Microsoft to take Wii approach with 360?

Your comments on our articles.

Peter Moore talks of a new strategy in the face of competition from fun-focused Wii

Xbox Microsoft boss Peter Moore has hinted at a change in strategy for Xbox 360 going into 2007, to compete with the mainstream appeal of Nintendo's fun-focused Wii.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Microsoft to take Wii approach with 360?

Postby steve_2003 » 26 Feb 2007, 13:19

I think it's a great idea for the 360, the console already has a huge amount of titles lined up for the older market (Shooters, Action/Adventure, driving etc.).

Adding more titles for a younger audience just makes perfect sense, guitar hero & Viva pinata are a good start, but with the Vision Camera being able to use motion control, you may as well use it. 8)
steve_2003 64

Postby DeejUK » 26 Feb 2007, 14:05

I'm well up for this. Yes, it will be "ripping off" Nintendo, but I think we all knew that Nintendo were defining the future when the Wiimote was unveiled. Anything to make FPS and RTS games less clunky will be welcome. Anyone remember the rumours of a new FPS-centered controller?
DeejUK 59

Postby Mogs » 26 Feb 2007, 14:06

If something is successful, Mircrosoft will rip it off. It's inevitable.
Mogs 60

Postby DeejUK » 26 Feb 2007, 14:08

Mogs wrote:If something is successful, Mircrosoft will rip it off. It's inevitable.

If people didn't 'rip off' Pong, we wouldn't have a games industry. It's flattering to Nintendo if nothing else.

I've always thought about the weakness in Ninty's strategy. As the Wiimote is just a controller, anyone can implement their own version, and then bang - no more USP.
DeejUK 59

Postby Fallen_Angel1 » 26 Feb 2007, 14:16

To be fair, Microsoft did come up with the tilt controller first, since it was in a decade old sidewinder :P But it was inevitable that if the Wii was successful, alot of its innovation would be copied, but that's the way the industry works, everyone copying off each other.
Fallen_Angel1 55

Postby Mogs » 26 Feb 2007, 14:22

DeejUK wrote:
Mogs wrote:If something is successful, Mircrosoft will rip it off. It's inevitable.

If people didn't 'rip off' Pong, we wouldn't have a games industry. It's flattering to Nintendo if nothing else.

I've always thought about the weakness in Ninty's strategy. As the Wiimote is just a controller, anyone can implement their own version, and then bang - no more USP.

I think it's a good thing. But for the next generation. Nintendo deserve to hoarde the success of their innovation this time around.

I'm sure they will have patented whatever they can. I'd imagine it would be very hard for MS to make something that takes advantage of motion control to the extent that the Wii does.
Last edited by Mogs on 26 Feb 2007, 14:24, edited 1 time in total.
Mogs 60

Postby horngreen » 26 Feb 2007, 14:23

You mean like the Hard Drive they implemented along with LIVE and downloadable content now being copied by Sony and Nintendo?
horngreen 51

Postby Mogs » 26 Feb 2007, 14:36

horngreen wrote:

You mean like the Hard Drive they implemented along with LIVE and downloadable content now being copied by Sony and Nintendo?

Well Sony don't seem to have an original thought between them, and even Nintendo aren't above copying. I suppose the point I'm making is MS haven't really taken any risks this time around. The 360 is basically an incremental update with unimaginative improvments. Nintendo have taken a risk and it's paying off. For MS to come along NOW (like Sony have tried to do) and basically jump on the bandwagon would be pathetic and would show a lack of confidence in their own product.

In the next generation of consoles, sure, anything goes. But for this generation, Nintendo have walked the minefield and deserve to reap the rewards for emerging unscathed. Any sudden moves by MS to release motion control hardware should be treated with a great deal of cynicism (if that is even what they're doing - the article was pretty vague).
Mogs 60

Postby English_Crusader » 26 Feb 2007, 15:24

horngreen wrote:

No i think he means this (Bill Gates) "Oh look Sony are making a killing with the Playstation!!! Lets bring out our own console and call it something really cheesey like 'Xbox' and get even more money and screw the public even more!!!" or "WOW look at how many ipods are being sold! lets bring out our own Mp3 player just so i can have more money than god"
English_Crusader 49

Postby Richyrich316 » 26 Feb 2007, 15:38

Yeah Xbox is cheesy & calling it a "Playstation" isn't cheesy at all or naming a console after a bodily function...

If people want to be picky you could say that others ripped MS sidewinder controller on PC as it had a tilt function long before Ninty or Sony released theirs?

I like the idea of more Fun family based titles on 360 though it needs a broader range of titles.

& at least if this "new" controller or innovation is a rip off as long as its done well & not tacked on *cough sixaxis* then it could be worth a shot with the right software supporting it.
Richyrich316 53

Postby User removed » 26 Feb 2007, 16:12

This is evolution and is inevitable in any industry. If it's a good idea and works then the idea will evolve with other manufacturers. That's the way of the world.

What about when Mr Ford built his first car ? Everyone copied his steering wheel idea. Is every car manufacturer supposed to come up with a new control method just so they're not accused of copying ?

Regardless of the control mechanism consoles live and die by the software developed for them. Sony, Microsoft, whoever can copy any idea but if it's implemented badly it'll be their downfall.
User removed

Postby Trevor_Compton » 26 Feb 2007, 16:32

AND the rest of them including Ninty but it would be nice if a company comes up with something original they and they alone make the profit from it.

But why dont they all make a console say call it MSN lol Micrsoft Sony Nintendo and say have it at areasonable price £250 with a game and a controller and a 5 year future so after every 5 years a new one comes out.

So have Ninty design it for gameplay, Microsoft do the online side, and Sony erm make the parts

So imagine a console that has Mario, Master Chief, GT
on the one console.

We could only wish

I wonder what a ps3/360/wii would look like
Trevor_Compton 53

Postby User removed » 26 Feb 2007, 18:01

Trevor_Compton wrote:

AND the rest of them including Ninty but it would be nice if a company comes up with something original they and they alone make the profit from it.

But why dont they all make a console say call it MSN lol Micrsoft Sony Nintendo and say have it at areasonable price £250 with a game and a controller and a 5 year future so after every 5 years a new one comes out.

So have Ninty design it for gameplay, Microsoft do the online side, and Sony erm make the parts

So imagine a console that has Mario, Master Chief, GT
on the one console.

We could only wish

I wonder what a ps3/360/wii would look like

what'd that be... a ...
pee-es-six-twii?

Anywho, i'm pretty certain it won't be a motion sensitive thing. i just got me a feelin...
User removed

Postby kelechi » 26 Feb 2007, 18:38

Microsoft is under some kind of delusion.

The 360 and fun are at opposite ends of a scale.

Xbox 360 <-----------------------------Fun-------------Wii>
kelechi 48

Postby jip100 » 26 Feb 2007, 19:26

Mogs wrote:ntent now being copied by Sony and Nintendo?

Well Sony don't seem to have an original thought between them, and even Nintendo aren't above copying. I suppose the point I'm making is MS haven't really taken any risks this time around. The 360 is basically an incremental update with unimaginative improvments. Nintendo have taken a risk and it's paying off. For MS to come along NOW (like Sony have tried to do) and basically jump on the bandwagon would be pathetic and would show a lack of confidence in their own product.

[/quote]

eyetoy - nuff said
jip100 59

Next