Resident Evil 4

Your comments on our articles.

Caution: may contain religious nuts

Resident Evil 4 is a good game lurking behind a bad conversion. In fact, saying it's "bad" is like saying Nietzsche was "a bit of a worrier" - it's as if Capcom gave someone a fiver to make their game work on the PC, and left it at that.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Resident Evil 4

Postby myoldfruity » 26 Mar 2007, 11:51

That - looks - awful!

FOR SHAME!
Xbox Live (360) Gamertag: SafeN8dog

-----------------------------------

Like a train through a pigeon.
myoldfruity 53

Postby Dajmin » 26 Mar 2007, 12:13

For a game that console lovers rave about (my little bro keeps insisting I get the GC version for my Wii), this doesn't sound like it's even worth looking at. Even the graphics are uninspiring.

The control problem sounds a lot like the one I had with Pro Evo Soccer 5, where it keep referring to the PS pads, but at least once you learn those controls you know what they are and don't have to look for a new one while in a tense situation.

A month's more development time and this could all have been fixed.
Xfire | Xbox Live | PSN: Dajmin
DAJMIN.COM - The Rock Star Gamer
Dajmin 63

Xbox Live: Dajmin
PSN ID: Dajmin
Steam: Dajmin
xFire: Dajmin

Play Gamecube RE4 on Wii

Postby Alex_Porter1 » 26 Mar 2007, 12:14

Well I'm an avid PC player - however I recently got hold of RE4 for Gamecube (easily the best version) which I play on my Wii. This actually stands up very well with modern PC games and whilst not as in depth as say my current top game SUPCOM is highly recommended. Just remember to play Gamecube games on the Wii you need a Gamecube controller. I got hold of a wireless Wavebird which does a fine job.

I think Capcom are working on a RE title for Wii (which will be fantastic with motion control)but in the meantime RE4 is still one of the best games on any console. :D
Alex_Porter1 18

Postby lmimmfn » 26 Mar 2007, 12:19

i wish companies would STOP these junk conversions, better off without them than people unknowingly buying them in the shops and adding revenue for such duff ports

Rainbow 6 Vegas is another example, while the conversion isint so bad from the conversion it suffers from:
1. Poor performance
2. Doesnt even have default PC resolutions like 1280x1024
3. Only supports the xbox controller, others dont work
4. Only a bare minimum of graphic options are available, hindering those with crud cards
5. The most terrible support i have ever witnessed in a PC game.
6. Terrible online, doesnt even have VoIP

Im no longer going to support ANY such conversions. If i see a conversion im interested in i will wait 4-6 weeks and check their forum for happy/unhappy campers, if it looks favourable ill pick up the title otherwise good luck

Vote with your wallets guys
lmimmfn 61

Postby Knight » 26 Mar 2007, 12:21

It was an absolute gem of a game to play, and will last you ages! I am of course refering to the Cube version of the game. If you have a Wii, I highly recommend you buy yourself a copy online or find one in a bargain bin to play.
Knight 55

Postby Mr Vengeance » 26 Mar 2007, 14:30

It truly is in the top 3 of the best games of the past gen for sure :)
I'm still great and you're still a smelly tosser
Mr Vengeance 62

Postby MarcuFenix » 26 Mar 2007, 15:20

This game is probably one of the best games ever made and its a shame that it recieved a very poor conversion to the PC. Thats the problem when you take a made for console game and try and port it to a PC without consideration of how PC users would play actually play the game. Had it not be for RE4, I still wouldn't even be playing the Wii anymore.
MarcuFenix 49

Postby Mogs » 26 Mar 2007, 15:32

I have completed the PC version of this. Graphically, it's pretty pathetic. However, as long as you have a decent controller, it's still an awesome game.

If you don't have a console, but do have a PC, I seriously recommend playing it. Great game.
Mogs 60

Postby creamerybutter » 26 Mar 2007, 16:21

Why does the first shot show a left stick needing to be shook? Are those images from the PS2 one or something?
Please note the views expressed in this post do not necessarily reflect the views of creamerybutter Ltd.
creamerybutter 74

Xbox Live: creamerybutter
PSN ID: iratefishmonger
Wii Code: U-iratefishmonger

Postby nb_nmare2 » 26 Mar 2007, 17:06

"It no longer concerns the exhausted Raccoon City, either. Set in region of Eastern Europe..."

Erm, since when was Spain in Eastern Europe?
nb_nmare2 58

Postby MarcuFenix » 26 Mar 2007, 21:07

Lol, some other gamming site did the same thing with calling it Eastern Europe, when you can clearly hear the ganados cursing at you in spanish.
MarcuFenix 49

Postby Tricky_Rich » 26 Mar 2007, 21:55

I had a big rant about this shoddy conversion on the PC forum, it's dated March 7th, if anyone wants to check it out.
Tricky_Rich 54

Postby Al3x » 26 Mar 2007, 23:02

The developers of Resident Evil: Twilight, a Half-Life 2 modification, have released an - unofficial - patch for Resident Evil 4 PC which allows FPS-like aiming using the mouse. It might help with the control issues somewhat, for the poor souls that bought it in that state. Click here to get it, it's the last file in that list.
Al3x 44

Postby Zigzagoon » 27 Mar 2007, 14:22

Resident Evil 4 is easily one of the best games ever, but I just knew they'd give it a shite PC conversion. As soon as I heard that there was no mouse controls in it, I knew it would be bad. Though aiming with the mouse would make it absurdly easy, Resident Evil 4 could never work on just a keyboard and PC gamers are really missing out on a truely fantastic game.

For a game that console lovers rave about (my little bro keeps insisting I get the GC version for my Wii), this doesn't sound like it's even worth looking at. Even the graphics are uninspiring.

If you own a console that can run Gamecube games and you don't have Resident Evil 4 then you need psychiatric help.
"What's so great about Newton? 'E discovered gravity an' that but it wasn't like we were floatin' about or anythin'" - Karl Pilkington
Zigzagoon 65

Xbox Live: Osafune2
PSN ID: Osafune2

Postby Nagi21 » 03 Oct 2008, 03:29

Ok... I played this... and I noticed 2 things:

#1: RE has s**tty controls anyway.

#2: It's not that different if you have a gamepad

In short: It's just a bit short of the gamecube version in that, but is worth it for the extras... then again the PS2 version beats all so....
Nagi21 1