to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Free stuff alert: MMO Archlord

Your comments on our articles.

Forget buying the game, says Codemasters, you can have it for free - free expansion now available too

Free stuff alert: Korean MMO Archlord that Codemasters brought West is playable for nowt over here, as you can now download the client for free. You don't have to pay a subscription fee either (which has been the case since January 2007) and even nab a new free expansion - Episode 2: Season of Siege - that's been released.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Free stuff alert: MMO Archlord

Postby csdaveuk » 16 Aug 2007, 15:42

It may not cost any money but you're still spending time on it, time that could be better spent being nice to kittens, or something.
That's you, that is.
csdaveuk 64

Xbox Live: csdaveuk
Steam: Giant Haystacks
Battle.net: csdaveuk
xFire: csdaveuk

Postby falloutwarchief » 16 Aug 2007, 16:19

I know what you mean. I used to enjoy WoW, then quit. Since then I've tried Vanguard and LotR Online, and also gone back to WoW for a while, but I just can't play MMOs anymore. Just the thought of playing one makes me bored. Kill 6 whatevers, collect 10 whatevers, wander around for hours, repeat... Just can't do it no more.
falloutwarchief 58

Postby DNCDante » 16 Aug 2007, 21:43

In this case, free means financed by microtransactions. I'm curious how far you get without spending real money.
DNCDante 34

Postby Aircool_212 » 17 Aug 2007, 07:48

You've just got to pick the right MMO's. GW isn't boring, and I've just reactivated my DDO account 'cos it's more Diablo than WoW and the combat system is actually quite good fun.

No suprises Archlord bombed though. Not only did you have to buy the game and pay the subscription, but if you paid a higher sub fee, you got plenty of bonuses online. As if were gonna go for that. Are you listening Hellgate: London?

If you're making an MMO, you've got to make the sub fee worth it, were a demanding bunch us gamers, and rightfully so.
Aircool_212 50

Postby Whiteball » 18 Aug 2007, 11:25

I've always felt that if I paid a monthly subscription I would have to play it all the time to justify the outlay. I mean, play it ALL the time, not just when I could fit it in, or needed a break from the real world hassles.

This is why I have never gone beyond trying the free trials that come up every now and then. That and the fact that none of them have ever grabbed me by the balls and wouldn't let go.

I'd rather play things like HL2 as and when I want without feeling, almost obliged to do so for justification rather than enjoyment.

Maybe I just haven't tried the right ones? but somehow I doubt it, and I doubt that free offerings such as this will change my views either....
Whiteball 52