The Darkness

Your comments on our articles.

Review: Step into the light

A lot's been said (and written) of Starbreeze's gloriously dark action game based on the comic of the same name. Well, the final code has been with us for a while now and we're pleased to say it's well worth your full attention.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

The Darkness

Postby vulcanraven01 » 29 Jun 2007, 15:59

I'd say the score is pretty accurate. I would have given this a 9/10 but the fact the game is so short would have brought it down to a 8.5/10 for me.
vulcanraven01 59

Postby GT500 » 29 Jun 2007, 19:19

Great game so far. I just like the way its all done, you don't glide like in a lot of FPSs, you actually move like you're walking, you move your guns about, they don't stay in the same place, the executions are a great touch, the very subtle auto aim is fantastic for headshots, the world feels open, its not all corridors like most FPSs, but best of all.....looking at yourself in the bathroom mirrors when your darkness powers are kickin off....COOL AS f**k! :D
GT500 59

Postby MrPirtniw » 29 Jun 2007, 21:49

That's the scale tipped then- I'm gonna have to get this. Woo!
MrPirtniw 71

Xbox Live: Tysh0
PSN ID: MrPirtniw

Postby madascheese06 » 30 Jun 2007, 15:16

the boys are right its tip top havnt played online yet but id recomend it to any one who likes fps. (subtle auto aim? its anything but subtle a bit ott for my likin) :lol:
madascheese06 2

Postby ted1138 » 30 Jun 2007, 15:24

:? Not sure about this one, maybe if Witchblade was in it...Hmmmmmm....???
ted1138 61

Postby jstar » 30 Jun 2007, 19:28

wheres the twist? i've played it virtually to the end and there is no twist that 'turns the game on its head'. am enjoying it though. annoying to be told there is an amzing twist though. do you even know what a 'twist' is instory terms? obviously not.
jstar 35

Postby User removed » 30 Jun 2007, 20:43

Ive completed it and its fantastic. 10/10 easy.
User removed

Postby justd » 02 Jul 2007, 05:43

jstar wrote:wheres the twist? i've played it virtually to the end and there is no twist that 'turns the game on its head'. am enjoying it though. annoying to be told there is an amzing twist though. do you even know what a 'twist' is instory terms? obviously not.

HUGE SPOILER ALERT!!!

You can't remeber that small part where the darkness forces him to watch his girlfirend be murdered in present day (well early 90s). At which point he turns his gun on himself and blows his brains out. Then waking up in some other dimensions set in world war 1, where he bumps into his grandad, and has a little chat about how his grandad was originally infected by the whole "darkness thing"

I'd say new weapons, new enemies, new location, new time, new dimension, is a fairly large twist in the story and gameplay.

END OF SPOILER

Started playing this last night. I must say as far a the game goes. Its ace just like return to butcher bay, but better, improved and refined, a really enjoyable experience so far. Amazing to look at, a really well delivered cinematic story, enjoyable fps action, large almost sandbox areas to explore and just a really well put together game.

Highly recommended.
360 has the best games FACT <--- That's a Link by the way, go on, click it
justd 36

Postby kricca » 02 Jul 2007, 08:50

Spent most of the weekend on this - excellent and fairly faithful to the brilliant comics too.
kricca 56

Postby Typheous » 02 Jul 2007, 10:25

I think that it's all of the little things that make this game so enjoyable. Like if you are peeking around a corner of a door, the gun thats closest to the room bends round into the room. Same happens if you are looking over the top of something, Jackie arches his arms and points the guns downwards slightly ready for some shooting. Personally I think this is a great, especially considering most FPS you can have your crossair on an enemy in a room for example as you are peeking round a door, only to still manage to shoot the side of the wall because of the bullet direction. Excellent art direction, excellent open sequence (on the rails but quite frantic and interesting) BTW, anyone know how many of the tunnel workers you have to kill at the opening of the game to get the "RoadKill" achievment?
Typheous 51

twist

Postby jstar » 02 Jul 2007, 12:58

edit
jstar 35

Postby ledickolas » 03 Jul 2007, 12:47

Too short, too glitchy. The story was above average. Too gimmicky (helpers, tv channels) Another overrated game. I must seriously be losing touch with what's good at the moment. I truly hated Gears of War... these games seriously need more content to justify their price. I just rent these days, especially as GAME have revoked their ten day return policy.

I fail to see what's NEXT GEN about the darkness apart from some tidy graphics...and I do not have the money to waste on 8 piddly hours of entertainment.
ledickolas 52

Postby funkyjack » 04 Jul 2007, 12:26

"8 hours", you must be gods gift at gaming then...I've read most people take 12-14 hours to finish it.

I don't really rate games on how long it takes me to finish them, its how much FUN i had whilst doing so which counts! Max Payne 2 was short, but it was also a lot of fun, which is why it scored so highly. And as someone with very little time, a quick 30mins here and there means it could take me over a month to finish one game of this size.

Like you I didn't really get into Gears, but I am really enjoying the Darkness, I've not experience any glitches.

Once I am done with a game I just sell it on Ebay and get about 80-90% of my money back, never take em back to Game to swap, they have to make a profit so you get ripped off.
Love Films rental service for games is also very good £14.99 per month and you can get 2 at a time and keep them for as long as you want.
He who nades, always wins...
funkyjack 60

Xbox Live: Chimera Six
PSN ID: D1RTYRAT
Steam: C3ll_DirtyRat

Postby humorguy » 03 Oct 2007, 17:34

8-12 hours again - no wonder I go for STALKER, Medieval Total War II/Kingdoms and Neverwinter Nights 2 for my PC gaming £ - 8 hours for £40? No thank you! 80+ gameplay hours for my £40 if you don't mind! And in the case of the first Neverwinter Nights, Oblivion and a little game called Space Rangers 2, make that 150+ hours each!!! And Space Rangers 2 was only £25 to boot!

I am just worried that all you guys buying games like the 5 hour HL2 Episode 1 and the 8-14 hour The Darkness, among others, is going to mean the end of my 80+ hour gameplay games! :)
humorguy 47