to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Wii tops January sales in US

Your comments on our articles.

Xbox 360 takes second while PS3 trails

Wii beat off Xbox 360 and PS3 over in the US having sold through 436,000 units in January, according figures released by NPD Group Inc.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Postby Richyrich316 » 21 Feb 2007, 10:39

Good news for Wii & Nintendo, I would put its sales more down to the price & for some the controller may be a novelty until they get to grips with it as more non-gamers are more tempted to buy a Wii as they were with the DS.

Hate to point out the obvious but not so good news for Sony though but at least they are still selling a reasonable amount of units.
Richyrich316 53

Postby darksurge » 21 Feb 2007, 10:48

It makes me wonder if this site is anti Sony. While i agree the figures posted are indeed correct they fail to mention that PS2 was actually second with over 299,000.
Here`s a novel thought for you CVG why don`t you post a story with the full facts instead of trying to spin it to cause yet more arguments between the various fanboys.
darksurge 33

Re: Wii tops January sales in US

Postby AlienStorm » 21 Feb 2007, 10:56

darksurge wrote:It makes me wonder if this site is anti Sony. While i agree the figures posted are indeed correct they fail to mention that PS2 was actually second with over 299,000.
Here`s a novel thought for you CVG why don`t you post a story with the full facts instead of trying to spin it to cause yet more arguments between the various fanboys.

Maybe they are only interested in next-gen consoles? They didn't mention the DS, did they? Just an idea... :idea:
AlienStorm 42

Postby Mr_A_Hulse » 21 Feb 2007, 11:05

AlienStorm wrote:
darksurge wrote:It makes me wonder if this site is anti Sony. While i agree the figures posted are indeed correct they fail to mention that PS2 was actually second with over 299,000.

Maybe they are only interested in next-gen consoles? They didn't mention the DS, did they? Just an idea... :idea:

Agreed, it’s about the next gen race not all consoles.

I think the 360 is worth a mention here, it’s been out a year and it’s still selling very well indeed. Are PS3s in the same position as Wiis, I mean are they in short supply in the States?
Mr_A_Hulse 63

PSN ID: NotoriousA_N_T
Wii Code: Wii U NotoriousANT

Postby iainbyoung » 21 Feb 2007, 11:09

Mr_A_Hulse wrote:Are PS3s in the same position as Wiis, I mean are they in short supply in the States?

No, you can walk into pretty much any store in the US and buy a PS3 off the shelf. There are still waiting lists for the wii
iainbyoung 47

Postby BlindFish » 21 Feb 2007, 11:17

You're obviously not a Sony fanboy...

Anyway, surely selling more PS2s isn't such a good thing for Sony? If I were a games publisher I'd be tempted to carry on making games for the PS2: there's a well established and still growing user base, devs have got plenty of experience producing games on it, the lower power probably means that less work has to go into producing game models etc... Basically costs are going to be cheaper and the potential return far greater.

In fact it seems to me that Sony could become the victims of their own success with the PS2... will the casual gamers who bought that console really want to fork out the high price for an upgrade to PS3? Perhaps in a couple of years, once it has come down to a more reasonable price... but by then those casual gamers may have opted for another console - i.e. 360 or Wii. Whichever way you look at it, things just aren't looking too good for Sony at the moment...
BlindFish 47

Postby Richyrich316 » 21 Feb 2007, 11:41

Blindfish be very careful you know that the Sony loyalists will want to rip you lungs out for such comments.

But I do agree & have been saying similar things regarding the PS2/3 A lot of people have & are picking up PS2's because they are cheap & there a loads of games at cheap prices available when they see the price of PS3 they just simply do not want to buy a console for that kind of cash or just simply cannot afford it.

It may change after PS3 comes down to a sensible price for a games machine but by then it could be a little late for Sony as many will have got tired of waiting for that & bought Wii's or 360's & others may just get tired of gaming as a hobby & just not bother at all.
Richyrich316 53

Marketing triumphs

Postby User removed » 21 Feb 2007, 11:44

It can't be a bad thing whenever consumers are given choices and really different ones at that. The Wii is a radical departure from previous launches in terms of focus and product development. I, for one, am not jumping on that bandwagon, but it's ace that we are presented with these very different systems.

Good one for Nintendo.
User removed

Postby steven_h1 » 21 Feb 2007, 12:27

Richyrich316 wrote:Good news for Wii & Nintendo, I would put its sales more down to the price & for some the controller may be a novelty until they get to grips with it as more non-gamers are more tempted to buy a Wii as they were with the DS.

I can't see how sales were due to price. The Wii was only about £20 cheaper that the Xbox360 core. Everyone knows the Wii console is overpriced for what it is.

By the way, it now looks like the Wii is about £30 more expensive than the Xbox360 core which you can buy at Play.com for £149.99:-

http://www.play.com/Games/Xbox360/4-/71 ... P36=4ZTYHP
steven_h1 48

Postby topguy4 » 21 Feb 2007, 12:32

ermm darksurge...if you look back in the archives back to e3 of 2004 before the ds was released, or 2005 i can't remember which, you'll read through them saying they fully expect the psp to win and the ds is jus a stupid idea, well yeah CVG fell flat on there arse, as have most of the people who doubted nintendo's policy, my point is they clearly aren't anti sony, its not cubed3, they're not devoted to one console they have many different editors for all the next gen consoles, they should do one devoted to the VC but thats covered well enough, my point is...shut up
topguy4 45

Postby topguy4 » 21 Feb 2007, 12:33

oh yeah p.s COME ON UN1TED!!! STUPID FRENCH FROGS HAHAH 0-1 0-1 0-1 :D:D:D
topguy4 45

Postby raven_blade2003 » 21 Feb 2007, 14:17

Off Topic. Man Utd FTW, Lille are an absolute disgrace...
raven_blade2003 38

Postby nintendo is the » 21 Feb 2007, 14:24

steven_h1 wrote:
Richyrich316 wrote:Good news for Wii & Nintendo, I would put its sales more down to the price & for some the controller may be a novelty until they get to grips with it as more non-gamers are more tempted to buy a Wii as they were with the DS.

I can't see how sales were due to price. The Wii was only about £20 cheaper that the Xbox360 core. Everyone knows the Wii console is overpriced for what it is.

By the way, it now looks like the Wii is about £30 more expensive than the Xbox360 core which you can buy at Play.com for £149.99:-

http://www.play.com/Games/Xbox360/4-/71 ... P36=4ZTYHP

ye but the 360 core doesn't have a hardrive!!!!! the wii actually has a decentish amount of memory!!! and no 1 buys the core units!!!
There's a page missing!!! Yeah, I thought of that. Perhaps that was the most important part!!
nintendo is the 51

Xbox Live: ian the bassist

Postby Crow555 » 21 Feb 2007, 14:57

And get a HDD for just over £50, You have a console that can go on Live. The only thing is you have a wired controller instead of wireless and no headset. That's £200 well spent in my opinion.
Crow555 64

Xbox Live: Crow555
PSN ID: Crow_555

Postby User removed » 21 Feb 2007, 14:58

I don't understand why people keep dissing the Wii. It's sold extremely well, way more than nintendo expected it to. It has already sold over 4 million units worldwide, not including 2007 sales for Europe and Australia (I couldn't find those numbers.)

The Wii has been perennially sold out in the US, yet it still ended up in first place, selling nearly twice that of the PS3. There are waiting lines for the Wii 4 months after the launch. The real question would be: How many units would the Wii be selling if it were not sold out?

Personally, even if the Wii has sold extremely well, it has a long way to catch up with the X360, which I seriously doubt it will ever catch. A one year lead start and a much bigger game library make the X360 a much more desirable product right now. But the bulk of the X360 sales have taken place in the US, it's only normal that sales have slowed down, allowing the Wii to slip to first place. My guess would be that more than a few of these Wii buyers also own a X360, as it is not that far fetched to think that a person who already owns a X360 would pony up an extra $250 for a Wii (which is very different to the X360 gameplay wise) than spending $600 for a console that is very similar to the X360, gameplay wise.
User removed

Next