to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Wii has a lot of "horsepower under the hood" says

Your comments on our articles.

Radical Entertainment producer backs Wii's technical ability

In support of Wii's technical ability, Geoff Thomas, producer at Radical Entertainment told CVG that Nintendo's console can pack a fair punch in the graphical department.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Wii has a lot of "horsepower under the hood" says

Postby jaycee900 » 02 Mar 2007, 17:49

Wow a next gen console just managing to surpass a last gen console in graphics, thats hardly having a lot of "power under the hood"
jaycee900 42
 
Posts: 377
Joined: 28 Sep 2001, 19:56
Location: United Kingdom

Postby lmimmfn » 02 Mar 2007, 18:57

yeah, that comment about the Wii being even better than the XBox or PS2, thats just stupid, of course its supposed to be better, even the GC is better than the PS2
User avatar
lmimmfn 61
 
Posts: 3885
Joined: 24 Sep 2003, 13:55
Location: Ireland

Postby bizbaz45 » 02 Mar 2007, 19:26

The GC was better than the Xbox as well, acording to some dev who's name I cant think of.
He was saying that the only thing that stoped the GC was the lack of memory or something like that.
But if you used all the built in stuff in the GC you could make games that were amazing to look at.
User avatar
bizbaz45 51
 
Posts: 244
Joined: 11 Jan 2002, 23:12
Location: United Kingdom

Postby MarcuFenix » 02 Mar 2007, 19:34

I think the actual issue here is that even though the Wii is more capable of doing graphic heavy stuff - considering its suppose to be twice as powerful as the last gen consoles - Nintendo themselves don't seem to be encouraging developers to actually make use of its power, instead to focus more on the "innovative" controls and less on the quality of graphics. Thus resulting in simplistic games that really don't have too much of a replay value (unless you're under 12 or over 40 or like simple games). Well atleast thats the case for SOME of the current crop of games that appears to be comming out this year.

Their idea was to focus on non-gamers and get their attention because they're not as critical of the graphics as the core gamers are - which is exactly what Nintendo has done. I personally think it kinda defeats the purpose of having that much power "under the hood". If thats all their focused on, why not just re-make the GameCube with the Wii controls?

Perhaps later on down the road, and its inevitable that this will happen, developers will put out game that actually makes use of the Wii's power.
MarcuFenix 49
 
Posts: 850
Joined: 26 Feb 2007, 16:51
Location: United States

Postby jaycee900 » 02 Mar 2007, 19:47

MarcuFenix wrote:I think the actual issue here is that even though the Wii is more capable of doing graphic heavy stuff - considering its suppose to be twice as powerful as the last gen consoles - Nintendo themselves don't seem to be encouraging developers to actually make use of its power, instead to focus more on the "innovative" controls and less on the quality of graphics. Thus resulting in simplistic games that really don't have too much of a replay value (unless you're under 12 or over 40 or like simple games). Well atleast thats the case for SOME of the current crop of games that appears to be comming out this year.

Their idea was to focus on non-gamers and get their attention because they're not as critical of the graphics as the core gamers are - which is exactly what Nintendo has done. I personally think it kinda defeats the purpose of having that much power "under the hood". If thats all their focused on, why not just re-make the GameCube with the Wii controls?

Perhaps later on down the road, and its inevitable that this will happen, developers will put out game that actually makes use of the Wii's power.

You're a fool to think they havent tapped most of the wii's power, loads of developers know its way underpowered to run games on ps3 and 360, even Far Cry is crap compared to the XBox 1 version, it hasnt simply got the power, the components are cheap inside the wii, the main cost is the controllers, it was supposed to be released at £199 simply because the hardware inside are cheap components.
Dont fool yourself, its another virtual boy of sorts, more gadget than games machine. (and yes i did own both of those!)
jaycee900 42
 
Posts: 377
Joined: 28 Sep 2001, 19:56
Location: United Kingdom

Postby ianf » 02 Mar 2007, 20:07

jaycee900 wrote:
MarcuFenix wrote:I think the actual issue here is that even though the Wii is more capable of doing graphic heavy stuff - considering its suppose to be twice as powerful as the last gen consoles - Nintendo themselves don't seem to be encouraging developers to actually make use of its power, instead to focus more on the "innovative" controls and less on the quality of graphics. Thus resulting in simplistic games that really don't have too much of a replay value (unless you're under 12 or over 40 or like simple games). Well atleast thats the case for SOME of the current crop of games that appears to be comming out this year.

Their idea was to focus on non-gamers and get their attention because they're not as critical of the graphics as the core gamers are - which is exactly what Nintendo has done. I personally think it kinda defeats the purpose of having that much power "under the hood". If thats all their focused on, why not just re-make the GameCube with the Wii controls?

Perhaps later on down the road, and its inevitable that this will happen, developers will put out game that actually makes use of the Wii's power.

You're a fool to think they havent tapped most of the wii's power, loads of developers know its way underpowered to run games on ps3 and 360, even Far Cry is crap compared to the XBox 1 version, it hasnt simply got the power, the components are cheap inside the wii, the main cost is the controllers, it was supposed to be released at £199 simply because the hardware inside are cheap components.
Dont fool yourself, its another virtual boy of sorts, more gadget than games machine. (and yes i did own both of those!)
You bought a virtual boy? :lol:
The Wii isn't double the power of the last gen consoles, however it is slightly more powerful. These are first generation games being released on the Wii, the graphics will improve with time like happens with all consoles. Even the 360's launch titles weren't that big a step up from the last generations. (Yes, I know the 360 is significantly more powerful than the Wii.)
Get a job you love, and you'll never have to work a day in your life.
User avatar
ianf 48
 
Posts: 513
Joined: 03 Jun 2006, 17:16
Location: United Kingdom

Postby android-sheep » 02 Mar 2007, 20:49

The GC was better than the Xbox as well, acording to some dev

Nope the xbox was twice as powerful as the gamecube. the problem was with the developers only ever managing to use about 70 percent of the power, most developers used less. Which means if you made a list of best looking games of the last generation, most would be gamecube games some would even be ps2 games. It isn’t what the hardware can do for you, its what you do with it that counts.

As for the Wii, that itself from what I understand is about an xbox 1.5 in terms of the power it has. Currently though developers seem to think the remote will sell the game on its own. WRONG, if the developers can make a game that looks better than, lets say halo 2, there isn’t any reason for them to not to do that.

Its nice to see though the makers of this game make at least some effort though, unlike the disgrace that is ubisoft.
User avatar
android-sheep 56
 
Posts: 1897
Joined: 14 Feb 2007, 13:58

Postby Richyrich316 » 02 Mar 2007, 21:11

The Wii is around twice the power of the GC the reason that some of the games dont look that much better is that developers have been lazy in terms of certain games.

You cannot take into account games llike Zelda really because everyone knows it was originally a GC title

Red steel is not a bad looking launch title considering the machine is not as powerful as its competition.

But the 3rd parties do have to start bucking their ideas up though & soon as ports of older titles with some new control scheme aint gonna cut it forever.
Richyrich316 53
 
Posts: 1748
Joined: 15 Nov 2006, 19:23
Location: United Kingdom

Postby MarcuFenix » 02 Mar 2007, 21:49

You're a fool to think they havent tapped most of the wii's power, loads of developers know its way underpowered to run games on ps3 and 360, even Far Cry is crap compared to the XBox 1 version


WTF, are you serious? The current crop of games for the Wii, aside from Zelda and few others could EASILY be reproduced on the N64 and other 5th generation consoles. Nothing on the Wii has been fully exploited. Everyone was exicted about Metroid Prime and Resident Evil 4 for their quality graphics, and those were just Gamecube games, and the Wii is twice as powerful so obviously more can be done. As far as Far Cry for the Wii, well thats a duh statement. Everyone knew that was crap, graphics was crap, controls was crap and obivously was a weak attempt to port a graphic heavy game to mainly focus on using Wii controls. Same goes for Call of Duty and Marvels Alliance. Their main focus was getting the controls to work...somewhat right. And even if they did max it out on the Wii, obviously it won't look as good as the 360 or PS3.

Like me and others have said before, alot of the developers are just not trying to push the Wii's graphics capabilities. Its not being encouraged by Nintendo, and in the long run it may just bite them in the ass.
MarcuFenix 49
 
Posts: 850
Joined: 26 Feb 2007, 16:51
Location: United States

Postby AJDarkstar » 02 Mar 2007, 22:52

Am I the only one who thinks graphics should always come second to gameplay? So far, many Wii games have been way more fun than any other console's games (playing Wii Sports on launch day, I had more fun than I'd had playing games in years -- and then I put in Zelda, and was blown away).
The point is, Nintendo think graphics play second fiddle to a good game. Now, third parties don't count here, they can do what they want, but Nintendo made the mistake of pursuing power with the N64, and it got them nowhere. Casual gamers love graphics, but still chose P$X over the far superior N64. The GC was under-powered compared to what Nintendo could have done, hence the £130 launch day price tag (yes, I always get Nintendo consoles, and always on or before UK launch where possible).
Besides, if graphics mattered for a console's life so much, why does the DS continue to outsell the crappy P$P? Games, my friends. And innovation.
Stop being graphics whores.
And yes, you may think of me as a Nintendo fan boy, but remember their heritage. They invented many things we all take for granted -- the d-pad, shoulder buttons, rumble, analogue sticks for 3D games (I know they didn't technically invent it, but no one else thought of applying it to 3D games), platform games, scrolling platformers.... they've been around since 1889. They've seen a lot. They know fun, and that's what games should be about. Sure, PGR3 is alright once in a while, but sometimes I need Mario Kart just because it's so unreal. And that's the whole point, is it not?
AJDarkstar 47
 
Posts: 1144
Joined: 28 Sep 2004, 05:56
Location: United Kingdom
Xbox Live: A J Darkstar
PSN ID: AJDarkstar
Steam: AJDarkstar

Postby AlbertStoots » 02 Mar 2007, 23:08

jaycee900 wrote:
MarcuFenix wrote:I think the actual issue here is that even though the Wii is more capable of doing graphic heavy stuff - considering its suppose to be twice as powerful as the last gen consoles - Nintendo themselves don't seem to be encouraging developers to actually make use of its power, instead to focus more on the "innovative" controls and less on the quality of graphics. Thus resulting in simplistic games that really don't have too much of a replay value (unless you're under 12 or over 40 or like simple games). Well atleast thats the case for SOME of the current crop of games that appears to be comming out this year.

Their idea was to focus on non-gamers and get their attention because they're not as critical of the graphics as the core gamers are - which is exactly what Nintendo has done. I personally think it kinda defeats the purpose of having that much power "under the hood". If thats all their focused on, why not just re-make the GameCube with the Wii controls?

Perhaps later on down the road, and its inevitable that this will happen, developers will put out game that actually makes use of the Wii's power.

You're a fool to think they havent tapped most of the wii's power, loads of developers know its way underpowered to run games on ps3 and 360, even Far Cry is crap compared to the XBox 1 version, it hasnt simply got the power, the components are cheap inside the wii, the main cost is the controllers, it was supposed to be released at £199 simply because the hardware inside are cheap components.
Dont fool yourself, its another virtual boy of sorts, more gadget than games machine. (and yes i did own both of those!)


That's an unfair comment, there are FAR better looking games on Wii than the shite Far Cry. Developers think its acceptable to port a game from other consoles, tack on some Wii controls and release it. These developers need to focus on ways to use the Wii remote in ways that IMPROVE the game. If developers can use complex code on 360 and PS3 to make great graphics, surely it can't be hard to push the Wii to it's limits?
User avatar
AlbertStoots 46
 
Posts: 397
Joined: 10 Jan 2006, 12:48
Location: United Kingdom

Postby MACacd » 02 Mar 2007, 23:43

watched game play footage of Godfather on gamespot and its no better than the PS2 version of the game.
MACacd 40
 
Posts: 34
Joined: 15 Nov 1999, 22:06
Location: United Kingdom

Postby pgt103 » 03 Mar 2007, 00:01

AJDarkstar wrote:Am I the only one who thinks graphics should always come second to gameplay? So far, many Wii games have been way more fun than any other console's games (playing Wii Sports on launch day, I had more fun than I'd had playing games in years -- and then I put in Zelda, and was blown away).
... Sure, PGR3 is alright once in a while, but sometimes I need Mario Kart just because it's so unreal. And that's the whole point, is it not?


I'm with you on this - I was at a mate's playing multiplayer Wii Play and Sports (and the graphics on that are shocking) recently - about as much fun as i've had playing games in a long time.

As serveral others have said, the real issue is lazy ports with barely working wii controls on it - the console comes into it's own when developers make an effort - e.g. can't wait for SSX Blur
pgt103 32
 
Posts: 44
Joined: 25 May 2006, 10:30
Location: United Kingdom

Postby Diddy_Kong » 03 Mar 2007, 02:31

MACacd wrote:watched game play footage of Godfather on gamespot and its no better than the PS2 version of the game.


yeah I thought that, though im just hoping that they've spent most of their time on the controls thus far (which, credit where credits due, I think EA have done a fine job with this game)

All I don't understand is how for the time being, the graphics for third party games have gone backwards and not forwards! Some right lazy developers out there who can't seem to multi task doing decent controls and decent graphics at the same time...probably been resting on their laurels.
Diddy_Kong 44
 
Posts: 144
Joined: 14 Jan 2005, 18:48
Location: United Kingdom

Postby MarcuFenix » 03 Mar 2007, 03:12

Nintendo made the mistake of pursuing power with the N64, and it got them nowhere. Casual gamers love graphics, but still chose P$X over the far superior N64


Now..thats a bit of an understatement. There are plenty of reasons why everyone chose the Playstation over the N64, and its not because of the "mistake" of the N64 being a more powerful system. Even though it was a 64-bit system while the PS1 was 32-bit, many other factors made it technically inferiror to the PS1. But thats a different discussion :)
MarcuFenix 49
 
Posts: 850
Joined: 26 Feb 2007, 16:51
Location: United States

Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Hans Carmichel and 3 guests

The forum teamDelete all forum cookiesAll times are UTC [ DST ]