Colin McRae: DiRT

Your comments on our articles.

Review: McRae goes mainstream

For the past few months, Codemasters has had us ogling at some of the most impressively realistic screenshots of any racing game ever. Needless to say, we couldn't bloody wait for Colin McRae DiRT.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Colin McRae: DiRT

Postby lmimmfn » 15 Jun 2007, 15:11

I played the PC demo and i hated that american dude, they should have put a mini game in where you could slice him up or something and as a bonus his annoyingness would no longer be present in the game :twisted:
I HATE fanboys, fanboy - "Fanboys are noted for a very emotional attachment to their chosen subject, often taking negative remarks about it as a personal attack."
lmimmfn 61

Postby peteuplink » 15 Jun 2007, 15:55

It's not a bad game, but I must admit the handling is very robotic. Also I don't think the particle effects look quite as good as the trailers lead us to believe, but things on a small preview screen tend to look better than on a large TV.

The big downer... Why the heck do we have to have a redneck american co-driver? The guy is a moron, making childish comments like "C'mon lets show them how to do this" or "Man can't wait to get my hands on that trophy". Why couldn't we have had a choice of co-driver voices?
peteuplink 38

Postby cjw101 » 15 Jun 2007, 16:02

Glad I'm not the only one that hated the co-driver!

Co-driver: "Pressure? Pressure's for tires, man - not drivers!"

Me: "Shut it, t**t."
XBL GamerTag: LotusCrispy

Selling my PSP
cjw101 72

Postby peteuplink » 15 Jun 2007, 16:10

LOL yeah that's what I think everytime he opens his mouth as well :P

One thing I've just noticed that's really bugging me is the fact that when you drive through a forest when in "helmet cam" view you can't see any trees in the rear view mirror.... shoddy!
peteuplink 38

Postby ez_dude » 15 Jun 2007, 16:52

Have to say i agree with every single point in the review, it's spot on.

I still like the game, but the light handling and terrible American voice-over really puts a downer on the game.

I think if they slowed the game down by 20% and decreased the steering sens. it will be good. Maybe the PC version can get a mod made for it to do this.
ez_dude 44

Postby tabell » 16 Jun 2007, 10:22

how dare they compare it unfavourably to V-Rally. Vrally, with its all insanely aggressive AI drivers and lovely courses blew colin mcrae out of the water back in the day.
tabell 45

Postby peteuplink » 16 Jun 2007, 11:19

Another downer on the game is the framerate. It's okay in the rally stages, but in rally raid, motor cross and CORR it gets alarmingly low.

This sort of thing I can accept on my PC which isn't the fastest machine in the world, but on consoles the games are supposed to be designed specifically for the spec of the machine and slowdowns are meant to be bug tested out before a games release. I think the fact that there are sub 20fps frame rates in CM:Dirt is a good example of how lazy programmers are these days.

Lots of games on PC get released in a badly unoptimised state and if you complain about it you're told to "Upgrade your machine because it's not fast enough", which is an excuse I've always found to be a bit lame. And now we're starting to see bad frame rates on consoles, so how are you supposed to take that apart and shove some more RAM/new Graphics card in it?
peteuplink 38

Postby Gabanski83 » 16 Jun 2007, 12:12

The handling's just as dodgy in the PC version, and miles away from the handling in Colin McRae '04 and Colin McRae 2005, both of which I've been playing rather a lot of in anticipation. The official forums over here are rife with people talking and complaining about the iffy handling, as well as frame rate issues.

I hate races with the light FWD cars, as they careen all over the track, are a bastard to straighten up, and can slam from 100+mph down to under 20mph in about a second and a half on corners, which is just ridiculous.

Add on top of that the infamous Starforce copy protection drivers on the PC version, as well as the Launch Day patch, and I'm not that impressed really. It's not a McRae game; it feels more like TOCA Race Driver or something.

I mean, it looks fantastic, but that's not the important thing about a game. It's how well it plays, and this I'm afraid pales compared to CMR'04 and CMR2005. I shan't be uninstalling either of them for a while yet.
Not the sole member of the John Walker Appreciation Society anymore!
Gabanski83 52

Postby dandoc2 » 16 Jun 2007, 15:54

Handling need getting used to

I cancelled my pre order becos theres a deal on gamestation.co.uk that if you buy ne other 360 game u get dirt for £15 so u cn get forza and dirt for £50
dandoc2 53

Postby lmimmfn » 16 Jun 2007, 17:28

peteuplink wrote:LOL yeah that's what I think everytime he opens his mouth as well :P

One thing I've just noticed that's really bugging me is the fact that when you drive through a forest when in "helmet cam" view you can't see any trees in the rear view mirror.... shoddy!

I dunno about the xbox version, but the PC has the option to enable reflections on the mirrors

Im getting decent enough performance with the game on my PC, 30-35FPS which is fine for a racer, i can have all the settings high, 2xAA, no crowds, no motion blur and have to use a crap resolution i.e. same as the xbox's. It looks great though and plays well. Its highly dependent on the GPU, and im getting a nice 8800GTX next month anyway :)
Im enjoying it, the handling is totally stupid though, you can go from full speed to 0 in under a second, feels like some antigravity spacesip
I HATE fanboys, fanboy - "Fanboys are noted for a very emotional attachment to their chosen subject, often taking negative remarks about it as a personal attack."
lmimmfn 61

Postby madrandall » 16 Jun 2007, 18:18

If it aint the colin mcrae I love, then il get back to playing motorstorm on ps3
madrandall 39

Postby madrandall » 16 Jun 2007, 18:21

If it aint the colin mcrae I love, then il get back to playing motorstorm on ps3
madrandall 39

Postby peteuplink » 16 Jun 2007, 20:56

lmimmfn wrote:I dunno about the xbox version, but the PC has the option to enable reflections on the mirrors

The reflections are on in the xbox 360 version. You can see the road behind you, but when you drive through a forest and you can see trees in your front view if you look in the rear view mirror it looks like you're driving through a desert, because you see no trees. It's obviously been done to improve the frame rate, but why couldn't they have just added the ability to turn off the rear view mirror instead?
peteuplink 38

Postby lmimmfn » 17 Jun 2007, 02:50

peteuplink wrote:
lmimmfn wrote:I dunno about the xbox version, but the PC has the option to enable reflections on the mirrors

The reflections are on in the xbox 360 version. You can see the road behind you, but when you drive through a forest and you can see trees in your front view if you look in the rear view mirror it looks like you're driving through a desert, because you see no trees. It's obviously been done to improve the frame rate, but why couldn't they have just added the ability to turn off the rear view mirror instead?

I havnt checked that on the PC version, but it does have ultra settings on the PC( if you have an 8800 card ), i cant access them though with my current gfx card, but id say youll see all the reflections on the PC. It does sound a bit silly alright, but again if thats the only issue... :)
lmimmfn 61

Postby Mark240473 » 18 Jun 2007, 12:34

madrandall wrote:If it aint the colin mcrae I love, then il get back to playing motorstorm on ps3

You and me both, pal.

I've played Dirt on 360 and it plays like a dog and even the frame rate sometimes made my eyes hurt. Motorstorm has nothing to worry about.

Even forza 2 was a letdown in my opinion, with the graphics being a bit jaggy and no in-car view. Maybe a bit better than Forza 1.

How 360 fans can slag of PS3 is beyond me. Gran Turismo 5 will blow them all out of the water.

It's better to wait for one brilliant game, than waste your money on loads of average games.
Mark240473 64

Xbox Live: BobozeTheBear
PSN ID: MarkyUK

Next