to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

PC Zone votes Deus Ex the best PC game ever!

Your comments on our articles.

Warren Spector exclusively speaks to PC Zone about the making of the number one game in our 101 Best Games Ever feature

PC Zone issue 181 is out today - complete with the results of the Zone team exhaustingly compiling our 101 favourite PC games of all time - in which sci-fi RPG/shooter Deus Ex has come out on top. Speaking exclusively to the mag, Warren Spector reveals here how the game was created, what is was actually like working for the now-defunct Ion Storm and his reaction on being number one...... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

PC Zone votes Deus Ex the best PC game ever!

Postby funkyjack » 26 Apr 2007, 23:57

Simply awesome...a great interview with a legend, thanks PC Zone.
He who nades, always wins...
funkyjack 60

Xbox Live: Chimera Six
PSN ID: D1RTYRAT
Steam: C3ll_DirtyRat

Postby humorguy » 28 Apr 2007, 16:51

I am sorry but this is a great game with the hype added, so it's no.1 because of the hype that surrounded this game from the media as much as the game.

For the sake of PC gaming we needed either The Longest Journey or Planescape Torment as No.1, just to prove that story and characters and situations are the key. Even Deus Ex is at it's heart an FPS. The genre the media love so much, it's about the only genre left in PC games, hence the decline in PC game sales and the increase in size of ebay's retro PC gaming section...!
humorguy 47

Postby voad » 01 May 2007, 11:33

What hype??? What are you talking about.... the first Deus Ex did not have record breaking sales. It did receive many awards though and rightfully so. I agree with the staff that this is the best PC game ever.... I think it is the best game ever in general. And the game had the complete package.... it had one of, if not the best story in a game.... and also it had incredible gameplay. It was a true hybred that mixed different genres smoothly and I'd say that to this day there is no better game experience out there.

Also, PC gaming sales are up 43%... and that is mostly due to the RPG genre... with games like OB, Gothic3, and NWN2.... you may not consider those true RPG's but that is what genre they are listed under and they are not FPS's.
voad 50

Postby User removed » 21 May 2007, 10:22

humorguy wrote:I am sorry but this is a great game with the hype added, so it's no.1 because of the hype that surrounded this game from the media as much as the game.

For the sake of PC gaming we needed either The Longest Journey or Planescape Torment as No.1, just to prove that story and characters and situations are the key. Even Deus Ex is at it's heart an FPS. The genre the media love so much, it's about the only genre left in PC games, hence the decline in PC game sales and the increase in size of ebay's retro PC gaming section...!

What you meant to say was "Why didn't my favourite games win!"
User removed

Postby NecrosHUN » 21 May 2007, 13:11

humorguy wrote:I am sorry but this is a great game with the hype added, so it's no.1 because of the hype that surrounded this game from the media as much as the game.

Do you even know the game? :roll:

It had one of the best stories in gaming history, ever. Characters? Many memorable, well built up chars, lots of char. developement too. Situations? What do you mean by that? If you want moral dilemmas, you can find many in Deus Ex, and not only simple ones. This games had multiple layers in many sense. I think we should be thankful because Half Life did not win. Now, that would've been a big dissapointment. Well, they were in top ten anyway... But not the first place and that's what counts. :)
NecrosHUN 28

Postby humorguy » 15 Jul 2007, 01:02

I wasn't knocking Deus Ex, I was saying the chart was as much about how much a game was hyped by them and the media in general as it was about how good a game was to get to any particular chart position!
humorguy 47

Postby Prinny Squad » 17 Jul 2007, 11:53

I'm just annoyed with the fact they put The Sims 2 higher than things like No-One Lives Forever 2 >_>
Prinny Squad 34

It is the best game ever

Postby Travleer » 08 Dec 2009, 09:08

What he doesn't seem to realise is that people with legitimate talent have big egos. People with big egos have trouble playing nice with eachother. An experienced leader would realized what a special team he had all along.

On the other hand, he made them all work together so I guess his leadership speaks for itself.

What a great game. just bought it again off of steam. May buy it again another 10 years down the road.
Travleer 1