out for this quirky little wonder. Imagine if famed composer Chopin had experienced a vivid dream on his deathbed - possibly involving demure young Japanese girls with outrageous goggle eyes - and you've got the unlikely premise behind this epic tale of derring-do and, um... terminal illness.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Eternal Sonata

Postby wudragon » 19 Aug 2007, 15:00

Oh yes! This is just the what the doctor ordered for the 360, exactly the kind of game the system needs to keep a jump on the ps3. This game deserves to be huge! 8)
wudragon 50

Postby Mappman » 19 Aug 2007, 16:50

Downloaded the trailer on live last night. It looks truely gorgeous. Like an actual anime but none of it looks like it's fmv which is bloody amazing.

Could be the first rpg i've bought in years.
Mappman 45

Postby ledickolas » 19 Aug 2007, 17:39

Downloaded the trailer after not really enjoying the Blue Dragon demo. Looks very interesting so far, could be the game to get me interested in jrpgs again.
ledickolas 52

Postby Budly Moore » 19 Aug 2007, 19:14

The demo plays like old FF, quite linier, the combats great though, I been playing FFXII and its very similar. But this is without a doubt the most beautifullest game I've ever played, cant wait for this.
Budly Moore 49

Postby potnoodle1 » 19 Aug 2007, 20:38

Where are you guys getting this demo from because I can't find it anywhere.
potnoodle1 52

Postby User removed » 20 Aug 2007, 07:43

The demo is up on American xbox live, to get it you need to sign up for a US Live account (simply by signing up with an email address with United States set as location).

And I have to say, it's well worth the effort - The only jrpg's I've played are a handful of Final Fantasy's, and in all of them I've given up before I've beaten the game because of a frustrating combat/random encounters/leveling system. But having played the demo for this... I love it! The combat is still kind of repetative, but it's so much fun I don't care!
User removed

Postby DanMW » 20 Aug 2007, 07:45

LOL I enjoyed that preview. I'm really looking forward to this game, I haven't played an RPG since Dragon Quest 8, but this one's got me interested in RPGs once again.

I find it a little unfortunate that it's coming out in November, which is probably the busiest month of the year with the likes of Mass Effect, Assassin's Creed, Call of Duty 4, Army of Two, etc.
DanMW 45

Postby Dajmin » 20 Aug 2007, 14:13

I tried the US demo last night and the combat system works really well. The only problem I had was trying to work out where the enemy was during battles. With only 4 seconds or so to move and attack, not knowing where they are before you start to move can be a bit of a pain. Probably just a setting I missed or something though.

I wasn't too pleased with moving around though - the paths you had to take were all too fixed. I'm not saying we need complete free roaming, but being confined to a single path leading you straight from A to B seems a little simple.
Xfire | Xbox Live | PSN: Dajmin
DAJMIN.COM - The Rock Star Gamer
Dajmin 63

Xbox Live: Dajmin
PSN ID: Dajmin
Steam: Dajmin
xFire: Dajmin

Postby metallicorphan » 20 Aug 2007, 19:19

yup i played the demo as well,and it made the list
metallicorphan 60

Xbox Live: metallicorphan
PSN ID: metallicorphan
Wii Code: 8008135-111111111

Postby DanMW » 21 Aug 2007, 05:55

Dajmin wrote:I tried the US demo last night and the combat system works really well. The only problem I had was trying to work out where the enemy was during battles. With only 4 seconds or so to move and attack, not knowing where they are before you start to move can be a bit of a pain. Probably just a setting I missed or something though.

If I remember correctly if you press the left trigger it gives you a wider view, I think there's 3 camara angles in total.
DanMW 45

Postby User removed » 21 Aug 2007, 17:51

Isn't this published by Atari, not MS? :?
User removed

Postby metallicorphan » 22 Aug 2007, 22:01

andrewpcowley wrote:Isn't this published by Atari, not MS? :?

Atari distribute it(for europe and australia)

NAMCO-BANDAI are the publishers
metallicorphan 60

Xbox Live: metallicorphan
PSN ID: metallicorphan
Wii Code: 8008135-111111111