to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

360 Pirates shame Wii graphical prowess

Your comments on our articles.

Latest Pirates of the Caribbean offering looking quite attractive on 360, but total arse on Wii

Disney Interactive has released the first screenshots of Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End - and we've never seen such a huge visual leap between two Wii and Xbox 360 counterparts.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

360 Pirates shame Wii graphical prowess

Postby FearItself187 » 03 Apr 2007, 08:41

How does it 'shame Wii's graphical prowess'? Shouldn't it shame the crap developer who can't get the game looking decent?
FearItself187 25

Postby Silver_Sun » 03 Apr 2007, 09:04

Agreed. We keep getting told the the Wii's graphics don't match up, but we already know if it capable of more than that.
Silver_Sun 21

Postby Demoki » 03 Apr 2007, 09:06

360 looks awesome though i wasnt sick at the look of the wii's pic. Not a game i would buy but the graphics arent shockin
Demoki 51

Postby 4321emanresu » 03 Apr 2007, 09:40

If you put a first rate team on a project you get a first rate game. If you put a second rate team on a project you get a second rate game.

Apparently these guys have several teams!
4321emanresu 51

Postby Garfunkle20 » 03 Apr 2007, 10:01

All third rate.

I like how they added the little nunchuck symbol to the Wii's screen shot. It's like they're deliberatly making it seem that they are attempting to take a jab at Wii gamers.
Do you see the A button being flashed upon the 360 screenshots? Bah.

And I agree that the developers could have at least attempted with the graphics part. Resi 4 was amazing on the GC, with the Wii being more powerful that the said console, yet this developer still attempted to give us hardcore GBA graphics.

EDIT: Eurocom. Never heard of you.
Garfunkle20 17

Postby Petebrolly » 03 Apr 2007, 10:12

im seriously beginning to believe that the Wii is not any more powerful then the original xbox, as nintendo claim. there is not one game that looks better than what the original xbox was capable of IMO.

it could be that all these developers are lazy, but since nothing has been seen of a game that looks as good as original xbox graphics (from any developer), i'd believe the wii to be on par with gamecube graphics wise.

They can't all be "lazy" can they?
Petebrolly 51

Postby Al3x » 03 Apr 2007, 10:40

Maybe you need to check out Super Mario Galaxy then.

Perhaps in stills it doesn't obviously look "better than X-Box"'s best offerings considering the Wii doesn't seem to have the same support for pixel shaders and other Direct X based effects (duh), but when seen in silky smooth motion it beats the crap out of any last gen game including GameCube and X-Box titles and it certainly looks totally next-gen even if it's not up to the standards of say, Gears of War, though a comparison like that is more or less useless given the different visual goals at hand.

The environments and models are smooth with almost no angles in sight (not just low-poly geometry "masked" with normal mapping or other effects), the textures varied, the bosses and most other elements look as good as graphics seen in CG "cartoon" movies, the lighting is fantastic, and there's a good range of visible special effects like some sort of bloom and even evident normal mapping-esque techniques alongside other material effects.

Notable scenes for the graphics are the spider boss fight, the gigantic metallic boss that Mario actually climbs on to defeat, and of course the octopus boss residing on (well, in) a lovely looking lava filled planet. The Prey-esque (but unlike that game it's heavily and greatly used here) gravity is also a great idea that helps showcase the system's power further not only as physics go but also with the freedom it gave the level designers. It's just amazing to see that kind of quality on every asteroid or planet and seamlessly travel between all of them in the blink of an eye.

Once again, a very important (for me at least) factor is that it's all running silky smooth, unlike the average X-Box (and sadly lately even 360) title for which developers seemed to push the graphics to levels the system(s) can't actually handle properly resulting in a crappy 30 frames per second instead of the expected and desirable (for a reason) since the late 32 bit era 60 fps. Way to go backwards isntead of forward.

As for lazy developers, yes they all are, though there are a few companies that have done one or two good looking titles showing there's some potential to be had. Sonic and the Secret Rings is a perfect example of what a little (not a lot of) effort can do, even though as a game it had a much smaller budget and development time than the "true next gen" Sonic titles as some people wanted to call them prior to their release.

Of course, also worth noting is that these titles are made for last-gen as well as next gen and the Wii gets shafted by getting a port of the last-gen version as said lazy developers don't find it worthwhile to work on it separately on its own league as they should and as they do with the next-gen titles because the Wii sits somewhere in the middle.

Really, nobody should even have to make a post like this to explain things, all it takes is some basic knowledge and a little common sense. Why so many people seem to lack in both is beyond my understanding. Well, other than the dumb, inflated egos of people who feel better for themselves if they senselessly bash a given company.
Al3x 44

Postby topguy4 » 03 Apr 2007, 11:12

i think if Nintendo were developing this, you would see the difference, it seems developers now adays are just trying too cash in on movie-game tie ins, as it shows because that looks worse than my gran in a thong! its real shame because its bad publicity for the wii and nintendo, which is undeserved because they're the only 1s trying to move games forward, we seen what the ds can do with metroid, yet im still seeng shite like dream pony motherf**king land!!! sort ya necks out developers get a grip
topguy4 45

Postby Petebrolly » 03 Apr 2007, 11:39

Al3x wrote:Maybe you need to check out Super Mario Galaxy then.

Perhaps in stills it doesn't obviously look "better than X-Box"'s best offerings considering the Wii doesn't seem to have the same support for pixel shaders and other Direct X based effects (duh), but when seen in silky smooth motion it beats the crap out of any last gen game including GameCube and X-Box titles and it certainly looks totally next-gen even if it's not up to the standards of say, Gears of War, though a comparison like that is more or less useless given the different visual goals at hand.

The environments and models are smooth with almost no angles in sight (not just low-poly geometry "masked" with normal mapping or other effects), the textures varied, the bosses and most other elements look as good as graphics seen in CG "cartoon" movies, the lighting is fantastic, and there's a good range of visible special effects like some sort of bloom and even evident normal mapping-esque techniques alongside other material effects.

Notable scenes for the graphics are the spider boss fight, the gigantic metallic boss that Mario actually climbs on to defeat, and of course the octopus boss residing on (well, in) a lovely looking lava filled planet. The Prey-esque (but unlike that game it's heavily and greatly used here) gravity is also a great idea that helps showcase the system's power further not only as physics go but also with the freedom it gave the level designers. It's just amazing to see that kind of quality on every asteroid or planet and seamlessly travel between all of them in the blink of an eye.

Once again, a very important (for me at least) factor is that it's all running silky smooth, unlike the average X-Box (and sadly lately even 360) title for which developers seemed to push the graphics to levels the system(s) can't actually handle properly resulting in a crappy 30 frames per second instead of the expected and desirable (for a reason) since the late 32 bit era 60 fps. Way to go backwards isntead of forward.

As for lazy developers, yes they all are, though there are a few companies that have done one or two good looking titles showing there's some potential to be had. Sonic and the Secret Rings is a perfect example of what a little (not a lot of) effort can do, even though as a game it had a much smaller budget and development time than the "true next gen" Sonic titles as some people wanted to call them prior to their release.

Of course, also worth noting is that these titles are made for last-gen as well as next gen and the Wii gets shafted by getting a port of the last-gen version as said lazy developers don't find it worthwhile to work on it separately on its own league as they should and as they do with the next-gen titles because the Wii sits somewhere in the middle.

Really, nobody should even have to make a post like this to explain things, all it takes is some basic knowledge and a little common sense. Why so many people seem to lack in both is beyond my understanding. Well, other than the dumb, inflated egos of people who feel better for themselves if they senselessly bash a given company.

OK, first of all im not "senselessly bashing" Nintendo. I'm just a little disappointed in the graphics quality of games I've seen.

Secondly, I did say "In My Opinion", and whilst Mario Galaxy does look nice, I'm not so sure in my opinion that this couldn't be done on the original Xbox, although I could be wrong and I'm just basing this on what I have seen so far.

Why you needed to go on your rant is beyond me, other than a need to "defend" the console from a statement I had made, and to question fellow posters' intelligence on the basis of one post deters from the valid points you made and makes you seem like a bit of a fanboy (in my opinion), i mean why insult other people who are only giving their two cents?

I think the Wii is a great console, but I'm just expressing my disappointment of the graphics quality so far, lets say 99% of titles don't look as good as they should.

In my original post I was questioning whether or not it was the developers or the console itself and I simply said I found it hard to believe that all developers are simply being lazy and perhaps the machine isn't as powerful as we are being told.

I hope developers can start getting more out of the machine and I know "its not all about the graphics, BLAH. BLAH. BLAH" but when Wii games start looking worse than PS2 games, you can be forgiven for thinking either a) all the developers are lazy or b)the console itself is not that powerful.

I want to be proven wrong by Nintendo and these developers and I'm looking forward to seeing what Nintendo can really get out of this machine themselves.[/i]
Petebrolly 51

Stop press!

Postby User removed » 03 Apr 2007, 11:44

You don't say? Wii graphics looking last-gen? It's a new controller strapped (haha) strapped to old graphics hardware, What did you expect? Expect the difference to grow I say ...
User removed

Postby colonel whiskers » 03 Apr 2007, 11:57

Why has no one pointed out that the Kingdom hearts 2 POTC models look better then EITHER of these versions?
colonel whiskers 37

Postby the monk 21 » 03 Apr 2007, 12:12

they are taking the p**s they aren't even trying but I wouldn't buy it anyway I bought a Wii for Nintendos' games not some sub standard movie tie in that we have all seen before
the monk 21 40

Postby gbenlcfc » 03 Apr 2007, 13:16

Wii looks better than that. Nintendo has proved it can make games loook good on it. Why don't others start doing the same?! Not that it really matters i suppose.
gbenlcfc 44

Postby nb_nmare2 » 03 Apr 2007, 13:38

Umbrella Chronicles and Metroid Prime 3 will show other developers what the Wii is capable of :).
nb_nmare2 58

Postby Diddy_Kong » 03 Apr 2007, 13:43

I agree with Alex, looks like developers are spending all their budget on the 360/PS3 versions and cutting corners on the Wii version, just pure laziness
Diddy_Kong 44

Next