to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Long Play: Far Cry

Your comments on our articles.

Is it wise to retread the tracks of our tears?

I'm gonna shoot you in the face!" If you're like me, those seven little words will set your breast a-glowing with warmth - the recollection of fun times.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Long Play: Far Cry

Postby User removed » 14 May 2007, 17:33

Agreed. Was Doyle the worst final boss ever? Well, he is most certainly the easiest, taking one hit (or so it seems to my addled memory) compared to the infinite hits of Krieger or multi-nades that Crow or the rocketeers take.
User removed

Postby Aircool_212 » 15 May 2007, 10:13

Yeah, it looks good still. But I didn't like the game much, I found it a bit....boring. When those bastard monsters turned up, I turned off.

I quite liked the multiplayer for a while, but the maps where too big, or not enough players. Anyway, the MP didn't cut it either.
Aircool_212 50

Postby spam23 » 23 May 2007, 13:21

coincidentally I've just reinstalled far cry about a week ago and I was genuinely enjoying its ageless beauty , quirky humour and stunning gameplay... until the trigens turned up. They're s**t. They don't have funny little conversations you can listen in on with your magic binoculars, they don't look terrifically bad-ass (instead opting for the mutant candy-floss look) and who the hell keeps giving them rockets to reload with?

And yes, that last volcano fight is way too over the top - the bastards.
spam23 51

Xbox Live: Xen Withanex
PSN ID: luttman23
Steam: luttman23

Postby Christopher Low » 25 May 2007, 12:42

It's quite amazing how so many final levels in FPS games are rubbish. They should be the icing on the cake, but they almost always end up being crappy boss arenas that are about as exciting to play as Russian roulette.
Asus P5K-SE | Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 | 4GB PC2-8500 | 512MB GeForce 9800GT | SB X-Fi Extreme Music | Hyundai Imagequest L72D | Logitech G25 | Windows Vista64
Christopher Low 49

Postby Alan Goddard » 07 Jun 2007, 14:19

Well I have just got the game and your right the backgrounds are brill. But I am having trouble already (see my question in another forum) Even after the comments i am still looking forward to killing those mouthy mercs.
Cheers
:wink: Alan
Alan Goddard 2

Postby humorguy » 09 Jun 2007, 22:36

And so I ask this:

Why the heck can't game publishers keep using this engine and thereby still give us games with great graphics (that have great gameplay) and of course will run on nearly all of today's home PC's, meaning more sales, a better, stronger PC games market and of course more mainstream gamers playing PC games instead of console because their PC is 'cheaper' as it need less constant upgrading?!

The review and comments here show this engine is still good enough, and even though I like Oblivion, it's graphics are only 20% better than Far Cry, and yet demand twice the PC power!

I will be very very surprised if Crysis sells as many units as Far Cry originally did, mostly because of the O/S and hardware demands. Average gamers just are not interested and cannot afford £100's at the drop of a hat buying new OS's that offers little new and video cards and soundcards in price ranges they have never spent before!

To slowdown this merry-go-round of upgrades to play the latest games, we should still be using HL2 and Far Cry and Doom engines for new and interesting games with still excellent graphics and yet not hardware intensive.

When will the PC games media and the PC games industry wake up to this? Is it that difficult?
humorguy 47